Sponsored By:  

My trip to the Ring (June) who’s been before?

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by mike_snowdon, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hi folks,
    I’ve eventually got my trip to the ring sorted for June 2018, going to be the last port of call on my Europe road trip (in case it goes wrong)
    But if anyone can help with Europe info that would be great along the lines of insurance, how to get cheap hotel/motel/camping or people to use like a euro travelodge? Also is there a Euro wide brake down cover? I’ll be covering at least Belgium, Germany, poland, Czech, Austria and Italy.
    Sorry for the general question but any help will be greatly revived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey4410 likes this.
  2. take a look at http://nurburgring.org.uk/ good information on there to start you off... Do NOT get AA cover as they exclude big area around the 'Ring...

andrewjeffs and mike_snowdon like this.
  3. Get breakdown cover from ADAC, they are the only people who can remove you off the "ring" if you breakdown or crash, otherwise its a 500eur fee just for recovery. Have fun, don't aim for lap times (timing is now banned anyway) and most importantly don't crash. in regards to accommodation, we stopped in Pinocchio apartments in adenau would highly recommend.

mike_snowdon likes this.
  4. ADAC definitely for recovery and we always stay at the Blau Ecke in Adenau, good old school German hotel. Drive the 'ring as if it is a country road that you don't know, not a race track until you know it really well!!

mike_snowdon likes this.
  5. How much does ADAC charge for getting you off the ring then

6. APM

APM RSM Trader

Best thing to do is get yourself there, walk round the car park, talk to people and try and pinch a passenger ride from a few cars.

Tourist days are generally very very busy now which can come with problems, especially weekends. So for first timers it's not ideal as there is a lot to take in.

My advice is to book accommodation asap if you know dates already. If you leave it 2-5weeks before going in busy times you can sometimes expect all the usual (cheapest) and best places to be fully booked.
    Some listed here: http://nurburgring.org.uk/where_to_stay.php Hotel An Der Nordschleife, could be a good place to start with.

What date are you expecting to go? Note: 3rd-5th June is a good time to go (being open 3 full days) if you want to get some good practice in without the need to rush out there because it's only open for an afternoon.

Thurs 15th June should be quieter as its during the week and scheduled to be open all day also.

If you do decide to go out in your own car, watch your mirrors for fast cars, keep to the right to let them pass, take your time and relax.

If I am out there during the same time (which we normally are if popular periods), either I or one of our cars will willingly take you out and give you some guidance. If not, I can give you a number to speak to a friend who runs a hotel there, he offers training as well as cars that you can rent for a chosen period of time. He is very hospitable.

mike_snowdon likes this.
  7. I'm out there over Easter. To be honest, I don't tend to do much driving, as I can't be doing with the risk, but the atmosphere is well worth it and usually try to do a ring Taxi while I'm there.

We usually stay in Hotel An Der Nordschleife, as it's located pretty well, with shops and plenty of places to eat near by. There are quite a few of us going this year though, so we've rented a couple of chalets instead.

mike_snowdon likes this.
  8. And watch the weather.
    If its raining,be ultra careful.
    Last time we went,they had had a 24 hour race a few days before,and the track was covered in fresh rubber.
    When it rained on it,it was like ice.

It can also be dry on one part of the circuit,and be raining somewhere else.
    Most frightening moment i had, was sliding from one side of the track to the other, after a sharp shower,when arriving from a bone dry track.

Watch your mirrors for GT3`s going 100mph faster than you are!they are on you in a fraction of a second.

I was surprised at how rural the whole area around the track is.We hired bikes, and rode round the circuit on the cycle tracks.
    amazing to see cars testing,pissing past you on the limit,when feet away.

If you love cars..you have to go to experience it.
    Just dont crash or blow up!...It could cost you thousands.

9. My mate has twice blown up on the track in his EK9 civic turbo..both times recovered from the track and then shipped home by ADAC.
    Really helped that he spoke fluent german when dealing with all the paperwork.

Unbelievably,he blew up for a third time, last year ,in the poxy thing.
    This time though,he made the huge error of using the AA..and guess what...They wouldnt cover him,or recover the car.

Cost him a arm and a leg to get it back.

10. Lord yes for this. I spun on my first ever lap in the wet. Poo shot out lol.

11. Thursday the 15th June ????? you are looking at last years calendar
    And there bank holidays are on Thursdays that is why it is open all day, went last year on a Thursday, then found out it was a bank holiday at the hotel, was told to get there very first thing to get a quite few laps in and it was great, also had the added bonus of the F1 track as well, don't forget that a bank holiday is 30 euros even if it's a Thursday, you don't by laps anymore you pre pay an amount on a card.

Evening sessions can be a lot quieter, so be a good idea maybe the day before, if it's wet it will be like roller skating on an ice rink, it's very slippery same if it's damp.

You need to spend at least 50% of your time looking in your mirrors, at least 50%, no joke You have mrs Granny doing 30mph you doing 60-70 mph and Gt3 rs 130+ in the same place.

Take your time and enjoy

BIG E likes this.
  12. ha ha...you can see how people get caught out.
    i just out-braked myself once, last time there..luckily i had somewhere to go..which most of the time you dont!

Also be super aware of accidents...you can find sometimes..4-5 each lap you are on.
    Sometimes you will have to brake extremely hard when approaching a unseen accident area.
    So give yourself loads of room to the car infront..

13. These are all full days at the ring that are not weekends, as it stands at the moment, changes are possible.
    March 30th
    April 2nd
    April 30th
    May 1st
    May 21st
    May 31st
    Oct 3rd
    Oct 29th
    Oct 30th
    Nov 1st

14. Absolutely. It was a total rookie mistake at Kallenhard (I know to stay out wide in the wet now!) but got away with it. Was going so slowly too, it was almost surreal. Certainly taught me to respect it though.

15. Thanks people, I’m going to be there on the nights of 12/13th June if anyone else is there and fancy’s a beer.

16. Ive just got back. Going again 8th-12th june, so ill just miss you!!

17. Shame, I’ll get there during the day on 12th

What hotel you using?

18. I tent to use the guesthouses as theyre loads cheaper than the hotels, and you get a kitchen too.

Staying in Ferienwohnung Maria this time. 260Euros for 2 Adults and a child for 4 nights. 4 miles from Adenau.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/fe...41013a;type=total;ucfs=1&#no_availability_msg

Just booked one for May next year, 4 Nights for 3 adults, £216 stearling. 5 miles form Adenau.

Not very modern decor, but theyre always 100% spotlessly clean, and you get a fridge to stock up with Bitburger!!

mike_snowdon likes this.
  19. Ringhaus only 200 yards from entrance, stayed many times , good value coming for DN 20 trackday in sept , rooms 45 Euros per night b&b can’t fault .

mike_snowdon likes this.
  20. Going out there at the start of October 6th to 9th if anyone fancies joining us, or already out there!

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm out just before you, end of Sep the start of Oct for Spa

22. I'll be able to come by both times. Good to see people and the cars in real life.

23. I thought this was about the Nurburgring? Even though Spa would be really awesome to do :-D

Edit: Nevermind it's sold out already ..

24. Nick

Nick RSM Moderator

Now you can't get ADAC if you live in the UK, unless you've already got it, who's everyone using for breakdown

25. Booked this place today, so fingers crossed. They been good with emails etc so far.

26. Just come back from DN19 and will be heading back out for DN20 - will keep an eye out for you!

27. Sweet will be there in a fiesta st this year

28. Place is clean and only a 5 min walk to pistonklaus for steak on a stone , perfect

mike_snowdon likes this.