Moving RS Switch ?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by StephenW, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Hi, I have a Megane 275 Cup and absolutely love the car. I was wondering if anyone has moved the RS Switch to a more prominent position or has thought about doing it? I have been mulling it over and wondered if any of you who were skilled in this sort of fit had any thoughts? Where to put it and sourcing a decent looking switch would be the main issues as I presume that connecting it to the circuit would be relatively straight forward.

I just think that having the switch in a more prominent and convenient position (similar to the new Megane RS) would be a big improvement that saves feeling for the switch in its current position.

2. Should have been on the wheel instead of the utterly useless cruise control buttons.

3. Totally agree. That would be an ideal place to place it. + for on and - for off ?

4. Could the + and - switch be used for the RS Switch rather than the cruise control on the steering wheel or have dual use? The RS map switches off when the cruise control switch if activated. Is it possible for the + - switch on the wheel be used for RS function when cruise control switched off i.e. most/all of the time ?

5. Anything is possible with enough time and effort.

6. would absolutly love that switch on wheel but recon might take some head scratching to re wire it.

was half tempted to attach (glue) something that sticks out from original rocker switch so you could just swipe hand over it to activate

7. That's one way to do it. The other is to have access to the program and change the input needed to switch the RS modes from the correct button to the +/- button on the wheel, and in reverse for the cruise & speed limiter function to avoid any conflicts.

It's literally that simple if you can get access to the software on the car.

8. total agree, plus recon could make fairly decent income offering that service, who wouldn't mined a small fee to swap that woeful RS location to wheel ??

9. I would be happy to pay a fee if it could be programmed/coded that way

10. The centre console has a similar rocker switch. .. wonder if Renault used the same shaped switch in different places, and it's just a case of extending wires and swapping the connectors/ switches over?

My other thought was that there must be a type of relay or something that could automatically send the same pulse as the rocker switch but is time delayed enough to wait until the car computer is ready.

11. Yes, the same type of switch for the cruise control ? I was out having a look and there are the two switches for the heated screen and recirc on the centre console. There are LED push button switches available of different diameters that may be suitable. I think that it would, as you say, be a case of extending the wires on the switch at the moment to the new location? It is just a case of finding the best location although as said above on the steering wheel would probably be best?

12. Another thought I had was. The + - switch on the left of the steering wheel is only active when the cruise control rocker switch is activated so I was wondering if that + - switch could be used to switch on (and off) the RS map when the cruise control is inactive. Again by feeding the relevant wire(s) up from the current RS Switch and activating the dormant + - switch? Will need to pick the brains of an auto electrician !

13. The RS switch is a non latching momentary switch whereas the cruise is three way latching switch so not interchangeable, but recon extending cable from RS to another momentary switch mounted on centre console could be easy’ish diy job

14. It's quite a stretch when you're tall with the seat right back! I have occasionally hit the stop/start button by accident when it's dark! I do like the fact it's discreet though but was lazy on Renault's behalf.

15. Yes, that makes sense. I just need to consider if it is worth the effort. It would be good to have the switch in a more obvious and convenient location.

16. Should the RS Switch fitted as standard illuminate when lights switched on? I have just realised that mine does not and the auto stop start switch next to it does.

17. Have gone for the low tech approach for now. Have attached a 10mm square piece of black velcro (the loop/rough side) (99p on eBay for a 20 cm strip) on the top part of the switch and I can now feel for the RS switch particularly in the dark and get it every time rather than activating the auto stop/start switch.

18. Good work, would love to see a picture of that!
    Mine also does not illuminate with the lights on!?

19. I did that too, BUT, I still keep fumbling and missing the damn switch.

20. Personally I hit the parking sensor button rather than the sport button
    Are we sure it cant be moved/swapped with the cruise/limiter 3 way switch in the centre?

21. Why don't you all just it turn on when you get in the car, problem solved :tongueout: ?

22. IMG_1328.JPG The velcro option works for me as I can feel the switch and never miss it. Low tech works.

[​IMG]

Mikeyjp likes this.