Mk2 Spacers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Marc1, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Hi all

I’ve been having a look about and there seems to be mixed views on the best spacer sizes.

Sadly as photobucket shafted all forums by trying to make users pay through the nose, there aren’t a great deal of pictures available.

Wondering in the best options for the following combo:

Cup dampers and Cooksport springs. Stock 225/40/18 tyres (MPS4).

It looks like you can probably go to around 10mm each side at the front and 18-20mm each side at the back. But wanted to get peoples thoughts really. Don’t want to rub, etc

Also 18mm are hubcentric, 20mm are bolt to hub jobbies.

Cheers all

2. would stay away from any that aren't hubcentric . not sure if they supply them for the Mk2 megane but for the mk2 clio you can buy stub axle spacers instead of wheel spacers which will stop you putting any extra load onto the bearings.

3. Cheers buddy. Not heard of the stub axle spacers before. Have only ever used hubcentric before and usually go with H&R for reliability.

4. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

ive got pur motorsport ones on mine 5mm on the front and 15mm on the rear

5. Attached Files:

6. Thanks mate. Do you have any pictures? Any issues, with bearing failures, etc?

7. Thanks for all the detail. Are they easy to fit? Never heard of them before. Makes sense though I guess.

Assume Clio and Megan fitment is the same for stub spacers and spacers, etc?

8. Stub axles on the mk2 megane are welded.

No stub axle spacers, no shims to adjust the geo etc.

Only option is spacers

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

MilosB likes this.
  9. Thanks mate. Back to the original plan then.

It seems Pure Motorsport do not sell a hubcentric spacer beneath a 21mm width. Not sure why.

What ops do people go for? 21mm looks a little too wide for the front and likely to have some poke.

I think something around 15-18mm max would be ok.

I’m not usually a fan of adding different sizes front and rear, as you’re not balancing the track which change, so theoretically more likely to induce understeer (if narrower at the front).

Any suggestions? Cheers

10. http://www.kgbcarbon.co.uk/Renaultsport/renaultsport-megane-250-265-wheel-spacer-kit.html

I had a look at these and although they have a picture of a mk3 they do say they had them fitted to their R26 so I’m going to check and confirm with them today. The measurements seem a better set up for the mk2. Taking on board your comments re: different sizes these may not be for you, although most of my cars in the past I’ve had a staggered set up and had no issues. The majority of their other products are for a mk2 so I’ll check.

11. Good man, really appreciate your input buddy.

12. Not a bad price if that includes 4 spacers for front and back and longer bolts. Just be wary that they are for the Mk2 and not the Mk3 as I'm sure your aware different stud patterns. If its for the Mk2 id be interested at that price.

13. These are no longer available- contacted the guy today and he said it was an old advert that should be removed ! They were for a mk2 and they initially ordered 10 sets about 5 years ago and they took over 2 years to sell. Think the price may have been from 4 years ago ! at least we know !

14. Cheers buddy. I did a little digging too. It seems the hub lip protrudion is the issue.

Hence a hubcentric spacer will not but up against the hub face correctly if it’s not greater than xx width. The minimum width seems to vary from manufacture to manufacture. 16mm with Eibach, 21mm pure motorsport, 25mm H&R.

The difference between the three looked at is probably due to the rear of the spacer design and how much material is taken out, as a guess.

I’d need to see them really. Which doesn’t help when trying to order as I doubt you can fit and return.

Based on this, maybe the split on style flat spacers are ok and remain centred due to sitting on the hub lip. No sure.

lol ta of people seem to use spacers and appear ok though. I’ve never been a fan of none hubcentric spacers as could cause vibrations. Maybe the Renault Sports are different...

15. Additionally after a crude ruler measurement, it would look like there is about 18mm from tyre wall to arch at the front and about 25mm at the rear.

That’s with standard RS 18” alloys and MPS4 tyres.

The R26 wheels are 1/2” wider so so should reduce the distance by about 6.5mm.

Therefore it would seem 10-12mm at the front is ideal and about 18mm at the rear (for R26’s).

wsmdesign likes this.
  16. I have 18mm rears and 10mm fronts sat on cooksport springs and my Meg 225 Trophy sits perfect.
    Gonna get some more made up hopefully

wsmdesign likes this.
  17. Where did you get yours ?

Trophyboy likes this.
  18. Interesting, cheers buddy. Got any pictures of your car with that set up you can add into the thread? Cheers

19. ive got pur motorsport 15mm on the front and 21mm on the rear

20. PureMS 18mm rear and 10mm front here.

Need to remove the hub nut cover on the rear and fit onto the spacers to fit them.