Mk 2 Sport F1 misfire

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by coetseejj.rd, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Had new tyres fitted this morning. Afterwards on my way back to work gave it some beans and it was perfect. After work on my way home when just starting to build boost this misfire happens.

Plugs, coils or a deeper issue?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2. Today the issue is not present. Suspecting spark plugs or coils...
    This car just doesn't want to stay happy now! New suspension components and same day it starts misfiring! My girlfriend says it's like those cartoons when a water leak starts and the character put a finger in to plug the leak and then the next leak pops out hahaha. Perfect analogy!

3. Replaced the spark plugs and everything is back to normal. First time I've experienced a spark plug end of life situation.

4. Unfortunately the issue is still present except it is less violent and revs have gone up a bit before it happens.
    It seems like it's hitting a first level rev limiter. Read up some cars have 2 step rev limiters?! I'm not getting any Check Injection or any such errors though... Also boost does not go past .6 - .7 bar

Spark plugs are good now.

What it might be (I think):
    1. Coils (Don't have the $ to replace now. Can I test them somehow with ohm tester?)
    2. MAP Sensor(s) [Took out and checked but they don't look dirty but will give them a clean this weekend]
    3. Fuel pump not delivering enough pressure (Unsure if fuel pump can cause this, but read if rail is deprived of fuel it can...)
    4. Injector(s) not spraying correct pattern at WOT (Will remove and check spray pattern)
    5. Maybe maybe it's an exposed wire on the ignition loom causing sparking/shorting?

Any ideas would help me at this point. I just want to go full belt with the Meg again :cry:

5. I fixed it!!!!

Well it's one of two things. First I removed the dump valve and after this I saw some buildup of limestone on cylinder 1s coil surround.

Removed coil and the spark plug was submerged in water!!! Like almost to the tip.

1st was was "ah fuck, head gasket" but traced water source to the window washers T joint being perished and cracked, water streaming into the plug hole. WTF!! Dried everything and went to the shops. No more misfires!!

Now it might be dump valve too but don't think so, will install it again to see the result though. Geniune forge one so decent quality.

Pro tip guys, check your washer T joint! Well that's if you're not running with the engine cover on. Took mine off years ago to help with keeping temps down but might put it back now after this. Would have prevented it.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

6. Dump valve was installed again to test if misfire would return. It did not but removed dv again and installed stock re-circ valve again. Think I'm getting older :tonguewink:

Difference between dv and no dv is that my boost gauge does not want to go up to 1.1bar when dv is installed but sticks at around .6bar.

With stock recirc and cooler/intake rubber piping boost is perfect according to gauge. Not sure why but I'm happy with stock config since it works.