250 Misfire under load

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by EdsterJ, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Hello,
    I've done a bit of research and I've come to the conclusion that it's either coil pack or spark plug but, before I go spending money, thought I'd confirm by posting my symptoms up on here. Apologise if it's been done to death too.

Anyway...

The car pulls fine up until around 3000rpm then there's a notable drop in power. From there, say around 3200rpm it will either go back to normal or it will be 'lumpy' and you can feel it missing sporadically.
    A handful of times it's failed completely and hit what I can only describe as if it had launch control with a fairly drastic noise included. Not going to lie, shat myself when that first happened.

A bit about the car.

It's had a cam and auxiliary belt, dephaser, water pump and thermostat done around 300 miles ago. Mods are, Forge recirc, and bluefin.

Does this sound like I'm correct in my conclusion or does anyone recognise something else amiss regarding the symptoms?

Cheers

2. Id start with removing the bluefin

EdsterJ likes this.
  3. Are you saying this in terms of maybe where the problem lies or because they haven't the best reputation. I have considered this myself, though.

4. So have you run it without the Bluefin?

5. Did it run fine before the service?

6. It did the launch control thing a couple of times if I recall but it didn't have the dying at 3000rpm and then the sporadic misfire from there. I took it for a run out after the service and all seemed fine.

A bit more info, I've just borrowed a mates fault reader and it's given me a p0304 which is cylinder 4 misfire I believe!

7. theses a section in the reno map that dumps load of fuel into cylinders under hard acceleration that wont have been allowed for in the bluefin map, you're just getting way too much fuel and killing the flame rather rapidly, could ditch the bluefin and get mapped by someone knows how to switch the reno map fuelling to linear supply

EdsterJ likes this.
  8. This has me really worried now! Could an underlying misfire mess up the timing on a cam belt change?

9. Not in slightest

EdsterJ likes this.
  10. OK that's reassuring, thanks.

So would the next reasonable action be a bit of fault finding by swapping the plug and coil to another cylinder to see if it pings the fault code up on there? If it did, am I right i thinking this would be the best possible outcome, there fore confirming that the fault lies in the plug or coil?
    Or is this just going to cause more dramas ?

11. Have to be bit careful here, could be there’s a genuine misfire or the bluefin is causing the ECU to throw up a misfire fault, IMHO you should seriously try get engine correctly mapped

EdsterJ likes this.
  12. After removing the Bluefin, & there`s still an issue, yes. I think Crowdie who is local to me had Bluefin on his, & he had issues with it.

crowdie and EdsterJ like this.
  13. Ok cheers guys.
    I'll remove the Bluefin and see of it's the cause. If not, I'm going to leave it off anyway.

14. So I removed the map. I was dubious I'll admit but, taken it for a run and it was fine. Never felt better in fact. Like there was never anything wrong. It even sounded healthier on start up.
    During the removal process it kept chucking up an "check injection" error on the dash. I went a little light headed during this!
    I'll keep an eye out for it obviously but, for the time being, it seems to be cured.

Lesson learned.....don't use generic maps!

Many thanks guys, much appreciated. Cheers.

James265trophy likes this.
  15. excellent update and really happy this was easy fix, if you do now get it correctly mapped you should be well impressed with the extra torque and shove these engines are capable of.

EdsterJ likes this.