Might be time to sell the 275

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by csmith8757, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Considering selling the 275 as I'm not using it. Hasn't been out of the garage for the last 7 weeks and probably wouldn't get used for the rest of the year. In two minds as I know I would probably regret it if I sold it.

2. Daz

Daz

You'll get more for it if you sell it now though.

3. Why did you buy it?

4. Bought it as most of my travelling was local but changed to more long distance trips since the end of July. Decided to by a quick diesel and use the Megane for weekends but have just not used it.

5. Shame really because you'll need to take a fair hit on it is imagine.

6. Got it with a massive discount. Was 5 months old when I got it with 10 miles on the clock had no P/X and paid cash. Over £7000 off the list price.

moono16v likes this.
  7. You'd be just aswel keeping it if it was such a bargain tbh.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  8. I know. Maybe I should make an effort to have some weekend road trips.

9. I'm sure once you get out in it properly a few times you won't want to sell it. Alternatively if it doesn't make you smile then you know it's not worth keeping. Although I already know the outcome

Mikey4410 likes this.
  10. I think your spot on. My Diesel is much quicker than the Megane but there is no excitement.

11. All Renaultsports are the same in this respect. One blast out on some decent roads and all thoughts of selling it will go out of the window.

12. It's all about the smiles per miles. Even if it is only a blast now and then at least you know you have something satisfying. Plus it's a bit of a looker so will always turn heads too.

13. If you don't use it, don't keep it. Just treat yourself to a 10k catherham or something similar. However as said once you get the Megane on a proper road in good weather not much is catching it or making you smile more.

14. sell it imo..

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm in a similar situation to yourself, Bar the complete opposite being i use mine far to much now. I commute fair distances all over Scotland with work these days and its become more of a A-B mile muncher instead of something to enjoy, Don't get me wrong i still enjoy taking it out for proper blasts but it just doesnt feel as "special" as it used to.

I was set on keeping it but the last few days I've pretty much decided that ill be getting rid of it after next summer for a Lotus Exige of some sort. The only way upwards for me in terms of performance is something a bit nutty like the aforementioned, Or a Caterham.

16. Exactly the same two cars I've been eyeing up aswell, just not sure if I can get in and out of them!

17. For me, in an ideal world it will be keep the 250 and buy a catherham. Or sell the 250 and buy a fiesta ST or Audi S1 (two complete different cars I know) and still get a catherham. It's a must you get the R3/4/500 though but these are big bucks.

18. What diesel do you have? I'm surprised at how much quicker than the Megane it sounds? If you're not finding any excuse possible to drive the Megane, then I think it's better off at another home mate. I have my Merc for weekends and a Civic 2.2 diesel for the daily grind and I'm constantly itching to get back in the Merc.
    IMO, if any diesel is more attractive to drive over your Megane, then definitely sell it. Boggles my mind! :smile:

19. 2015 335d xdrive msport. Quick, comfortable and good on juice and has been remapped.

20. Nice car, exceptionally competent. All that whilst being a lifeless A to B machine.

Sell the Megane if you prefer the Bimmer mate :wink:

21. Very quick and as said very useable. Sell the Megane.

22. Bet the torque in that thing gives you a good shove:tongueout:

Personally if it was just gathering dust I would sell it but that's me, although by the sounds of it you don't need to get rid.. So maybe you should find time to spend with it at the weekends and then make up your mind:smiley:

23. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Buy a Lotus for fun. In fact buy my Elise.

24. I wouldn't mind buying it off you mate! If only I had spare cash bopping about.
    You actually thinking of selling?

25. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

More than thinking. Covering 2k miles per month at the minute and it's just becoming a little too much!
    I'd love to keep it, but it's not possible.

26. Ooph that'd cripple me in the Merc. Hence why I have a monging diesel for the daily! Maybe buy matey's 335d off him :smile:

27. That's why I had to get the diesel. The Megane has 4K on the clock. The BMW which I got with 100 miles on the clock is now just over two months old has 8500 on the clock. If I had put those miles on the Megane it would cost me a fortune in running costs and would soon wipe a fair bit off it's value.

28. Can you see yourself making any excuse to get out in the Meg on the weekends? Residuals look good at the moment either way :smile:

29. Exactly how much better on fuel is a mapped 335d than the Meg? Real world, not book figures.

If you're worried about the money, sell the BM and the money you wont lose on the Meg can go towards your fuel costs. That way you get to drive the more exciting car.

You talk about fuel costs crippling you, yet you bought and run 2 new cars? Neither of which is know for good economy. My wifes new Clio dci will do 75mpg, real world.

Worst "I've got 2 new fast & expensive cars" thread ever. I'm not buying it.

30. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

Painful isn't it! Sadly I can't justify running two cars so the Lotus has to go.

31. Megane average showing 28mpg I am getting 52mpg from the BMW. Money not the issue and fuel costs not crippling but a big difference between the two, one of the major benefits of the BMW is comfort.

32. A possible answer has been found. The wife sells her car and has the Megane and I can then still use it in the future if I wish. Just got to convince her !

33. Certainly wouldn't consider them expensive cars. Megane was cheaper than a diesel focus and I was going to get a mondeo diesel but managed to get the bmw for the same price.

34. What's the spec/mileage Feirny? Is the lotus running with the k series engine? If so any issues?

35. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

It's a 2004 111S with the 160bhp K-Series. Zero issues whilst I've owned it. HG was all done last year, as the previous owner was a bit meticulous. It's just tripped 70k, I've done 7k since April!

Few pics. http://www.rsmegane.com/showthread.php?7345-Lotus-Elise-S2

It's far from standard, but it's amazing.

36. Yes, seen this before, probably on here, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!! very tempted, just a little high on the mileage for me!

37. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

That's fair enough, it won't be for everyone and it's a pretty niche market anyway.

38. Any ideas what you'd like to replace it with mate?

39. How much would you want for it. I'd love one of these. Actually I wanted an earlier white cup with cloth Recaros (don't like leather) but they are unbelievably hard to find and rate!!

40. Lovely wee car & great pics too. But you need to be Houdini to get into the drivers seat. :wink: