Michelin PS4 Info Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Powello9, Jan 26, 2016.

1. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Eh?

2. Horses for courses guys. Everyones needs are different. Its not willy waving to want the best tyres for your situation. For me price is not the most important factor. Its definitely a factor but when i've got a year of driving to do on them i want them to be absolutely spot on. Theres some new tyres about at the moment, hence the thread.

3. Lol.

Rtfq

4. To be honest this begs the question as to why you have a performance RS Megane then?

If you don't use the tyre to it's limits, do you use the power or the brakes or the handling to it's limits?

It's nothing to do with showing off, but wanting a long lasting tyre on a Megane RS is missing the point entirely IMHO.

5. NJH

NJH

One could make a different point about how the car handles on the tyres when pushed to their limits rather than outright grip. In this regard I find the PS2 absolutely spot on in the dry, makes the car quite a lot of fun to hoon around roundabouts.

6. Oli

Oli

My thoughts exactly.

7. So you buy a fast car to eat up track focused tyres on the public road? Ofcourse not. My post was to challenge Jamie about his view that buying a compromise summer tyre is silly and just buy a winter tyre. Its s not as much of a compromise as sacrificing cold and wet safety by prioritising dry and warm weather. Essentially sacrificing over a third of a year. Why waste money on a tyre which is noticeably poor in the cold and wet when you dont do track days or push the cars limits only to waste money on winter tyres to make up for it? There isnt one in that situat

I ran AD08 Tyres on my RX8 all year round. Greasy, cold and wet conditions the car slid and struggled to the point where it was a bees dick away from dangerous. Banged PS3s on it and it was perfect all year round in all conditions.

Just because you have a fast car doesnt mean you must have a fast semi slick tyre. Just because you have a fast car doesnt mean you need to utilise its maximum efficiency of its brakes or push the perfohub to its limit either. Really annoys me when people have the foolish mindset that you must drive fast and push your car just because its fast and you have to have this super fast road tyre because reasons. Get enough of that with cunts in remapped diesels or lukewarm Scirrocos.

RS's are hot hatches, not sports cars. Mine fits the pram in the boot, two childs seats, shopping. Its got the power if I need it, the track ability if I want to utilise it and the cup chassis if I want to embarrass a Vauxfag on a country road. Thats what hot hatches were designed to do be a safe family vehicle and when you kick the kids and the wife out you got the ability to have fun.

Theres a reason the 265 set the record at the Nurburging on RE050a's which were merely a PS2 level tyre, with a full interior and air con and beat the stripped out R26R shod on semi slick R888's with plastic windows. Tyre longevity and its performance in all weathers are paramount to what makes a great tyre.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  8. Quality rant dude.

Didnt Jamie say if someone wanted to fit the PS4 just as a winter tyre, then a pukka winter tyre might be a better option. Sound advice. Incorrect interpretation.

9. What's the difference between a hot hatch and sports car? Surely one could argue they are essentially the same thing?

10. Ps3 were a replacement for the exalto and ps4 is its
    replacement they were never the ps2 replacement that was the pss

11. I couldn't do it.

2 more PS2's ordered.

12. J - my reason for not getting winter tyres are simply our winters are not that cold to warrant them... I'd think the ps4 as an allrounder (which it sounds like it is) would be more than enough...

As for the PSS' being a semi slick... Well that's wrong (you may be getting confused with the pilot sport cups)

Not that any justification is needed I run the PSS' as they are the only tyre I've tried that exceeds the PS2's ... And in 225 guise are cheaper.... Yet they are wider (physically). They also allow me to corner pretty rapidly and brake pretty hard without making the car feel like a boat :smile: plus if they are good enough for premium sports cars such as M4's, porches etc... I'm sure they're good enough for Megan.

As for how they last long... Not too sure how I make them last long... Same goes for my brake pads... And I don't tend to be driving miss daisy most of the time... I suppose I don't take the car on track so they don't get that heavily abused I suppose.... My first set of PS2's lasted just shy of 19k

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Both the PSS and PS4 are very similar tyres though thats why i was wondering why you would bother with the 4's for the winter. Better choice out there for a "wet" season tyre. I'd still recommend winter tyres though, Once the temps drop below 8 degrees normal rubber doesnt really work. Im thoroughly impressed with the Conti's i have on just now and they are pretty good in normal conditions as well

14. There is deffo no sense in putting on a cheap summer tyre that just happens to be a bit better in the wet for the 'wet winter season' lol. What happens when it's dry, which is most of the time, suddenly grip is not important? An illogical compromise.

Either stick with a good performing summer tyre or go for a winter tyre with its specific low temp performing compound and tread pattern.

15. What if you want a great dry tyre that just gets you by in the wet... PSS or would the Cup 2 do a job.

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I would probably still pick the PSS over the Cup 2 if its your only tyre tbh.

17. Depends on your priorities of course, but just for road action, then the PSS is going to be the better all round choice. The Cup 2 can bite your ass and you need to be aware of their cold/wet limitations.

18. I'm happy with PS2 maybe try the PS4 when the price comes down image.jpeg they were great on track the other day

19. I dont like michelins , due to their soft sidewalls in general. It is the company's philosophy that doesn't meet my taste...

PS2 is the sportiest of all though...

20. just order 2 ps4 for my car, i will reports when they get fitted. I do about 500 miles on A road a week just to commute

21. Wouldn't really agree with this as the pilot sport cups are used on pretty much every high performance sports car so they can't all have soft sidewalls. I do hate a soft sidewall myself though as you lose steering feel but the ps2's I have are great.

Ok so I've found PSS's in the right size for my car (235 40 18) so almost tempted to get these instead of the PS2's, what do we think?

22. PSS IN 235/40 18? Where? Thought they were 225 only

23. Where was that at?

I've just bought 2 PS2's from Blackcircles, but they and tyreleader didn't seem to have the PSS's available.

24. Ktec have them listed as coming soon I think
    Pss 235

25. Tyre leader have them listed in 235's. Yea I thought you couldn't get them in 235's either! I do love the ps cups though too but they're about 700 a set

26. Hi, need some new front tyres currently I have eagle f1 ays 2 on the front and back and they seem good, only looking to spend £100-£110 per tyre fitted. How are people finding the ps4 or ps2 over the f1's or just stick to those?

27. Have they discontinued the PSS in 225/40/18s 92Y XL?

They used to be on Oponeo and elsewhere for about £110 per tyre, but they're nowhere to be seen except for much more.

Just purchased 4x Michelin PS4 in 225/40/18 92Y XL's for the R26. £100 per tyre and 2 day delivery time.

28. Where did u get them mate?

29. Where did u get them mate? Thanks

30. should you not use a 235 not 225 on a megane?

31. If I'm not mistaken only the r26 use 235. However it's tyre dependant... For example the 225 pilot super sport is as wide as a way ps2... I was a little baffled when I fitted them.

32. 235 section on the cup chassis 250

33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Just to let people know, PS4's are now coming in at £115 a corner

34. So... I twist in what we thought about the PS4's. Evo mag has an article on them and saying there a replacement for the soon to be discontinued PSS. Shock horror.

Whats everyones thoughts on that? Has anyone tried them yet?

35. My trophy 275 uses 235 profiles.

36. I've got them, done about 500 miles on them so far. My old tyres were horrendous and were below legal tread so it's obviously a massive improvement on them, but the grip is pretty much on par with my old car (Clio Trophy) which i'm very pleased with.

37. The PSS continues but only in certain sizes.