Michelin PS4 Info Thread

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Powello9, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Hi Guys,

With this new tyre out and relatively little known about it i thought i'd start a thread for anyone that has any info or experience to post here for the good of everyone else.

I'm due 4 new tyres at the end of March so there definitely on my research list. Lets keep the thread specific to Michelin PS4/PS3/PS2 and PSS. Its easy to go off topic.

I've seen 235/40 R18 for £146 though this thread should not be all about price. They look the same tread pattern as PS3 but could be a generic pic. I'm lead to believe they sit between PS3 and PSS. I could absolutely wrong though.

Lets go guys!

2. They seem to be better on economy than PS2 and PS3 with the same wet rating. My worry would be that PS4 to PS3 are like PS3 to PS2. Good, but not quite as sticky.

PS4
    C Fuel Economy A wet grip
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4

PS3
    E Fuel Economy A wet grip
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-3

PS2
    F Fuel Economy A wet grip
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-ps2

PSS
    E Fuel Economy B wet grip (only available in poverty 225)
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-super-sport

3. Interesting... You expect the compound to be harder to achieve better MPG.

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They don't really sit between the ps3 and pss though.

They are a proper PS2 replacement, the PS3 never was and is more of a touring tyre.

5. Cheers Jamie, I thought PSS was a closer relative to PS2. I've never driven the PS2 so no experience.

6. Tyre leader have them in 235 for £117 so £148 seems expensive.

Has anyone seen much in the way of reviews of them? I'm not really finding anything.

7. PS4 are based on the Formula E tyre but a harder compound with wider groves for water dispersal.

michelin-pilot-sport-4-vs-formula-e.jpg

£146 a corner is the fitted price on black circles. Im seriously interested in PS4 but they are the same price as AD08R. Im hoping they drop in price.

8. I've seen zero reviews and lets hope someone on the forum takes a punt...

Formula E- Does it have an relevance to the road? Just marketing talk?

Its looking like a more durable PS3 to me...

9. Formula E is alot more road relevant than Formula 1. Look at the FE tyres then look at Pilot Sport Cup 2; they are an ultra performance soft rubber road/track tyre based on the FE. The PS4 is pretty much a harder non-track day compound designed to succeed the PS2 unlike the PS3. PS4 is a road tyre, designed to be the best in wet performance and better than the PS2 but not an all out dry tyre like the PSS.

Basically, dont track your car? PS4 is for you, the country roads and the inevitable 140 days of rain per year. You have to remember, Formula E dont change tyres in the wet. The Michelins are both wet and dry racing tyre. Quite revolutionary really

10. So hows it different to PS3 then? More or less fast road driving?

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its a more a fast road tyre. Again as I've said many times, The PS3 was a touring tyre.

12. The PS3 is used on people carriers and diesel focus'!

13. So the wet weather grip is rated the same between the PS2 and the PS4 but the fuel efficiency is better (E vs C)

Has anybody actually got any experience of running the PS4's compared to 2's or 3's on a Megane?

They're currently £30 or 30% more expensive than PS2's, so to me, they need to be pretty special to replace the older tyre.

14. They will probably come down a bit in price as time goes on, I am quite interested in getting them the next time I need a new set.

15. That's how it's panned out and I reckon their marketing was a bit optomistic with its capabilities. I remember when Michelin first released the PS3, they were pushing it as an all round improvement over the PS2. The famous performance graph showing improvements in all areas and the same dry grip:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Im going to get PS4 all round in a few weeks. I dont need a semi slick for a soft fast road tyre. Something good in the dry and great in the wet is perfect for me.

17. Oh and for all those considering PS3 over ps2 dont!

i ran both on my 182 and r26 and ps2 on the 265. Ps2 superior tyre in every way. I've also ran Bridgestone re050, p-zero's and ps2 are still the best road tyre I've had

so unless the ps4 gets bummed by ps2 owners I'm sticking with them!

18. .

19. One of the reviewers above states:

Energy E3A -> Energy Saver -> Energy Saver +
    Pilot Primacy -> Primacy HP -> Primacy 3
    Pilot Exalto -> Pilot Exalto 2 -> Pilot Sport 3 -> Pilot Sport 4
    Pilot Sport -> Pilot Sport 2 -> Pilot Super Sport
    Pilot Sport Cup -> Pilot Sport Cup + -> Pilot Sport Cup 2

I'm not saying I agree with him (could be right) but I did think the PS3's were always a replacement for the Exaltos, which throws doubt on the PS4 replacing the PS2 possibly?

They (PS4's) need to be a fair bit better than the PS2, otherwise, what's the point? Seriously thinking of sticking with the 2's at £100 a corner plus fitting. If Michelin were aiming the new tyre at 'us', I think they've failed.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

PS2's are getting phased out IIRC, Hence the 4.

21. michelin-ps4-spec-sheet.png

''The Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Many people felt the Pilot Sport name lost its direction as the*Michelin Pilot Sport 3 didn't replace the*Pilot Sport 2, but the slightly more touring bias*Pilot Exalto 2. The true replacement for the Pilot Sport 2 came in the shape of the well regarded*Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

With the launch of the Pilot Sport 4, Michelin are aiming to get the Pilot Sport name back on track. The new tyre borrows lessons learnt from both the Pilot Super Sport, and Michelins involvement with the Formula E race series. This has resulted in a tyre which has a much more performance focus than the Pilot Sport 3, but still retails excellent tread life, a strong wet performance and the good levels of comfort we've come to expect from a premium tyre''

22. I have to be honest i thought the PSS was the replacement to the PS2.

That really would make sense...

23. It was. PS3 was a touring tyre. Thing is though I thought the PS3 was a bloody good tyre. I swapped to Bridgestone S001 tyres as they were £100 a corner and not only have they worn faster than the PS3's, they were noticeably worse in the wet and in the dry they were marginally better. All round the PS3 was better and the S001 was suppose to be their top summer tyre replacing the RE050a.

I loved the PS3 and I had it on both my C4 coupe and my RX8 before the Meg but I never experienced the PS2.

24. Initially, the PS3 was always the replacement for the PS2, that's why they named it as part of the Pilot Sport series. Problem was, customers didn't like it as much and it didn't get such great reviews, so they kept pumping out the PS2. Michelin lost its way with the marketing.

25. Tyre leader have PS4 at £98 a corner in 235/40/18 95y. Ordered 4

26. I run 17s so considering some 245/40/17 PS4 for mine and have a separate set for track

27. Fernando- Keep us posted!

28. Also if don't already know, those sidewall fuel and water ratings are awarded by tyre manufacturers themselves, there's no official body for testing these figures.

29. Might by some for the garage then just in case!

30. I've been hearing this for years to be honest...

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They actually have a replacement for them this time though.....

32. Some decent industry standard tests and comparisons on the PS4 are now required. Let's see how these fellas actually perform.

33. I too am looking forward to the reviews. Im willing to bet phenomenal wet performance, PS2 level dry performance but slightly better wear. Probably the steering feel wont be as sharp as the PS2.

34. PS Cup 2's on Tyre Leader. 235/40 r18. Anyone know if they are any use in the rain?

35. OK...ish

36. I've always thought the PSS' were the true replacement for the PS2's ... I've had a set on my car that have covered about 17-20k miles.

When I replace them .. I'll be popping PSS on again... Although as I'll have a spare set of wheels I may consider the PS4's as a winter tyre...

37. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Why not just get proper winter tyres instead of a summer tyre thats going to be a compromise?

PS, How the hell do you get that mileage out of the PSS', I didn't even get half that out mine

38. Same here ! I get nowhere near that mileage from mine

39. Whats the point on public roads if you dont use it to the tyres performance limit? I dont do track days so I dont need semi slicks. I dont need a max performance summer tyre when I rarely go above 70mph on motorways and I flirt with fast road driving once in a while. We get around 140 days of rain a year, I do around 8000 miles a year. Id rather have a long lasting tyre thats great in all weathers than wave my dick spending a fortune on soft ultra grippy tyres that are used to take me to work and wear out in 9 months