Megane R26/225 uprated fuel pump options

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Danith, May 13, 2017.

1. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

jenvey wasn't interested in a group buy i did ask

2. Ah, thats a shame

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

3. Did you get the pump fitted Wednesday dan? If so how was it? Did they do it okay? And isit running better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sorry though I'd updated

My car wasn't showing any signs of fuel pump failure, I was just doing it as a precaution with it being 68k and 10+ years old.
    However my mechanic said the walbro 255lph is not a direct fit as its 8mm longer than oem. So I said to leave it, not bothering to mess about modifying unnecessarily. The bosch apparently drops straight in to the sender but he said mine had good pressure so no need. Will make a note of that though if mine does eventually fail!
    I found out some interesting stuff frkm renault though. First the price of the replacement pump (250 LOLZ!) but also, they revised the loom for it, but wouldnt confirm why. Mick at diamond says its cos the new pump they sell if from a different manufacturer cos, well this is renault uk. Thats 90 quid just for the loom!

So no real update I'm afraid, had my pump cleaned out and serviced I guess. I was already achieving 25mpg around town and 30-35 on a motorway run, thats with 630s, "stage 2" map and having the ac on, so not too bad.

So only thing I can report is that the ph2 doesn't like the walbro unit, apparently can be fitted only with mods to the sender - but I'm told its easier with a ph1 sender and less mods are required to fit it

rTEM likes this.
  5. Ah that's annoying but atleast you know yours is okay I suppose..

Dows the Bosch unit you mentioned add more pressure to the system? Isit the 5 bar one like the warbo 255?

The only reason I'm interested is for precaution too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. No the bosch is a direct replacement, the pump won't affect the pressure as far as Im aware? Its just able to cope better being a 255 lph unit over the bosch (which I presume is less lph?!)

The pressure regulator will sort the pressure out. Only reason I wanted to replace is because ive seen/heard that a tired pump will be weaker under load and so won't be able to maintain the 3.5?

I'm no mechanic so don't take my facebook/forum learnings as gospel - it does sound logical though.

However I'm told that of you have a failing pump there are many tell tale signs - poor mpg, difficulty starting, spluttering, etc

7. When my new pump went in there was no new loom or anything else on my invoice. So either:

Renault are lying/have no idea what their talking about (perish the thought).
    My garage absorbed the £90 cost and didn't mention it.

I really must have a look at what's actually been fitted to my car. Good thread this!

Danith likes this.
  8. Agreed really good thread...

I think I read on another thread though an answer to the problems on the fuelling side, I will find it and copy/paste, someone on here who is doing a build thread...

Also why are we talking about fuel rails since I thought the Clio 172/200 rail fitted and provided better feed?

9. haha you've started something here Danith you must finish it! (-;

Based on the above I propose Bosch (or whatevers available) direct replacement 225/R26 fuel pump, bypass the intank fpr and use the 250 rail with fpr attached? I assume this will fit the 225 intake manifold?

Has anyone who's opened up the 225 sender unit uploaded pics?

Danith likes this.
  10. Ive opened a 225 unit up yeah last week. Bottom bit was impossible to get off in one go. The fpr definitely looks bigger but states same pressure (3.5)
    I'm gonna stick with my standard pump and renew when needed. And attempt the clio 172 ph1 rail ive got with a 5 bar reg in it and a return line.

Heres the ph1 172 rail with connectors from ktec
    And the fpr from the ph1 megane 225 I'll try remember to get some pics tomorrow

e814e7c8e303a964221eeeae8e4b0ae8.jpg

rTEM likes this.
  11. I can take my dead sender apart and upload pictures if anyone's interested. Never taken one apart before but how hard can it be!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

rTEM likes this.
  12. Be good to get a visual and maybe some dimensions on the fuel pump . . .

Plus the test if you can get it apart without breaking it!

13. Failed the test! Will get it out the shed tomorrow, its in bits, ha

14. Challenge accepted, I will try to get mine apart without breaking it! Is yours a phase 1 pump danith?

15. It was. Windle near me was breaking a ph1 so nipped over to grab the sender unit and proceeded to wreck it as I have zero patience

16. Just to clarify, the DW65C is a direct drop in replacement.

I have the Bosch OEM unit in my cupboard. Happy to take some pictures of it and measure it when I get home

Danith likes this.
  17. What output has the oem pump? Can it deliver more pressure if fpr is changed? I

18. Ok great . . . I wonder if the DW65C pump could cope if the standard fpr was bypassed (shut off) and using a higher pressure fpr on the Clio or 250 rail . . .

Next question do we know which of the above fits the 225 inlet manifold . . .

I hope @ianplymouth could comment on how he's getting on with similar set-up . . .

19. Hi Rich
    I am still running the standard 225 fuel pump that has now done around 123k miles, my car has the 250 engine in it and running the standard 250 injector rail, this has a centre feed and is square and made of stainless steel, i am sure this would fit a 225/230 inlet manifold, all i did was remove an O ring from inside the fpr valve and not connect the pressure hose so it would run on the standard 3.5 bar pump.

I had it remapped at RS and Paul said nothing about upgrading the system i have, but this thread is now making me think of some sort of modification to my car, the down side to that is i would then have another round trip of 660 miles to have a tweek on the ecu.

20. Thanks for the response Ian.

The pump must be capable of more than 3.5 bar because I thought you said the 250 fuel rail had a 5 bar fpr attached?

What power did your car make at RST? I assume you're also running 630 injectors?

What modification are you thinking? I think you've nailed it with the fueling . . .

21. Hi Rich
    By taking out the O ring the fpr doesn't work it puts the full fuel pressure in 3.5 bar

It made 305 bhp but i had rainsport 3's on and they were so hot on the rollers Paul recons i was loosing a good 10 hp through the tyres and yes 630 injectors.

I am about done with the modifications (for the minute :laughing:) Paul said another £2k for 50 hp so i don't think it's worth it, it has a very wide torque range pulls like a train from 2500 rpm to the limiter and i don't want to spoil that :laughing:

22. Apart. Any part numbers, sizes etc anyone needs let me know. 73bdcd421079c3396e16fa19fe088e6c.jpg 462ec6e8bb1e0a8ef05e09da30da903a.jpg

23. Did u manage not to brake it?

24. Sort of. Top comes off easily by levering these tabs and then the regulator is held in with two screws b7e985837783893d5c5a0a78a7546348.jpg 0238ce63a996873dabe6c16a14360c5a.jpg

rTEM likes this.
  25. Bottom bit unscrews sort of but lost my rag and cut a piece off. Goes back together fine and if you force it it will definitely break ce98b67338b7c6404297a3cf6dcacd30.jpg a8a00ebd2a399f0f9405e8ff0b82df30.jpg

rTEM likes this.
  26. And there's the filter. Mmmmm, petrolly. 4a29d9e43a6ad69604538f741e7f5ec1.jpg

rTEM likes this.
  27. That the little red thing?

28. Gauze thing on the right. Red thing looks like a valve of some description

rTEM likes this.
  29. Ah yes, did look like plastic on small screen, had to zoom in to see it. Still not much of a filter there.

30. It's crap. It was that grubby when I pulled it out, it's not just general workbench muck

rTEM likes this.
  31. Yeah I know what you're saying it doesn't sound easy the next 50 hp . . . mine made 302, I assume your running the 250 turbo as well.

I thought since the FPR is disabled (O ring removed) the fuel pump would provide higher pressure up to the FPR on the 250 rail (which is up to 5 bar isn't it?) . . . so what you're saying is the standard pump is only capable of 3.5 bar?

32. Great effort buddy!!!

I'm sure this will come in handy . . . I wonder how much it is to replace the housing, or if it can bought seperate . . .

33. Thanks buddy . . .

Where did you purchase the DW65C pump? Do you have a link?

Do you know what fuel pressure it's capable of running?

34. FYI

"Fuel rail from Megane 3RS don't fit directly. If You want to install it, You will need to cut mountings on rail and weld in other place."

Thanks @Shymek

rTEM likes this.
  35. matt e

@ianplymouth do you have a picture of the 250 inlet and rail?

also has anyone got a cheap 225 inlet?

36. Hi Matt
    What is it you a picture of ??? the whole thing or just a certain part ??
    This is all i really have pic wise of the whole thing
    IMG_20170111_1747381_zpszk2btnqm.jpg

This one i bought off eBay for £40, it came with the injectors and fuel rail :sunglasses:

37. matt e

Trophyboy likes this.
  38. matt e

Anyone know if a fuel pump from a 1.6 has the same 3.5 bar fpr in the pump as a sport model?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk