Megane 225 engine/box/ECU into a clio 182

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by windle`, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Plans are to fit the full megane 225 engine/6 speed box ECU loom clocks basically everything from a megane 225 to keep the costs down of aftermarket management/mapping etc. at the same time hard mount the seat, re do ABS using megane/Peugeot mastercylinder parts for the hydrolic clutch. electric power steering. Full custom loom for everything bar the engine, indicator lights etc. custom pedal setting retaining clio brakes and megane clutch/accelerator
    I'v already had an old thread on here for the car but it way out of date and lost most of the pics in the thread. Here is the old one:
    http://www.cliosport.net/posts/10546188/
    Onwards and upward, basically I came across a full megane 225 car with minimal damage I had never intended on doing the conversion but the car was to cheap to turn away so enter the megane 225 with slight suspension damage and no key!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We stripped everything off the car, and either kept it for the conversion or sold it to fund the project.
    Off it goes to the scrap yard as a shell
    [​IMG]
    The car in question for the conversion this was September 2014 the very same day we removed the engine and box ready to start the conversion
    [​IMG]
    I wish I took more pictures along the way but you just forget!
    first thing was to fit the seat so so we could mount the steering wheel/pedal where we wanted them. Our resident welder ste has fabricated all this in our unit with a super £150 welder!
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2020_zpsfxn8kvrw.jpg
    [​IMG]
    you can see the electric steering, custom pedals and the megane shifter mounted on top of the tunnel instead to bring it closer to the steering wheel.
    [​IMG]
    Next was to actually fit the engine and gearbox to see if it actually fits. in short no it doesn't but its not by much, it requires the passenger side chasis leg to be cut and notched to allow clearance for the gearbox. a bit of hammering to the subframe also so nothing fouled. We had to make up 2 engine mounts to go along side 2 of the standard mounts. few quick pics of these.
    rear dog bone mount
    IMG_1942_zps552fa820.jpg
    Next step wiring! the plan was to get the engine running on the floor to see if we could bypass the meagane system. after a bit of head scratching we managed this so far so good. did have a vid of this somewhere but will have to dig it out. Next step was to remove all the megane wires that aren't needed. This was by far the worse part as one c**k up here we would never be able to retrace. But again it was managed with a bit of head scratching we managed to remove pretty much 80% of the megane loom with the engine still running.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1796_zps39cd06d6.jpg
    left over loom
    IMG_1049_zpsv3i5o2lf.jpg
    at this point the engine was fully in and mounted level. we started to add the megane ecu and loom and plumb in the boost/water system
    [​IMG]
    trial fitting the megane 225 intercooler and all plumbed in and wired.
    [​IMG]
    The turbo at this point was found to have allot of play so was sent away to have a brand new core
    IMG_1404_zps940vp71c.jpg
    it was after this with the loom ecu and new turbo fitted it was time to start it for the first time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this was with no exhaust and lambda sensors etc but it does run and rev etc so that's a bonus!
    we have then concentrated on the other things. Brake system is all done you can see the remote megane reservoir which has the hydraulic clutch built in just behind the turbo heat shield
    I bought a fibreglass switch panel for the dash and had it flocked to house the megane keycard, battery cut off and some switchs.
    [​IMG]
    the car is away at the minute with a friend who is fabricating the exhaust, intercooler and custom driveshaft's, but is due back today. Tonight we should be able to start it with the new full 3" turbo back exahaust, driveshaft's aren't quite ready yet so cant actually test drive it just yet.

2. Few pics of his exhaust work
    3" downpipe, apparently this was a pig to fit in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1596_zpsg93wlasj.jpg
    IMG_1602_zpstzygghjm.jpg
    megane 250 tailpipe
    [​IMG]
    very impressed with his exhaust work, if your in the market for a custom exhaust this is your guy!
    That's pretty much where we are up to. Have the custom loom to finish off fit the dash properly fit driveshafts check and double check everything and give it a road test. Its off to EFI parts for a rolling road run before any track time to check everything over and give us an idea of the power, expecting a touch over 225, and will probably remap the standard ecu at a later time if everything is ok.

3. fitted a new CV boot last night and carried on with some more wiring for the indicators and brake lights all working now. Just the hazards to sort out now. We also sprayed up the intercooler

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Kurt has finally finished the wiring, custom indicators and hazards that I couldn't do. Just needs a few more wires soldering and job done. Dash is all in now but no pic yet, just a shot of the wires!

[​IMG]

Its off to EFI parts on sunday for a diagnostic rolling road will get some new pics and vids then

5. car went to EFI parts on Sunday for a couple of runs. Chris was happy with the fuelling and boost etc which was good to hear. Slightly lean as it came on boost very low down but very safe everywhere else. Made 235BHP and 239Torque so very happy with that on a 100k standard engine.

Bought some tracking gauges and camber gauges to get the car pointing where we want it. looking to book it on its first track outing in may.

couple of vids on the rollers.

http://vid1307.photobucket.com/albums/s581/Craig_Windle/Clio 182/IMG_2845_zpsqqzbbvrd.mp4

http://vid1307.photobucket.com/albums/s581/Craig_Windle/Clio 182/IMG_2844_zpsuwydxwty.mp4

inside view from the gopro can just make out the dash layout too
    http://vid1307.photobucket.com/albu...lio 182/clio 235 Rolling road_zps0mm1jt6j.mp4

6. well did oulton park a few weeks back and for its first outing the car did ok!

Before I left we fitted some new rear shocks as my old setup had become seized

[​IMG]

at oulton we had a few teething issues which were to be expected but generally the car performed well but we were plagued with ropey handling for some reason that needs addressing.

one of the exhaust to turbo bolts went missing but luckily we had a random bolt with the same thread lying about so that fixed that. All day we could smell fuel and upon filling up at the last session we were black flagged for a fuel leak. On investigation the leak was a brimmed tank (didn't trust the megane fuel gauge) and leaking out of where the pump sits in? we were running the full megane setup, but have since rebuilt the meagne pump into the clio housing but not actually fitted it all back yet to see if this cures it. Don't suppose anyone knows if the megane/clio ring that hold the pump in place are all the same as I'm not sure which one I have in at the min?

Handling wise, it just wasn't good! we have changed allot of things about 40kg extra in the engine/box setup, raised the car a bit all round with some rake and fitted some canards. The car had been on the hunters to check camber/geo and was the same as what blink motorsport had previously set it up at. the car was going sideway on the sighting laps, felt very twitchy at high speeds and lots of torque steer but I was expecting that with the turbo setup. Any ideas? we ditched the canards for the last session but were black flagged so never got to test

I have a roll cage due any day now so that will be fitted and it will be off to blink for a full setup and corner weight, its always handled very well so not sure whats happening. could even be the tyres, I do have another set of wheels so can check that part out.

All in all, for 235BHP the speed now on track is plenty, you can happily leave it in 4th gear on the megane box and just let it pull you out of the corners. the megane box with quick shift is night and day better than the clio setup also, effortless gear changes. I have no speedo so not a clue what sort of speed we were doing but certainly pulls well!

7. slight update.
    took the car to a mates garage to have it checked over, was found that the rear wheels were oddly towing out 6mm! this is why we had funny handling on the last oulton park day!

removed some old shims and got it towing in about 4mm but better than out I guess. we corner weighted whilst it was there with some old school gauges again it was miles off!

Booked an evening day at donnington last week to check if its made any difference. car was spot on, back to its old handling ways and started to push more and more through the day. slight gear linkage issues but nothing a couple of cable ties couldn't sort and the day was a success!

hand booked oulton park for Tuesday the 4th but on last nights once over one of the manifold to turbo bolts has come loose and gone again, this is the 2nd time so going to try and get a nut on the other end this time. The exhaust has been blowing a touch ever since it was made, so we also removed the down pipe and discovered they don't quite mate up properly. Ste has addressed this today and a new gasket ordered hopefully back together before Tuesday.

pic from donnington trackday

[​IMG]

8. did oulton park a few weeks back and car still behaving as it should, but brakes have been suffering stil.. Work for a few laps then too much heat and start fading away... about half 4 on the day I felt the rear end twitch a bit. jacked it up and the off side rear bearing had some play in so packed up for the day.

I then set out to sort the brakes out, so this week have ordered a new set of brembo rear discs to sort the bearing issue out

[​IMG]

Next onto the fronts, I got a set of new brembo HC Discs up front, mine were juddering on the last track day and for the cost of new discs thought I may as well! fitted these and went for an upgrade in Brake Pads. After speaking with Ian he advised with the new power level the old pads were worn and had took a beating and recommended going for the next grade up, so ordered and fitted those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are booked on Donington for Bank holiday Monday so shall see how the brakes go then. Will have to brake them in on track sadly as I cant use the car on the road. Will look at some ducting soon also, but these pads to require heat to keep them at their best so we shall see!

Car is also booked in to have a remap at RS Tuning on the 26th of September, not sure what sort of power levels it will rise too but we shall see!

9. Well did donington on Monday but it was a wash out raining all day so couldn't push too hard. I only had 2 decent wet tyres so back end was a bit twitchy! also have no heaters and window was steaming up for fun so need to address that. fixed it a bit with a airbed pump from camping lol

a vid from the day, its on face book so not sure if it will work?

https://www.facebook.com/v2.0/plugi...3657988108278&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&width=640

some pics of new tow car, BMW 335D with a remap on route and camping

[​IMG]

IMG_3214_zpsc3vnotmi.jpg

[​IMG]

10. Took the plunge and purchased our own Laser tracking gauges and wireless corner weight scales.

Setup the clio suspension on our own for the first time before oulton for a test.

weighed the clio at 1037KG with half a tank of fuel so not bad with the turbo engine in there. corner weighted it best we could for now

IMG_5575_zpse65twgme.jpg

Finally time for a dry trackday did oulton park on the 11th of November to try and test handling brakes and new power. car certainly goes very well now and is fast enough with the power to weight! It really needs a diff putting in now so will decide on that over winter.

Brakes again weren't on the ball. after speaking to my brake man we are going to try a set of new calipers mine are 10 years old now. More importantly he's help me diagnose we don't have a one way valve in the servo so could be pressureing the brake servo! hopefully this is why the brakes aren't up to much with any luck!

Few pics from the day and I have some videos still to upload

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We are due at oulton park again Friday 11/12/2015 hopefully with it stopping a bit better!

This is the last trackday then and we are then installing a full weld in custom cages cage, and hopefully some sort of diff!

Attached Files:

11. Really good read. I had an 182 now a R26 F1. Love them both in different way. Must be an animal with that engine in. I'd defo get an R26 gearbox in there.

12. the clio is raw horrible thing to drive, but stick it on a track and it just works! I have the bmw as a daily so its all good!

have actually just bought a damaged r26 but it looks to nice to break so may either go quaife or gripper in my box, its spinning the wheel in 4th when its damp so useless coming out of corners at the min

13. Epic Clio! Also the new one must be more epic, traction and 300bhp :smiley:

14. they are both out on Friday, but yes imagine with the gripper diff and full slicks it will be fun!

15. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Oldham Ringers? You local Windle? I'm in the Lees/Uppermill area.

16. I am indeedy just up the road in grotton!

is that yours with the stripes? ive seen a blue one without stripes knocking about

17. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

It is, it doesn't have the stripes on anymore that was just for Le Mans last year. It'll be me you see most likely, i'm always backward and forwards up this way. There is another one about as well, not sure where they live, I saw it at Saddleworth sports centre earlier in fact.

Loving the work by the way, the Clio looks epic fun.

18. it is yours I've seen with the 175 reg on, we have a unit in mossley, warmco? sure ive seen you down that way too. The other blue R26 you've probably seen is my brothers!

19. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Yeah that's me R175 MEG, I take the car to MDR Autos, next door almost isn't it? Aaaah! So that's who owns the other one haha, small world.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  20. few of our lot know them at MDR good lads. We are practically over the road. Whats your surname we surely must have some mutual friends lol

yea other blue one is brothers, he also has a white 265 if you have seen that knocking about?

21. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Haha yeah I have, lovely motor, saw it drive through Uppermill this weekend actually.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  22. Few pics from oulton park last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for this year, car is now in the unit and has been swapped off the trailer with the other reason I don't have a big budget for this car, Low mile Evo 9 GT

Engine box coming out of the clio to have a gripper diff fitted and a full weld in roll cage is being fitted and a good general check from the past year, apart from some handling/braking issues the car has done better than expected!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. winter update:
    over the winter we have removed engine and box to fit a gripper diff and give it all a check over after a year of track use. one of the rear engine mounts we have used has started to give in a bit so will be uprating that a bit and a CV boot has given in. but apart from that Gripper diff is in place in the gearbox and about to be all put back together next week

[​IMG]

IMG_3522_zpsmgble6wl.jpg

[​IMG]

IMG_3518_zpssdu1rf86.jpg

[​IMG]

We have also stripped the full car and fitted the roll cage, mammoth job and big thanks to Mr H for spending every Tuesday in the clio welding! a few more bits to finish off but 95%in and welded in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

going to give it a quick freshen up inside and start bolting it all back together. hopefully back out in march some time

Did oulton park last week but not one to miss a trackday did it in the evo, totally different on track to the clio but went well!

few pics

24172219634_4dfdf7ab7c_o_zpsqaash2ln.jpg

[​IMG]

24682536492_23b5143117_o_zpsz7xaykdr.jpg

[​IMG]

24. R26R Clutch and Flywheel are here single mass!

[​IMG]

IMG_3642_zpsqsu9ewp5.jpg

Also mate is cracking on with painting the inside and cage etc, this is todays progress

[​IMG]

IMG_3644_zpsknjnthhy.jpg

IMG_3645_zpsdqe70gky.jpg