250 Let's talk coil packs

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by EBA66, Jan 5, 2019.

1. My car is pushing 200k km so I've been getting a bit of smoke, some misfires at high speed and some times it takes a bit longer for the engine to start. After changing the spark plugs, thought of treating the car with a nice set of ignition coils, to see if that fixes anything.

The question is should I go for the OEM ones or is something better out there?

2. What are the plugs gapped too? and are the OEM?

3. 0.6 and oem plugs but my question is about coil packs

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

OEM coils are best, I have bosch ones in mine just now but I still get the occasional misfire

5. And having a missfire. . .

6. Nope! my question is about the coil pack. Let's take things one at a time. The misfire for now is my problem and maybe I will make a seperate topic for it. I've just gave you bit of context with regards to why I am looking for the best coil pack.

It seems OEM Renault it is. Thank you.

7. With that many miles i would be looking towards fuel filters/pump and injectors.

8. Pump, injectors and filters are new. But this gets steered in the wrong direction. I guess stock coils do fine.

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

How much is the fuel pump on these?

10. I don't remember exactly but I think it was 350 euros OEM new

11. So, I've changed the coils with OEM ones. Wow!? quite a price on those! Almost 80e vs. 30e for aftermarket ones.
    So I went to the mechanic and one of my old coils you could literally remove by hand. Thing is that I've changed spark plugs a lot in my 200k and it payed a token on the thread from the screws for the coils.
    For those intrigued by the misfire, it was the turbo MAP sensor. On the 250 it is not fixed with a screw and it can pop out in time. See the attached photo.

So after changing coils and fixing the MAP sensor my car pulls like a train.

Attached Files:

Martin Weghammar and Mikeyjp like this.
  12. So, I've changed the coils with OEM ones. Wow!? quite a price on those! Almost 80e vs. 30e for aftermarket ones.
    So I went to the mechanic and one of my old coils you could literally remove by hand. Thing is that I've changed spark plugs a lot in my 200k and it payed a token on the thread from the screws for the coils.
    For those intrigued by the misfire, it was the turbo MAP sensor. On the 250 it is not fixed with a screw and it can pop out in time. See the attached photo.

So after changing coils and fixing the MAP sensor my car pulls like a train. No misfire, no intermittent smoke coming out of the exhaust and no smell of un-burned gasoline.

13. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

What is the part number for that sensor?

14. I didn't change it, just fixed it in place.

15. Recently I've been experiencing some more missifire on heavy load. After discussing with the tunner I've used 100 octane gasoline and the problem is gone completly, 100%. It seems the problem was the quality of gasoline. Since I'm not dutch and my car is an import, the quality of petrol or gas or whaterver you wnt to call it is a lot poorer than my home country. Maybe it is the ethanol mix they use to boost octane figures... anyway, now, till I get to see the tunner again, I have to stash on octane boosters or drive to Germany regular for that sweet 102.

Mircea likes this.
  16. Any more feedback on the Bosch coilpacks? I'm attracted to the price, 4 x Bosch for the price of 1 to 2 oem...

17. Charlie Howard

Mine have been fine, must have been a year and a half now and no issues

Mr Spoon likes this.
  18. ok thank you.
    Thoughts on changing these? Mine are 78k, look tatty but seem to work ok.

19. Charlie Howard

Very easy to do and worth changing if they've never been done, just keeps it all fresh and running at it's best

Mr Spoon likes this.
  20. Also changed mine last weekend for originals as coil number 4 had loads of white residue half way up the coil. Imagine it’s moisture as some of the rubber on them are very thin. Replaced all 4 for peace of mind

21. My bad misfire was due to bad thermostat!