250 KW Clubsports

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by jack250, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Message to all those with this setup really...

I am getting a very slight knocking sound during rebound from front left. Mainly at low speed. Car is lowered to 335mm center hub to arch. Running full soft in compression and rebound. I've checked all the different suspension bushings (ARB links, track rods etc) for wear and all sound (they should be as only a year old).

Doing some reading into KW they seem to have a common issue with a knocking sound. I am 95% certain this wasn't audible when i fitted them back in May. Can anyone shine a light on the situation.

Cheers

2. Since we’re talking clubsport here i take it you have the topmounts aswell?

If so it’s probably the uniball that’s wearing out

3. Yep have the top mounts too mate. How can you detect this?

Nuno Ferreira likes this.
  4. I also after fited new KW Clubsport kit periodically hear a knock in front of the right or left
    knocks harder on the right and at the same time there is a backlash and gives to the steering wheel and at pads
    I checked everything at suspension all new parts
    front arms and ball joints and also I have new steering rack
    what will be the problem?
    maybe someone got the same issue

5. ??

6. ive heard this is a common issue, nothing broken just a knock from the kws. Im sure i remember someone reviewing a crazy hybrid and the guy was saying that he was going to replace them with nitrons as the knock was bugging him.

7. the fact is that I changed the right shock absorber 3 times already !! they sent me new KW shocks but the knock don't go away! I don't think it's KW

8. Knocks could mean quite a few things. Top mounts, upper and lower swivel hub joints, wishbone bushes or ball joint. Anti roll bar links or even anti rotational links. I'd get the car up and give everything a good wiggle.

9. I've only had my Clubsports in for 6 months or so, and haven't experienced any knock. I'm running 355mm ride height (wheel c/l to arch) and -2.5 deg.

Are you lower?

I had a problem after I got some repairs done by the dealer prior to purchasing a year ago, to replace the perfo-hub assembly due to cracked rubber on the upper swivel joint. I agreed for them to replace the complete assembly with a good second hand one. After a few months after a track day I noticed a knock and steering movement upon accelerating or lifting off on the drive home. Also had ESP fault light come up. Long story short when they took off the hold hub they didn't realise the Al bush for the steering tracking rod ball joint was left in the perfo-hub, so when the reconnected it to the new hub it would only sit in a part of the recess and eventually loosen the nut with steering action. I had to point out the problem to the dealer which was pretty average - Although he was a Subaru dealer!

One final suggestion relating to sway bar links; when I first set these up (since adjusted) I noticed they came dangerously close to fouling the lower control arm. Maybe check for any "shiny" areas showing possible contact.

10. mate all suspension at my car are new ! I change everything in suspension
    new steering rack !! new lower arms + I change all ball joint in hubs!! + new rotation links and new swaybar super pro bushings !!!
    also I changed my right Kw shock absorber for 2 times !! its crazy but it still knocks sometimes !!

11. yes car lowered I thing +- 350-355мм (wheel c/l to arch) an also -2.5 deg
    I also noticed that the ear under the drop links on the clubsport is almost 2 cm lower than on the stock!!
    and I already ordered adjustable drop links to bring it back to factory height!! let's see what effect it has

12. Could the knock not be the top mounts? I believe these are a common failure point and unless the four adjustment bolts are torqued correctly can make some noise. Depending on the ride height the helper spring/perch can also cause a knock but should be quite subtle.

13. No top mounts are tight and double check. No probs with it.
    Also what do you mean about helper spring? Car lowered like kw recommended in manual

14. Depending on how compressed the helper spring is at the ride height set they can “clap” as they load/unload against the main spring. Unlikely to be your issue. Also check grub screw is tight on main spring seat.

15. I understand. There is really no problem. I check it all several times. I have another issue
    in addition to knocking, it still worries me that when turning, the car does not rest against the outer wheel, but slides out of the turn

16. and also it’s interesting thing that my friend’s car on kw var3 suspension(recommended settings) and with stock camber and 0 toe at front and stock rear settings steers much better and reacts sharper to steering turns and the car feels much more stable than mine car with clubsport

17. morning,
    Just reading this thread. You say your going to fit adjustable drop links, did you not fit these when you fitted the clubsports. Depending on what drop link you used you could have preload on the anti roll bar causing the knock. If you used adjustable drop links you could turn the front wheels and disconnect the top of one of the drop links and see if you can remove it from the shock. ( whilst car is on the ground ) It should be adjusted so it should just slide out.
    Might help

18. yes, I understand how it should be, and I will do it as soon as I get new racks !! but I can't understand how its position can affect the handling of the car

19. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

If the droplinks are wrong it will cause the Arb to bind and will definitely effect how the car handles

20. I will try soon the adjustable links and tell you what has changed
    but I still can't understand how it can affect the handling

21. here is another interesting question
    Are the power steering settings the same for phases 1 and 2?