R26 Knock from N/S front

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Benno, Feb 4, 2018.

1. So I've been getting a knock from the nearside front wheel area whilst going over bumps in the road and manhole covers for a little while now. I had a look under the car a while ago and couldn't see anything obvious, but it's gotten progressively worse over the last couple of months. I did a little digging through some previous threads on here and some people said the anti rotation links can cause bad knocks when they go. Fast forward to today and I've just checked under the car again and the N/S anti rotation link looks like this:
    R49n64B.jpg
    I'm no mechanic, but that doesn't look right to me, could it be causing the knock?

2. looks fked,and also doesnt even look like it tight.
    undoe the nut and see if the ball and socket is flopping about..should be reasonably tight with some resistance when moving around.

Just get these and the other vertical droplinks done.

They are absolutely peanuts from mister auto..they are the genuine links,and massively cheaper than renault prices.

The links to the site are a sticky thread in the steering etc section.

Justin Joyce likes this.
  3. How difficult are they to change on the drive? I'm fairly mechanically inexperienced.

4. easy mate..i did both sets on my drive.

5. Hi I can' find the sticky thread about the anti rotation links on here could you point me in the right direction.
    Cheers

6. Bit of an update on this. I've bought new droplinks and anti twist links using the information in the stickied thread (great service from mister auto btw) I'm still deciding whether to tackle them myself or have them fitted. However I'm now thinking the knock might be the swivel hub bearing. Reason I say this is I've just had new tyres fitted (PS4's) and immediately I've noticed the steering has gotten quite heavy, especially at low speeds and it also doesn't want to fully self centre. Also, when turning right at low speeds (eg. into a parking space), there's a very noticeable groan/grumble from the N/S front. This may all be down to having new tyres but I'm not sure. Anyone shed some light on this?

Justin Joyce likes this.
  7. I had water that had been penatrating n/s track rod end steering rack for quite some time causing creaking sound at low speed then got progressively worst after a longer run. The rubber boot wasn’t initially secured in place and was that badly corroded I ended changing the rack and track rod end. Problem solved