Just ordered 275...

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by nickfrog, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Hi. Cup-S coming early June as follows:

Titanium grey
    Recaros
    R link + Monitor V2
    Climate + auto lights + rain sensor
    Rear parking sensors + camera

My first Renault since the 80's !! (Renault 5 GTL 1.1, POS). Staying on 18s of course and will fit NS2-Rs straight away. Will also debadge front and back (does the front RS badge come off easily with heat and floss ? How does the front look without it ?)

Lucky enough to have got the Friends and Family deal but need to sell the M135i first...

[​IMG]

2. What's the on road price with at discount Nick?. I'm awaiting mine. June expected.

3. Nice one, been looking at those m135i as my next car to replace my rs265 ,are they any good?
    Cheers

4. Jonny I pmed you. Only slightly less than the cheapest broker.
    Ictr, M135i is a great car providing you fit the M4 lower control arms for 2deg of camber. It has neutralised the handling and improved steering feel and responsiveness too. The engine and general refinement is superb too which makes a rather different proposition to the Megane of course. My car is on PH (cheapest facelift car) if you're interested.

5. Like the M135i mate. Sounds like a nice spec on your 275. Rear badge/letters will come off easily with floss and some form of gentle heat.

6. Cheers Michael. Has anyone removed the front RS logo ? I wonder what it will look like. I am tempted to remove the Megane lettering at the back too and go commando.

7. My Titanium Grey Cup-S is scheduled for May/June delivery too :smile: I opted for a similar spec to yourself

Pretty sure I will be removing the "Megane" from the back too. If it's anything like my Clio, you can just use a hair dryer and some dental floss as others have said. Not sure if the "RS" up front will be a little more complicated as it could be fixed into position, rather that just glued.

8. Cheers Alex. Pictures of Titanium are few and far between, unless someone has posted some here ? I just proceeded by elimination for colour choice.

9. Titanium Grey is lovely, I have it on my 275 that I picked up a few weeks ago, almost has a blue tinge to it at times.

Funny that you're getting rid of the M135, I almost went for one instead of the 275. Good choice on options too, similar to mine but it's a NAV so has auto things already, I went for the Cup Chassis on mine and it has the RS Monitor V2 and it's good fun to play around with etc, few other bits and bobs too. You'll love it!

10. Thanks Silver. Would you please be able to share pics of your car ?

11. I must admit I REALLY wanted Liquid Yellow haha. Parking it near a busy road I was a bit cautious this would make it stand out though.

I think Titanium Grey is fairly new to the Megane RS, hence the lack of pictures! Luckily the dealer I went to had a Captur in stock with TG so I could have a good look.

M135i was on my list of potentials too, along with the 370z and Golf R. I enjoyed driving the Megane so much more and I think I'm a little loyal to Renault after owning a Clio... oops

12. They really offer a very different driving experience - I guess moving to the Megane is primarily for the few track days and Ring trip as I feel that the M135i is not quite in its element despite sub 3 mn at Spa on road tyres.

13. Sure, I'll try and get some up tonight.

Yeah I have a funny feeling it's only been available on 275's... although I may be completely wrong with that, haha.

I was torn between M135i, and a new face lift ST-3. In the end I went with the Renault, certainly glad I did as it may not be as fast as a 135i in a straight line, but it'll certainly hold it's own on the twisties etc.

14. Sent you a pm Nick. I'm coming from a golf r so will be interesting to compare. On the extended test drive I did it felt more focused, brilliant turn in and promises to be fu. On track.mthe golf r has been great though. Never tracked it though as its leased and I've got an e36 m3 that is partially track prepped. With the way prices are going up I'll probably retire it and use the Meg instead. Just missed the m135i deals befor I dropped on the golf offers. Yours looks nice.

15. Did you manage to get in on one of these crazy Golf R lease deals that cropped up on PistonHeads? Less than £200pcm for 4.9s to 60 was mega value!

16. Hi and welcome Nick.

Plenty of new 275's on here now :smile:

Can I ask you guys, if you didn't have Renault RS's before, what made you jump in?

17. Thanks for the reply but will be a while before I change

18. Not that cheap mate. Mine was £338 a month with leather and pearlescent paint specced. £1800 down but servicing and tyres included plus road tax. Great car. In response to Xanda, interest in the Meg was stirred by the press and previous renaultsport experience. The test drive did it for me though. Here's a pic at bottom of even triangle west leg.

[​IMG]

19. Good question. For me a combination of factors:

Being French my aim in life was to never have to own a Reno again (they are the equivalent of your Vauxhalls) so lots of not so irrational prejudice against the brand mainly about reliability prevented me so far.
    This particular model has been on my radar for my past 4 cars really as I am still trying to combine DD and track car into one, which we all know is impossible (failed with a Boxster, a 125i e82, a GT86 and the current M135i). When everyone tells you that the Megane RS is quite reliable, well built and ultimately rewarding to drive + will take a few laps then you end up believing it, eventually.

But the final trigger was the opportunity to buy it at a huge discount through a recent new job in Motorsport.

20. Arr, nickfrog - get it now :smile:

I pulled my face at Renault being the equivalent of Vauxhall - I thought at least Ford!

I wondered if it was the price or the reputation/reviews that were pulling people in; seems to be both really I guess.

21. Thx for the warm welcome btw. Didn't mean to be rude despite being French :wink:

22. Hope you are dialled into FWD as all your previous DD/track cars were RWD.

Having said that, the Megane does a top job as a working 5 seater that can also cut it on track with just a bit of tweaking. Fine choice.

23. lol, not rude at all, glad to have you along.

What do you do in motorsport, if you don't mind me asking?

24. Cheers - easier to get back to FWD I guess although the Megane's rear end is actually more mobile when trail braking than a std M135i which even push understeers under a moderate throttle...until you fit M4 LCAs...

I guess pads will be the first mod after the NS2-R - What aggressive pad will still work on the road ?

25. I look after a project for the opening of a new British owned circuit in NE France - will take another 2/3 years before it opens though...sadly !

26. I actually meant to ask :

- Is the full cavalry of 275 ponies available from the off and without any mode or throttle map change ?
    - The lack of Xenons is a little disappointing. Are there decent bulb upgrades that will improve things without melting the headlights ?

27. Pads are a minefield. Best blast out a forum search and you will find the usual suspects - suitably favoured or not for the usual random reasons or suspect brand loyalty.

Blast some decent fluid through, drop some mass out and start nibbling the limiter.....

28. There's a RS button (stupidly placed):

Normal mode - 250ps, full ESP & traction control
    Sport mode - 275ps , relaxed driver aids & changeable throttle maps
    Race mode - 275ps , no aids and same throttle maps

I believe you need the RS Monitor to be able to change the throttle map though, which is enough alone to spec the option - the car drives so much better on a more aggressive throttle map. The button defaults to normal every time you stop the engine.

The usual bulb upgrade is Phillips/OSRAM nightbreakers or similar.

29. As above or get a decent Remap and you can have about 300 bhp on tap in normal mode. Saves having to poke the ESP switch and disengage the Cruise Control.

30. And that will screw your warranty and you still won't have the changeable throttle map, and who uses the cruise control/speed limiter on these cars?

31. I won't want to remap it as I am not bothered about straight line performance really. Not worth losing the warranty IMO.

32. Not everybody is that fussed about a warranty and Renault may not even suss you have a remap anyway.

CC is a nice function to have and it's a nause to have to kill it with a switch and then pump the Sport button to get the 275 bhp.

Some find the throttle maps too extreme for normal use.

Having 300+ bhp instantly on tap is nice to have.

The chap has already made his own mind what suits him best anyway.

33. You'd have to be if you owned a GT86 lol.

34. At the risk of getting into another pointless argument with you, why the hell would you engage CC in sport mode? As soon as you touch any of the pedals it disengages automatically so unless you're cruising at V-max, how would it ever work?

Most people are bothered about a warranty - it's one of the main reasons people buy a new car IMHO.

The throttle map is too extreme in normal use, hence it being on a button. You select sport or race mode when on track or on a spirited drive, and normal in town etc. Renault have designed the system perfectly (apart from the button placement).

Are you this belligerent in real life, or just on here?

35. Is the headlining black ?

36. You don't engage CC in sport mode. You need to first deselect CC to get sport mode and then hit the ESP/ASR switch for 275 bhp. It's a nause.

Dont forget, Renault won't warrant a car for track use.

Also, many meganes are out of warranty so owners don't give a monkeys about it and even if it is they will often take the risk.

Lots of opinions to consider, not just yours lol. Relax.

37. It's a dark grey on the Trophy (I think)

38. Sounds like you are working for Mr Palmer.

39. Unless the pictures are wrong, that's not a RS Megane.

Quote from site:

"Please note, the deal you are currently viewing is a hot deal. Some of the other 1 variants for this vehicle may be automatically loaded from our funder systems so please request a quote and we will see if the hot deal extends to your ideal parameters."

I think it's what they call in America, bait and switch.