225 Impending hub bearing replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Jamesycc, May 31, 2018.

1. 99% sure my left wheel bearing is fubar'd so will be looking to replace it very soon.

Bought an impact wrench to be on the safe side.

Was told the swivel bearings were done recently so I'll check them out whilst the hubs in bits.

Just wondering if there is any top tips. I'll be plusgasing the shit out of everything and having removed bearings before I'm expecting a fight.!!

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

would have thought your struggle alot without a press

3. This guide is good

https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/...25-r26-front-hub-lower-swivel-bearings.38970/

Plus gas is very useful but I didn’t find the need for my impact gun.

Mostly basic tools other than the 32mm socket for the hub nut and the hex socket head screws for the caliper are bigger than most Allen key sets cater for - 12mm if I remember correctly.

One tip I’ll add is that you need to jack the strut up a bit in order to remove the rear of the 3 screws on the ball joint.

Once the hub is off, you’re gonna need a press or at the least a substantial vice.

Other option is to get the hub off and pop to a local garage and see if they’ll press the bearings out and back in for you.

4. Cheers guys.

Ive got a mate with a 10 tonne press so I'm sorted on that front.

We'll see how it goes...

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

make sure you put the bearing in the right as well, as its got a abs ring built in

6. Yep, done me research regarding the magnetic encoder.

Cheers chaps

7. So rather fortuitously my hub bearing is fine.

Fitted my newly acquired r26 alloys on Sunday and the vibration and noise I had has gone.

Something obviously amiss with the old wheels, a wheel weight missing or something in the tyre. No obvious sign of an issue but either way the hub is good.

I did think it odd as I was told the hub bearings had been changed, all of them.

Still need to whip of the carrier though as the gaitor is properly knackered. Huge split nearly all the way around.

Next job to be jobbed..