If you werent driving a Megane what would you buy next

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Danny Danger, Jul 29, 2018.

1. I think they're saying up to 50k. Slight snag it's a joint collaboration with the new z4, using a lot of BMW parts including the engine. Hopefully this doesn't result in a bit of a soft supra

2. I think they're saying up to 50k. Slight snag it's a joint collaboration with the new z4, using a lot of BMW parts including the engine. Hopefully this doesn't result in a bit of a soft supra

3. Surely for a halo product like the supra you'd want to know it's 100% Toyota dna not some mish mash designed for different markets.

I'm all for collaboration but a supra should be a supra. Fully Jap all the way.

RSTim and Chrisball35 like this.
  4. I completely agree... Its sounding great on paper, RWD 365 bhp and a straight six turbo. However, if it's just a z4 in different clothes it's not really a successor to the previous supra... Definitely interested but I'll be watching how things progress

Jamesycc likes this.
  5. The 335i would be a much better car imho :smile:
    The lazy v8 in that m3 is sad..

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

6. Im keeping an eye for the new mazda rx, rx9 or whatever it will be called. The enginering of an rx7, amd rx8 is so superior to all the other in the class they were is huge. Carbon driveshaft, torsen LSD 2:1 ratio, perfect 50:50 ratio. Small turning moment of inertia, ect ect... The car is a pure driwers car. The foot space from the pasanger is taken up to fit the catalitic cinverter beneth it. Pic in attach of the space on interior and from bottom where now it is occupied by a straight pipe

daed1c876a1997dc57d8b4195cf0171a.jpg 55373ab2a3ee7867c4bff0094719aa7a.jpg

7. Agreed... It made a great noise but there was nothing to it. To quote James May, there was no fizz. I get in the megane and love it every time and spirited driving leaves a massive grin. I got in the bimmer and thought I should love this, but never did. Ever.

MilosB likes this.
  8. but the RX8 engine drank fuel at a alarming rate,with wafer thin torque figure..
    you can pick them up for absolute peanuts now.The last of the line run out models with the round tail lights,and lightweight alloys..especially in white looked awesome.

MilosB likes this.
  9. My mate has an RX8 and i have never seen so rust on a modern car ever, its disgarseful, and the rear lights fill up with water lol

10. Yeah the rear lights. Easy fix, same as floding the footwell from the clogged drain hoses on the meganes.. :smile:

11. Lotus Exige.

MilosB likes this.
  12. For the same budget as a megane, golf gti mk6. Then upgrade to 300bhp and sharpen chassis a bit. Money no object a GT3 touring.

13. As my megane is just really for track i don't hanker for anything else except a caterham 620r but the lack of roof would be a pain on some trackdays i have done. I doubt i will ever have a Renault for the road as my main car.

MilosB likes this.
  14. Not sure tbh, I had clio 197/200 on the list, but was put off by the amount of gearbox problems, thought about a mazda 3 mps, but really did not like the interior and the dashboard looked like it had 1000 buttons on it, or it would have been a TT, which is probably where I would go if I sold this one

15. TT will be nothing like the megane to drive.
    My mate has a TT RS...stonking motor.But you really have to work round the understeer to make good pace.

16. I thought at the time I moved from my r26 to the M2 in March this year I didn’t realise so many Megane owners would consider it there next car. I thought I’d upload a pic as you can see I couldn’t resist tinkering just a little

Attached Files:

BreadvanMatt and MilosB like this.
  17. Fabulous car..running it would be beyond my means though!

18. Even though I don't (yet) have a Megane, in the same price point there's nothing else that interests me really.
    Without budget limits though, it would be 964 Porsche Turbo for the summer and an Integrale Evo 2 for the winter. And a Renault 5 Turbo 2 for a weekend car :smile: Yeah I'm a nostalgic guy.

MilosB likes this.
  19. It's a tricky question if you want something that's a drivers car. I came from bmws but I didn't think the 130i was all that and an e46 m3 is very expensive to run. I love the e46 330ci coupe but good ones are rare now.
    I30n lease??

20. I personally have not found the m cars that expensive to run as road cars, tyres are a bit more pricey but servicing is not that bad when compared to renault and hyundai. service intervals are quite good as well. I have recently sold my f10 M5 and still have my x5m, cant say i find them expensive to run but they are in warranty. my renault r26 new clutch and dmf etc at £1300 was a shocker.
    for my k1600 new fancy dan key fob that is keyless ride and operates functions on the bike was £175, new key for the hyundai which is the cheapest shittiest looking key out there was £160 when keyed to the car.

21. I think with bmw's it's what could go wrong rather than what does. The forums are full of horror stories but I was lucky with the cars I owned. The 135i is a performance bargain but elec water pumps are £700, abs units can get water ingress which is £1500 etc.
    Funny that my R26 has had the horror story problems so I can't really criticize other brands!
    How about an early Cayman s ?

22. yes good point, if i keep one longer than the 3 years i always get the bmw extra warranty. had beemers as my main road cars and had a lot of them over the past 20 years....never had any major issues at all.....that is a kiss of death statement i might regret. I did have a supercharged XJR when they came out years ago and oh my lord the major failures on that were a shocker.

23. Re megane alternative. If the budget can stretch to £15k then the focus st (2.3 4cyl) and astra vxr are both great hot hatches. Yes even the astra!
    Chris Harris did a video a few years back comparing them to a meg 250

24. mate had a 2008 cayman S.
    It snapped its exhaust bolts off in the head by itself.
    If he didnt have access to a fully fitted garage to re-tap the bolts into the head,the bill would have been 1000`s for a new head and labour to fit.

25. Probably a Nissan 350Z or Focus RS/ST. But cant see me letting go of the R26 for a while. Next car will have to be over 300 bhp hehe.

26. NJH

NJH

Personally I wouldn't touch an early Cayman S or the similar age 996.2 / 997 for the simple reason that these were the worst of the Porsche engines for serious problems such as bore scoring. The generation 2 though from 2009 on seems to be fine but these are £25k and up for an S, a little less for the 2.9. Unfortunately all the cars with the newer much better designed engine are sought after. A 997 with that newer DFI engine for example is still from around £35k for what is now nearly a ten year old car.

27. Yeah that's a bit above budget for me! I'd spend £13k on an astra vxr. The new one with 276bhp, I love the looks and by most accounts are up there with the focus and megane to drive.

28. If I didn't need (proper) back seats for the dog, I'd probably be looking for a 997 C2S.

I would have been thinking about the new Alpine, but honestly after going back to a manual daily, there's no way I'd go for an auto again, so that's ruled that out.

A Lotus would be nice, but there's no way I'd want to use one as a daily in the winter.

29. I test drove one a couple of years ago and really liked it actually. The dash isn't the nicest but, otherwise, I thought it was a really decent car. I didn't think I would, but it impressed me a lot. Not sure I would have one over a Megane, but it's a very good car.

30. more pics..less chat :hearteyes:

31. What's the budget though? You can't have an M2 or a 997 or a lotus for megane money..
    I want a GT2rs and a CLS63 shooting brake!

32. Looking on Pistonheads (and I've looked a bit before!), you can definitely pick up a 997 C2S for Megane 280 money. You could easily get a second hand Elise for that (and the 1.6 model wasn't far off that new).

33. Ahh so about £28k then . I thought we meant £5- £15k like most Meganes.

34. I had been flirting with the idea of an M135i. But each time I drive the Megane I fall a bit in love with it again.

I have had an E46 M3 and that was a little gem. Really wish I did not sell that. Miss that car. Wasn't massive money to run but then I was lucky as nothing went wrong with it.

I did just buy a Mk1 MX5 and am going to Turbo it though :hearteyes:

35. Mate of mine has a 135i.

Internally from an aesthetics point of view it's light years ahead of the Megane. Useability wise they have the same stuff in them so it's personal preference.

On the hoon it has unbelievable pace in a straight line. Get it on the twistys and the Megane is in a league of its own.

Now the 1er is a beautiful car. Build quality is superior as expected when comparing bmw to Renault but for driving it depends what u want.

He enjoys the 1er and the back end experience but coming from a front wheel drive he knows it has limitations on a good road trip.

It really comes down to personal preference. The Megane is more raw and enjoys beating you up a bit on the twistys. The 1er is a more refined ride which has its own way of making you smile during the hoon.

We both enjoy watching each other's cars, how we take corners differently, how they react to certain underlations and road conditions.

End of the day, test drive it and enjoy. It's all personal preference. My mate loves his bmw and for his current life style it's suits but he does admit missing the front wheel drive on occasions.

36. You have summed up pretty much everything I have read about it. Also my take on it.

It won't happen this year. But they are a performance bargain for the price they can be had for. Light mods and you are knocking on the door of 400bhp as well nearly. Just controlling that power.

In the wet I suspect they are a right handful.

37. I like the 135's there just dull to look at like the golf r's. You do seem to get quite good value for money with them but to the purists there not a 'm' car. A lot of good pcp deals on the 140i and the type of morons I see in them puts me off them. Reminds me of certain bikers, look how fast I can go in a straight line, then shit them selves at a corner.

JlllCK J likes this.
  38. Friend at work has a 2015 Golf R, i drove it a while back and was very impressed - bloody fast! It seemed a bit soft in the corners and rolled more than I thought it would but I think he left it in comfort. It's a high quality item and I'd have one over a BMW. Looks sharp in black.

39. I’m replacing my Megane in March / April with a M2 Competition.
    Placed the order in June.

40. NJH

NJH

To be honest I will change my contribution. I still have my (now road legal) Porsche 944 S2 race car so that is really my track/fun car rather than the Meg. The Meg will most likely be replaced by either something much more economical: the new Fiesta ST, or any one of a range of diesel cars depending on what is available at the time to provide the best deal, something like a CLA 350, or if by then we have moved close to the mrs work I am going to consolidate down and out our Freelander II as well and get a crazy estate, either e61 M5 touring or C63 estate. Really fancy one of those and can't get it out of my mind.