If you werent driving a Megane what would you buy next

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by Danny Danger, Jul 29, 2018.

1. So it comes up to my 1st year of ownership and i am still not sure how i feel about the car. I have done no track days in it which i know a lot seem to do. Its an epic little car for the price point but i must think at least once a week of selling up. Trouble is when i think of a replacement nothing seems to float my boat. The only thing that seems to be tempting at the minute is a cayman gt4 or lotus exige 430 cup.

So guys what would you buy and why.

2. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Both of them are massively more expensive than the Megane!
    I've always liked the Subaru hatchback.

3. I sold mine a few months ago as I needed a bigger car that could tow. I miss the Megane constantly lol. At a similar price point, I'm not sure there is much else I would buy.

I do have a bit of a thing for the Hyundai i30 N so, if I was spending a bit more, I would be tempted by one of those.

4. Charlie Howard

At a similar price point nothing except the Subaru would interest me, but that's getting old now and 2018 one is hideous!
    If we're talking dream cars then 1969 Camaro.

5. I like the Hyundai, prices on them will plummet as it's a Hyundai in everyone's eyes

Cazper likes this.
  6. I agree for the price point there isn't anything really, I loved the sti's and evo's growing up. When I could finally afford one the interiors seemed dated, prices are over priced with cars knocking on 80k miles and they've been ragged by every previous owner

7. Charlie Howard

Prices are pretty good on the hatchback versions, low mileage ones around the same price around the Meganes but insurance is a lot more.
    My Megane is £1500 a year and Subaru was 2500.

8. Always was a Ford man for the last 45 years,been through them all. Last 3 or 4 years onto Renault,still love the Meg. I drive tons of different cars working in the motor trade and If I ever sold up I guess it would be a Focus RS.again simply for a change. Just prefer hatches to sports cars really.

9. Charlie Howard

Never been a fan of the Focus myself, interior let's it down. I do think the Megane drives the best for the price point.

10. I bought a new mk2 focus RS years ago, chose it over the Megane. Was running 440hp tuned by revo. The mk3 rs doesn't do much for me.

11. Charlie Howard

Sounds like you've never fallen in love with the car.

12. I think your right, I certainly enjoy driving it but I've never said I love it. I think I've been spoilt. Out of all the hot hatchs/ fast cars I've had the megane is the cheapest and the slowest I've owned. I've got friends who also own a lot of high end cars. There daily cars are new m3s, rs6's and the weekend cars are gt3s and 458 speciale's.

13. Charlie Howard

Not right to compare the Megane to them though. Out of all the same generation hot hatches the Megane is certainly the quickest. Maybe not in a straight line but round corners, which is more important.
    Saying that I've driven a Cayman on track and it's slower than the Megane in corners.

14. I was looking at a Subaru before the megane and insurance seems to be ridiculous on them for some reason, megane was £1000 and the Subaru was £3500.

15. Well I love my Megane 275, but I track it every 5 weeks or so, so for me it fits the role of being able to take a track beating and just need oil essentially.

Previous cars are 2005 STi, 2010 207 GTi, Ford XR6 Turbo Ute and a few other non performance cars. Do I think the Megane is the best car I’ve owned, yes and no for different items really. The interior was a huge step up on the others with the alcantara etc, is it more exciting than the STi, on the streets no, but on the track it has a sense of adjustability that’s fun.

Anyway my next car I think will be the M2 Competition, and hopefully it can fit the dual roll of road car and weekend track day hero as well as the Megane has. And as for track day speed, it’s really subjective to the drivers ability. I’ve embarrassed a lot of cars multiple times the price, but I’ve also been challenged by cheaper cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie ninja likes this.
  16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Trackspec E92 M3 or an F80 M3 with some track mods.

17. Charlie Howard

I'm baffled by all these choices lol! They're all so much experience than the Megane

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Without spending a decent amount your not really going to step up in terms of performance from the Megane.

MilosB likes this.
  19. Charlie Howard

We'll see what the future brings, past 10 years has seen a decent jump in performance

20. I've been looking at e92 m3s for a while. I love the look of the team schirmer cars. I don't use the car as a daily so fuel costs don't bother me. Presume it's £500 a year road tax. Don't know the pitfalls of these cars on what breaks but you can pick them up now from £15k

21. Well I've had quite a fair few high performance cars scoobys focus rs megane 250 etc
    And swapped 2 years ago to a range rover evoque
    What can I say out of them all I miss the Megane the most, I miss the ride the seats the looks the power ,and the most thing I miss about it is caring for her.
    I fallen out of love with the evoque 23 months ago and can't wait to move on, I've had it remapped and all sorts but there's no love I have washed it maybe 3 times in 2 years and vacuumed it once haha

22. I bought my self an rx8 :smiley: 6bac56f2d953dd18bcbb83b75aa3c947.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

massivewangers likes this.
  23. I've always had a bit of a craving for one of those

MilosB likes this.
  24. Well I think I need to go out and have a bonding session with the car, I think the problems me not the car. Doesn't help I only do about 2000 miles a year in it

25. Just take it to the flaming track mate, that’ll stop your bitchin’ [emoji57][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. I agree with take it to the track. I wanted to hug my Megane after the first track day I did in it. :smile:

But to answer the question, I’d buy an M2.

MilosB likes this.
  27. My mate had the i30N performance for about a month, gave it back because he couldn't afford it at 19 lol. I never drove it but spent some time in it, and was actually quite similar to the mk3 RS. Looks subjective, personally don't like them myself. Similar ride to mk3 stock, but sounds better. More tech and similar performance with a slightly slower 0-60 despite the 271bhp, but this car is new in the last year and the mk3 RS was done 8 years ago. Personally if you want a proper performance car, I wouldn't be tempted with one as it's aimed more at the hot hatch but spacious and practical market. Hatches have moved on, this car will sit nearer the bottom of this generation of hot hatches imo and this car will depreciate rapidly. Good car but needs more power to compete with this generation of rivals personally

28. I do about that in mine but almost all are weekend blasts across the UK and the occasional TD. It's a fantastic car because its small enough for UK roads (check out the size of the current hot hatch stars, particularly the CTR and MRS) but fast too, especially with a Stage 1 remap.

I get bored of mine every so often and its almost always when I haven't driven it for a while. You not bonding with it won't change if you bought something else because you'd do the same thing.

In terms of VFM its totally unbeatable. At the price point you have to accept its the best and anything else won't be as good at doing what the R26 does. Upgrade can keep you interested and most cost very small amounts relatively speaking.

I'd love the current FRS but at £30k its a totally different proposition.

MilosB likes this.
  29. I would have the new civic type R..i know its a dogs dinner to look at.
    But it really is a ground up drivers car like the old Integra.
    Dont really care what it looks like, if its a thrilling drive.

30. I wouldn't mind a GT86 for a bit of fun, but I'd probably end up with a newer Megane.

31. So I actually went and looked at Cayman gt4. Wow what a car. It feels like a rocket, has a lot of road presence and actually sounds like a performance car. The megane engine sound is a big disappointment for me. The gear ratios were a little long though. Did I love the Porsche, yep. Do I love it for £75k nope lol. Kept thinking it's not a gt3. I think you get to a certain point when it's the law of diminishing returns.

32. NJH

NJH

M2 for me likewise. Down to 35k already and with the new M2 Competition on the block it will only drop further, I reckon when they hit about 25k I hope to be in the position to buy. Given that I am unlikely to do more than 2 or 3 trackdays a year a pure trackday car doesn't make sense, however from what I have seen of the M2 on trackdays they look like one hell of a good compromise.

33. Had an E92 dct..epic engine, epic gearbox but as a package I never got on with it at all, which makes it strange that I'm now looking at possibly either an M2 or an understeering RS3 next summer if the new trophy does not hit the mark, or is close on 40k.

Another option is a used 280 next year, prices will more than likely do the usual nose dive and by then there will be tuning options available to make a cracking all rounder.

34. After doing quite a bit of reading the m3 can be a bit hit and miss. You have to be really on it to enjoy it supposedly. Where I live it will be completely useless in winter. £535 a year road tax.

35. I had an e92 m3 with manual gearbox prior to the megane (plus a few other hot hatches)... I wouldn't get another BMW. The M3 just didn't do it for me. Not enough torque and you had to seriously thrash it to enjoy the power. Add on some reliability issues, service costs plus tyre costs and it just didn't make sense. I can honestly say, the megane (for me) is a more enjoyable car to drive.

evojkp likes this.
  36. Popped in the Porsche garage the other day whilst the car was having some warranty work done.

Cayman was a lovely place to be but I'd have to follow several of the other members thou and go M2 for the next one.

37. As a replacement for my megane I'm watching progress on the new supra. Sounds pretty good so far...

MilosB likes this.
  38. Will a new supra not be mega money. I know the M2 is a step up if your going new.

What's the price bracket expected for the supra

39. Not sure why but I keep seeing the Peugeot RCZ and really wanting one, the R version obviously.

Like the uniqueness of them and it's still French.

Other than that there isn't much I can think of. Not a beemer fan, never have been.

Not many VAGs I want to own. I do like the focus RS but again not enough to want one.

I'd probably go back and get a looked after 172 cup as I miss my old one lots.

40. probably one of these focus rs.jpg