265 Hub carrier swivel bearings

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by paulmorgan901, Oct 24, 2018.

1. So I decided to change the swivel bearings myself. After reading various posts about changing them I thought it was going to be more difficult than it actually was. Bottom one was gone, with loads of play. Top didn’t have any play but I decided to change it anyway as it was stripped. Give yourself around 2 hours to complete, unless you have access to a ramp.
    41fc3eb23f9651c2a9809a96d38f17e9.jpg d19f66cb1ae58cf66c0d8b7d8fb541a9.jpg 875cb81efea2f1f1686eebcce82a5aba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I've been looking at refreshing the front end on mine and thought why aren't more people just doing it themselves. What did you press them in and out with, them C looking press tools.

Did you stick them in the freezer before pressing them back in.

3. I used a small manual press. Bit awkward to get the carrier sitting square though. Didn’t bother with the freezer trick and they went in ok.

4. It’s the bottom pinch bolt that looks difficult to me. The hex looks like it would easily round off.

5. Yeah mine nearly did! Shit design, what’s wrong with a good old hex head? I drowned it in WD40 and once cracked I wound it in and out a bit.

6. Done well doing them 2 hours a side. I could not get the shaft out of the passenger side hub had to stick it in the press once stripped. Took 20ton to pop it out and come out with a bang. All the bolts were corroded to feck too.

What kind of small press did you use ? I had a right carry on fitting it in my 20ton press.

7. From my experience from taking out the struts to fit lowering springs, every nut/bolt is seized and it's generally just a pain in the arse to do.

best of just paying someone the £140 per side to do it.

The joint itself is £60 so you aren't saving much doing it yourself.

Brigsy likes this.