250 Gearbox oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by crowdie, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Hey,

I'm thinking of changing my gearbox oil soon but have yet to do a gearbox oil change so it will be a new experience.

Is anybody able to give some general guidance on the task?

What oil do people generally use and in what quantity, is it a case of brimming it?

Cheers

PahLok likes this.
  2. 2.4L for the PK4 gearbox in the 250.

Elf Tranself NFP will be the oem stuff.

Capture.JPG

3. I like fully synthetic Motul Gear 300 75W-90.

Plus for the DIY types it has a nice flexi feed tube for easy filling.

4. Just wondering if it has a drain plug or does it needs to sucked out of the oil filler cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. It has a drain plug, cant miss it

6. Perfect, thanks for the replies! Was at ktec today and they suggested Millers 75w-90. I'll have to shop around, actually looks pretty straight forward to do!

7. I have the 175. Changed my swivel bearing the other day and managed to pull the driveshaft momentarily from the box causing loss of oil.

About a A4 and a bit patch size on my drive. Not the first time I've done this on this car.

So I got the proper oil and set to topping up as time was tight.

With the car perfectly level according to both eye and a spirit level I undid the filler plug. To my surprise oil flowed. I added some fresh but it came straight out. In other words it was full, despite me loosing some.

Do Renault overfill these boxes or what? No history to suggest the box oil has been changed. Other than filling through breather or adding with the car not level, I don't know how they'd over fill it?

8. I constantly experience this. The world is full of people that just aren't as professional as me.

9. Either it's been overfilled as you said, or you were taking a level reading off something that wasn't level.

10. Is the refill plug the wing nut on passenger side near bottom?

11. Yes. The nylon winged nut.

12. Drain plug left. Level plug right. image.jpeg

RS250 likes this.
  13. Correct!

14. dont forget drain plug squash type washer (essential)part: 77 03 062 062
    and filler rubber washer (not essential): 82 00 201 381

RS250 likes this.
  15. Brilliant thanks! Luckily, the sump plug I ordered came with two washers. All changed, gear changes feel better for it and the engine oil looked like it could do with a refresh.

The oil filter was bloody awkward to get at! Tight as well.

Thanks for the help everyone, that's my 250 set for a while now!

16. You use a ramp or crawl under ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Jacked her up onto axle stands, plenty of room underneath just the filter is obstructed by a few pipes.

Attached Files:

18. Cross brace. Also checked in other places.

I'm taking it was overfilled somehow.

19. What's the recommended interval of changing the fluids?

20. For my car their isn't one.
    I lost some when working on the car. However it's pretty degraded.

Doesn't hurt to change it. Most people do it when a clutch is done. Say 100k.
    Mine is all original with 150k on it.

21. Dont mix pil types. Pk4 and nd0 also are one of very picky gearboxes.
    Pk4 being more sensitive.
    The NFP elf is the best oil for it.
    Most of the issues from other oils is hard shifting (slipping in to gear)
    The couse of this is to low of friction in the oil (most common) and not being able to mesh the sinchro gears... As there is to little torque..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thokozani likes this.
  22. Yeah I got elf NFP for the pk4

RS 175 Cup Lux

MilosB likes this.
  23. Nope, clearly says not for PK4 box which is what you have, need nfp stuff

24. service limits

Attached Files:

Rodrigo Aragon likes this.
  25. aaa

aaa

Maybe it's a dumb question but. Same 2.4 L of ELF TRANSELF NFP 75W80 goes into the gearbox of RS 275 CUP?
    Thank you :smile:

26. Correct, NFP 75W80 buy 3lt use around 2.5

27. Has anyone else had the meguires 75/90 stuff in ? KTR used it after my clutch change a few weeks back and it’s stiff to get gears in from cold and when hot other day I got a slight synchro noise on gear change in 6th ? I’m very tempted to put elf back in tbh as I had no issues at all with it before when it was OE elf oil ?

Any thoughts ? Should I wait a bit or just swap it.

28. millers not meguires

29. these box's so fussy, that Millers is top range oil but if box not happy go back to Elf

Rensport225 likes this.
    Rensport225 likes this.
  31. Think the noise going into 6th was a bit of fine adjustment to the zpo shifter, seems to have gone since I did that.

Had Elf nfp oil sat in garage anyway so doing that and oil change tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback

32. Changed the engine oil with Renault 5w40 Castrol GTX RN-SPEC 710 and drained the gearbox of the Millers and replaced with the ELF TRANSELF NFP 75W80.

As soon as I drove away the gearbox seemed to me a lot smoother, as said by Bobsan my gearbox must be fussy lol just like the owner.

Just a note the oil filter was a real bugger to get off, the gearbox oil change was very easy, that's why I did that and my mate who kindly lent me his ramp for 40 mins got the filter lol.

33. Came on man! Not than hard to get out, try with the actual Fiat diesel engines. Opel models fit them too. Holy shit!!:tonguewink::tonguewink:

Rensport225 likes this.
  34. It was just welded on, people seem to tighten the hell out of them when it’s not needed !

To be fair he just cracked on with it whilst I did gearbox, swearing a lot [emoji23] so I left him to it for comic relief

35. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: That´s a friend!!
    To be honest, I use to tight them by hand, but at the next change they are so hard to loosen up.

Rensport225 likes this.
  36. You need to smear the rubber seal with old oil, then tighten by hand makes it so much easier to get off in the future.

manugtt and Rensport225 like this.
  37. Did that this time [emoji1303], sure last owner did to be honest sometimes there just tight as

38. Even tha Ian! I think the rubber become bigger with the block hot. I don´t know.