275 Front Tyre Replacement Time

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by CraigCup-S, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Almost at 10k miles now and my Cup 2’s are getting close to requiring replacing.

Anyone any tips on what to replace them with that compliments the Cup 2’s that I’m considering keeping on the rear (or indeed whether thats a terrible idea)?

I don’t find the Cup 2’s brilliant so wouldn’t be looking to get two new ones on the front, would rather replace all 4 if running different tyres front and back isn’t a great idea.

Budget around £150 per tyre fitted (whether 2 or 4).

2. PS4S they are the replacement the super sports and not as hardcore as a cup 2

3. I’d be inclined not to mix PS4S and Cup2’s on the car because the PS4S have better cold grip than the Cup2s...if you can appreciate the consequences of that :blush:

4. If yours is just a daily driver, i would not be to concerned about having different tyres on the back to the front, unless the cup 2's are really that bad, if you can afford it do all 4

5. I ran ps2's ( front ) and ps4's ( rear ) for a little while. Since replacing the ps2's with ps4's on the front I have definitely noticed the increased traction and ability in the wet.You should be ok running ps2's on the front in the warmer weather though. Payed £130 a tyre btw for 235/40/18's.

6. Wouldn't run cup2's with ps4's, quite a difference in operating temps.

timbo likes this.
  7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Get a pair of PS4S for the rear and stick the Cup2's onto the front to kill them, That was you wont have it trying to swap ends when its cold.

8. IME with Cup2s, they’re terrible in temps under 10C and if it is wet, and even worse if quite worn. I would not mix them...and if, as a last resort, I had to ...they’d be on the back...and I’d drive carefully. On the front, you’re likely to find yourself suddenly running wide on corners/wet roundabouts. The new PS4S is a great tyre that has plenty of grip in all conditions and doesn’t have the PSC2’s well-known weaknesses (cold tyre, cold/wet roads)

9. I switched my Cup 2's out for PS4S all round and have never looked back. The PS4S is such an excellent all round tyre I would struggle to suggest anything else. I wouldn't personally mix them with CUP 2's though. Maybe you can sell the Cup 2's to someone who wants some part worns for a track day to offset the cost of buying 4?

timbo likes this.
  10. Might end up taking this route.
    Four PS4S are a smidgen under £650 fitted through Black Circle, which isn’t bad.

If anyone wants two Cup 2’s give me a PM.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Thats silly, Why leave something that requires heat and is sketchy in the cold and wet on the back. Having it on the front is the far more sensible option. Understeer is a hell of a lot easier for people to manage on the road that snap oversteer....

12. unless
    unless you are Yvan Muller!

13. Best solution...and a good price, it seems.

Yes — that’s standard driving theory, but...

First, I don’t advise mixing the tyres AT ALL!
    Secondly, if you do, you need to drive with great care, and all nannies in place that are, with appropriate thoughts and prayers, hopefully more likely to limit driving inducing oversteer (if fitted to the rear) than understeer (if fitted to the front). But — yes — either is a likely outcome.
    And thirdly, it’s not just the risk of understeer if fitted on the front, it’s braking!

14. The braking point is a valid one. I had PS2's on the rear and PS4's on the front all winter long and even used them on spirited drives. They worked amazingly.

15. Replaced all 4 with PS4’s yesterday.
    High expectations of them.

timbo likes this.
  16. They are good..i have them on mine.
    No more grip then previous supersports though.
    Better in the wet,but not by a huge margin.

Still a excellent all round road tire though.

17. What did you do with part worn Cup 2’s ?

18. Sold two, scrapped two.