250 Front end refresh

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by jack250, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Bit of an update on what parts and prices I got chaps:

Parts purchased from German company PAX Fahrzeugtechnik:

Anti roll bar link (Renault part number: 546180002R)-TRW JTS144 £18.50 each
    Inner track rods (Renault part number: 485215612R)-TRW JAR1030 £15.00 each
    Outer track rods (Renault part number: 485202698R/485203894R)-TRW JTE1150/1151 £25.20 each

Parts purchased from Andrew Page:

Anti rotation link (Renault part number: 543175784R)-TRW JTS563 £37.99 each

Parts purchased from Polish company RoFag (eBay):

Lower arm joints £65.99 each

Parts purchased from RPD:

Top mounts £64.98 each

Made some good savings on the parts, enough to pay a big chunk towards fitting. All parts arrived within 1 week. Great communication with all companies.

Bowen likes this.
  2. Some great prices there! Let us know when those parts are fitted, then we can be shure that they are all right ones :tongueout:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fingers crossed! Fitting on the 28th so will keep the thread updated

4. Bit of an update...

The joints i've ordered are for the upper part of the hub. Not the end of the world as these have never been changed so will get these fitted also.

Bad news is I will need new lower arms as there doesn't seem to be anyone who has changed the the joints in one before. Bumped up the cost just a bit at £260 for NSF/OSF! Ah well.

Parts now being fitted Monday all going well.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I would of be interested to see if someone would attempt to change the ball joints on lower arms, They said the Mk2 couldn't be replaced wither but someone found a replacement joint for it.

Mine are needing done seeing as everything else has been, Ive been putting it off for a while though as its a ballache as id need to get polybushes swapped over

6. I think its not possible to change lower arm joint separately, its totally one piece unit. You can only change upper and lower joint from the hub.

7. Mark Black is doing the work for me, he's saying once the old arm is off he's going to get the ball joint out and work out which part it is. He said it could be a part for a Citroen c5 but doesn't want to play the guessing game with mine.

I'm just in a bit of a predicament now as to what to do with the powerfelx bushes in the new arm? Do I keep the arm OEM or replace for the powerfelx?

8. If you buy new lower arms then defo keep it oem, as long as they worn out again. Let us know about the changing of lower arm joint also..

9. Does anyone want to buy all 4 powerflex lower arm bushes then haha

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Keep us updated then, Im sure the ball joint unscrews from the arm as well

11. Yeah it does Jamie. Just need to figure out the correct part to replace.

Will update as of when chaps.

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

C5 one looks close but the Twingo RS one looks even similar.

Hopefully we can find out what actually fits it, I wouldn't be surprised if its a ball joint used in another Renault model TBF, Similar to the MK2 situation

13. It could be an issue depending on prices for the joint. Upper/lower ball joints for the hub are around £60+ fitting for about £50/60. If prices are similar for the lower arm joint + fitting it could just be cheaper to buy the whole arm at £130ish.

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd doubt it TBH, The ball joint for the Mk2 could be had for around 5 quid. Its just a standard ball joint, Unlike the Hub joints.

15. All on. Car feels superb. All the new parts looked a lot better in manufacturing terms that the Renault stuff. Very happy with it.

Mark didn't take the lower arm joint off while I was there but he's doing it soon so will let me know his findings.

In the past 2 months I've had all new dampers (purchased from a chap on here off his 275 trophy with 16k use). H&R springs then all this gear. Have to say it feels brand new. Looking forward to doing a good drive now.

S4BiT and -Jamie- like this.
  16. Nice :smile:

17. That is some great news !!

18. Also, did you changed the upper ball joints also on the hubs or only the lower ones? I remember that i had one side quite soft when i was moving it while changing lower hub joint. And did you felt much difference while you changed out suspension only? I have to collect some parts to do mine at once.

19. I had the lower ball joints done around 6 months ago.

Yep new upper joints.

My near side damper was knackered so it felt a lot better.

It really does feel like a new car. The steering has a very nice weight to it and is really responsive. Body roll is greatly reduced and everything just seems a lot more robust and solid.

20. I love to hear that, i wish my car feels like new again, its feeling a little loose.

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

How much!

Lets see if Mark Black comes up with a better cost for them!

22. That makes the whole wishbone @ £130 look good value

S4BiT likes this.