250 Front end refresh

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by jack250, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Looking for a bit of advice on what parts, from experience, you would say to change on the front end for a refresh at 70k. Cars off to Anglesey for the first time during my ownership in a few weeks so want it to be solid. I've recently replaced dampers/springs/lower ball joints.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Drop links, Anti rotation links, Track rods, Track rod ends to start, If your feeling flush then new lower arms and potentially top mounts.

jack250 likes this.
  3. Cheers Jamie. I've just had new bushes fitted too so the lower arm should be like new really. Top mounts as in for the suspension?

What about upper ball joints?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ball joints in the arm could have some play in them at that milage, AFAIK its non replaceable so new arm only.

Yes suspension top mounts.

I would of had the upper joints done at the same time TBH.

RS250 and jack250 like this.
  5. Nice one mate, much appreciated.

As i've done ball joints then bushes then suspension all at separate times I just want to do an overhaul, getting a bit tired of being back and forth from the garage.

This is all adding up quite a bit, any advice on where to get the parts? I usually use RPD.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Paul at RPD sorted me out a while back, Was talking to him yesterday, some prices have changed, Some up and some down. Full set of plus is only 36 quid now LOL

Chris Wheeler likes this.
  7. Cheers. Will try a few places and get some quotes.

8. Steering rack bush from track force direct too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not on a MK3

10. I do apologise, didn't realise it was a mk3 till I read the op's username

11. Is there anything obvious that's wrong. Usually tell tale clonks from speedbumps etc give the game away but no need to assume its all knackered, they're pretty tough.

12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Things still wear and have play in them without making noises, Its not until you actually put some fresh parts in that you realise just how tired parts get. Particularly on these cars. They really benefit from a freshen up every couple years IMO. Plus the bits don't cost a lot. Well worth it to get it back to being razor sharp and precise.

jack250 and Korky like this.
  13. What are the TRW parts like? Seem exactly the same as OEM but a lot cheaper

14. What are the TRW parts like? Seem exactly the same as OEM but a lot cheaper

15. No idea why that repeated 3 times

16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What for?

I wouldn't be surprised it the Mk3 is like the MK2 and some parts are genuine only. They are cheap enough from RPD anyway....

17. Everything seems to match the OEM codes by TRW. Spoke to another guy and he said they are exactly the same. Saving quite a bit to be honest over the Renault parts

18. Oli

Oli

The inner and outer arms I recently replaced on mine with genuine Renault parts, the parts are branded TRW. As you say the part numbers match perfectly too, so I reckon they are the same part.

I think the antirotation links and drop links i changed were also branded TRW but I cant remember for sure now!

However i remember when i checked prices most were cheaper buying as TRW but some were actually cheaper from RPD (think it was only the drop links). In the end I went genuine Renault as I wanted to be sure i was getting the OEM part, but now I have seen them with the TRW branding all over them i assume they are the same parts.

jack250 and Korky like this.
  19. As TRW is making OEM parts for our cars i think its smart to buy whats cheaper, if the part no. is the same you can be sure that the part itself is the same also. Im thinking of refurbishing my car a little more also, have done lower ball joint, track rod ends and one anti-rotation link as the other side was new already. But sometimes it feels that it can be much more stiffer and precise, so i think some more parts needs to be changed out.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Lower arm bushes are probably worn, mine felt terrible til I uprated them

21. I'm going for:

Top mounts
    Anti roll bar links
    Anti rotation links
    Inner/outer track rods
    Lower arm joints

Going to price everything up Monday from a couple of places and see what comes out cheapest. Will post up my findings chaps

S4BiT likes this.
  22. Did you use OEM parts or some aftermarket bushes in lower arms? Ive found that the SuperPro can be bought also..

23. I used powerflex all round. Bought the handling kit. It works great in my opinion although I have heard the superpro is better. No complaints with the powerflex though

24. Powerflex are apparently utter shite - a generic kit rather than one built for the car

If you can, send back and replace them mate

25. I don't see how much better Superpro can be actually compared to
    Thats what I've heard before about Powerflex apparently. What about more pricey Superpro, is it point to buy this kit or its enough to install new lower arms with OEM bushes?

26. Best thing to do would be compare both kits. I sent powerflex back after seeing both

I was told by the guys at the ring that powerflex bushes are awful and to avoid

I was also told by someone who has fitted both that they would avoid powerflex over the OEM, and if firmer bushes were wanted, superpro were the ones to go for but they said the OEMs were fine, just likely to wear more quickly

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Superpro in mine and would choose them over any others a year day of the week.

28. Thanks for the answer, as I've looked over my joints in the lower arms and they were stiff and fine, i am thinking of changing only those bushes on those arms, Superpro it is then.

29. I really don't see the issue with powerfelx. Miles better than OEM and help with body control loads more. And are way cheaper than superpro.

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

There's a reason they are cheaper.

31. It's a good upgrade in my opinion. You can go as expensive you want with parts. Look at coilovers, pick up some B14's for £750 or go for KW's for £1300+. The B14's will still be better than standard if you get my drift.

32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

But when the parts are not up to the job and require either regular servicing or replacement the more expensive option is the better one.

Ill post a link later to a thread that has a comparison of the two makes, granted they ain't on a Megane but it was pretty eye opening stuff seeing how poor powerflex stuff stands up

34. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not the video I was looking for, mine was a thread on another forum

35. Well they've been in for a month so will do another thread if they turn out to be shite! You now have me worried about this so nice one chaps haha

Bowen likes this.
  36. Are you using Powerflex Race Series (Black Series) or "ordinary" Purple colored ones on your car? Im wondering is there a quality difference between those two, as Black Series will be much stiffer i can imagine?!

37. Black is pretty much "track only"

38. Im not seeing that much problem in here, when to use "track only" parts on some axle places, only engine mounts and such is too much if using "track only" i think. I think it would be nice and solid on the roads also if using hard bushes between axle and body, there are no worries with the vibration etc.

39. No really, powerflex black is definitely not for the road unless your road is the Nurburgring entrance down to Adenau :wink:

Very stiff and harsh

40. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Tbh most polybushes are to harsh for the road, fresh oem stuff would always be my preference but seeing ad the bushes are not available separately for us I went superpro