Ford Focus Rs mk3

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by kentbloke, Sep 28, 2015.

1. I'm sure that's a very good kit but it only deals with the engine... Running more than factory power usually means cars overheat, break transmissions/drive shafts... I think the engines are holding up ok with tuning but will wait and see for how long...

2. - I know, I'll simply drive my meggy backwards everywhere!
    Then I'll have rwd lol!

3. An RX8 occasionally enters my thought processes. Cheap, a decent 231 bhp with good engine compression, ditch some bulk and you have a very nice handling, light and balanced RWD 9000 rpm track car that isn't your usual trackday plodder.

git-r likes this.
  4. RX8's have nowhere near 231bhp. A good std 231 will have 170-180bhp. Good handling, great brakes, kind on tyres and happy to be abused on track. Did 10 or so track days in mine over two years and not one issue with it.
    Slow as hell in a straight line and out of low speed corners though.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

git-r likes this.
  5. Got to say I really enjoyed driving an RX8 on track. Was years ago and only a very brief taste but was allowed to hammer it.. Was excellent fun :smile:

6. I know Mazda are a bit optimistic. I reckon the best chance is a recent rebuild with some porting. Nice RWD 50/50 weight distribution. Underrated motor.

git-r likes this.
  7. they can also be picked up for stupid low money..my mates just bought a 07 230 for £600.
    It was a trade in..the owner was told the whole exhaust system needed replacing..but on looking it just needs the heat shields fixing,as they were rattling underneath.
    Rotor tips don't last long though and they drink fuel,which probally accounts for super low resale value.

I remember it doing the same time round the top gear test track as a 350z..

8. R26

R26

I'm ever so sorry about that, there's a negative track review floating about that'll make you feel better, maybe someone can link it?

9. Doesn't need to be neg review fella, just one that reveals the facts about the vehicle instead of all prais cause the jurnozz were on group invite and starry eyed with first time drive in US. Give it to Randy at Leguna Seca, I'd take note of that review

10. R26

R26

That's fair enough, I just take each review for what it is. Just opinions after all.

That aside.

Drift mode Y0!

Gavin. and git-r like this.
  11. Interesting find, wonder if was actually in drift mode, if can go that wrong in hands of potential owners, repare shops will be smiling

12. I struggling to understand how trading standards allowed a vehicle like this to ever exist. A vehicle that's designed to loose control (slide) it's tyres on the public highway while its owners 'learn' their drift skill baffles me. While others are touting how grippy and safe their offerings are this lot are advocating putting it in backwards into corners, in the vain hope this activity will be confined only the track.

13. Oh I know I shouldn't have but this made me laugh!!!

All the lemmings will have read the idiot jorno's ramblings about how the 4wd can carry so much more corner speed etc... Think we will see more of these types of accident :worried:

14. Not the only issue trading standards may have - it's advertised as being able to drift - but it can't!

Understand your point though.

15. Just had another couple arrive, we cant enough of em...
    As a warranty admin for Ford I just pray they aren't as fragile as the rest of Fords current line up.
    IMG_3262.JPG

16. Anyone read the new EVO magazines group test of the focus vs Honda type r vs leon cupra 290 vs golf clubsport??
    Interestingly for once,all on the same tyres,so a even playing field for once.

and a surprising conclusion..just incase you havnt seen the test yet..dont want to spoil it..

Nigelo likes this.
  17. Have a link pls?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

18. I bought the actual magazine.
    available from all good newsagents..and tescos!

19. Some v interesting bits in that article!

20. just goes to show,you cant really go wrong with any of the main contenders.All of them are to close to call for the average fast road/odd track day driver.
    I saw a modified astra VXR the other day,and I have to say,it looked pretty mean..really wide and squat.
    I reckon you could pick one of these up for sensible money,and not be to far of the pace.

Nigelo likes this.
  21. Amazingly in that EVO review the oldest car was still vehicle of choice that being Trophy RS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nigelo likes this.
  22. That's the genius of Renault..evolution .
    Starting from 2004 with the 225,improving every model till the Trophy R finale,with basically the same mechanicals.

23. Old git! :tearsofjoy:

Don't forget, a lot more manufacturers make cars that can go over 100mph on the public roads too, some even over 200mph! And some make cars designed to go fast around corners too (you may remember yours?).

Oh won't someone consider the children.......:fearscream::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

24. Honestly I cannot explain how let down I felt driving the rs after my trophy. Felt so pants. Suspension crashy, steering too light, tacky interior and its £37k. Un. Believable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Was it that bad ? What about traction ? I would hope it's got plenty at least.

26. Really??? The suspension is anything but crashy, I thought it was perfectly judged for British roads and its not £37k. Interior styling is a personal thing, but I do find it hard to believe that you thought it was tacky in comparison to a Meganes interior, which is hardly the last word in aesthetics or quality.

27. I was just expecting a lot given the hype and it simply wasn't as good as the Megane to drive in my opinion. The Meg feels instantly satisfying whereas as the focus didn't. I have ohlins on mine so it's exceptionally good, but I understand the standard suspension in the Megane is very compliant, whereas the rebound on the focus rs felt crashy and rather 'cheap' in comparison. It also felt a bit gutless in normal mode and certainly didn't hint at the power it should have. Control weight of the Steering was too light and didn't feel as nice as the Megane. Overall I felt let down as given the hype it should feel amazing!

28. Might all be explained by the fact that it's 1.6 tons.

29. Backed up further by the fact it was slowest round the track in the recent evo group test.
    A similar story when the previous gen RS focus was put up against the R26R in various tests.
    To heavy to keep up.

I remember watching at the time,
    a video of Steve Sutcliffe,alll over a RS Focus on a twisty road in a Clio 200..

30. Evo got the claimed 0-60 time out of it,so it certainly gets off the line fine.
    Unlike the Leon 290,which couldn't get below 6.4!..just wouldn't hook up.

31. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

[​IMG]

Interesting.

32. R26

R26

Very interesting, especially the R8 bit. The part about the car veering seems to be 50/50, you either have it or you don't, interested to see if they work out the cause for those that do.

In other news.
    IMG_1690.JPG
    On E85 with Upgraded Turbo, standard engine. No banana rods here.

33. I just didn't like it. And yes the interior is tacky. The Megane is cleanly designed and simple. The ford has lots going on and the guages are an afterthought on top of the dash and looked shit imo. The suspension rebound is harsh compared to a Megane. I've tinkered in many cars with full on racing suspension and a decent set up does not have that clangly rebound over rough terrain and bumps. Yes it grips well but it's easy to achieve grip on a good road with rock hard suspension but more difficult to obtain compliancy and a good ride whilst maintaining those handling qualities. The ohlins on my trophy are just superb. There's a stretch of road I use regularly with undulating terrain and corners with bumps where every performance car I've ever had has struggled with grip exiting bends due to the bumps. The trophy is unreal it bites it and does not get unsettled at all. I can almost guarantee the focus would struggle. [emoji1316]

34. That's how much my B5 RS4 weighs ! That's pretty heavy

35. All hype!!!

36. No, a review by a friend of a friend whose opinion I trust. He has driven enough cars to see through the hype.

37. The review really doesn't sound believable - all cliche and short on facts. One sentence on drift mode and it says it keeps you out of the undergrowth? Limiter in 2nd doesn't see 60?

Just seems like an exercise in writing rather than driving.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk