250 Flywheel

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by EAndy, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Question.

Need to replace my flywheel as getting vibration through the car / as revs rise etc, anyway should I stick with Dual Mass Flywheel (need to find part number and see whats out there as well).

Or should I go Single Mass Flywheel I see quite a few companies in UK and abroad do SMF kits.

Has anyone replaced there flywheel and if so what route did you take and was it OEM or aftermarket part.

Cheers.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have an SMF in mine, personally wouldn't do it again if I had the choice, the cons far outweigh the pros tbh

3. Speak to CGR about TTV and finding a decent clutch and flywheel setup that doesn't end up being "race car"

4. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

i've just gone TTV SMF, Clutch and new slave. really nice upgrade, car feels the same bar a much more aggressive clamp. Rev raise and fall is hardly noticeable.

worthwhile change on a Mk2.

5. Think Andy has a mk3? CGR are looking to develop a kit

6. Yep mine is a RS250.

Basically took car yesterday to give it a test on 1/4 mile as hadn't officially done it bar VBOX and various. I didn't even boot the car for a launch as it was first run and just getting a feel for the surface. My 60ft time was woeful to show this as well.

Next to none wheel spin, and I registered a 13.579 time at 108.64mph. So was pleased with the terminals.

Was then I realised on the lift off in particular the car shaking and vibrating (should mention nothing comes through the clutch pedal).

The engine doesn't seem to be moving anymore than normal as was hoping it was perhaps a mount although I didn't change and fit an uprated one at the start of the year.

Whilst the car is idling you can feel the vibration and as previously said as you rev car vibration gets worse through throttle pedal and in particular the floor pan of the car. However on the move under load when the engine lifts a fraction all vibration disappears 'completely' till you then lift off and get shaken around again.

I limped / drove it home and as got nearer the house gave it the odd blip and in terms of driving the car is as it was before spot on bar this vibration.

So I just need to firstly make sure it's definitely the flywheel so will this week try and have a proper look and see if I can spot anything not right.

I think then I'll stick with DMF however can't find anywhere on the net that lists them so will ring Renault tomorrow, everyone seems to go the SMF route although as mentioned on here and everywhere else I keep looking the con's outweigh the pro's.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You sure its DMF, That sounds awfully similar to the gearbox mount bolt snapping especially as you say it happened after a launch

8. My car has shakes/vibrations when revs are in idle. My mechanic said it could be the DMF, but when I raise my revs from 750 to 800 (even when I open my air condition), the motor is as smooth as new. At first, thought it was the mounts and changed three of them (they were torn and tired), but even after exchanging them, the vibration still occur when the car is idle.
    I noticed that the boost gauge shows me non vacuum when lifting off the throttle, so I'm not sure if I have a DMF issue or just a "vacuum leakage"

9. Hi did u end up changing the DMF? If so did it have an effect?