Favour to ask - those with the Megane 3 RS Monitor

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by -Chris-, Aug 28, 2016.

1. This is for the benefit of all RS250 owners on here without the RS Monitor fitted but would like to retro fit one.

We have had confirmation that the earlier units are plug and play. Having got the part no and having spoken with Renault they informed me that the part no has been superseded. However, they couldn't confirm that the new part had the same RS Monitor functions. Could I ask you to take no more than 10 mins to check your RS Monitor part no to see if you have the superseded part no.

It's pretty simple to do. The plastic trim surrounding the display unit is held in with some metal spring clips. Using a plastic trim tool or similar the trim just pops out, taking no more than 20 seconds if that. It simply clips back in place when done.

The part no is on a large sticker on the unit.

The number I'm looking for in particular is 280345867R.

If you have it, could you post your year and model (i.e. 2011 250, 265 etc).

Grateful for your assistance with this. If I can determine that a 250 (or 265) has this part fitted and it is indeed an RS Monitor then I will take punt and order one myself to test the theory. It's a special order from France so non returnable. At £200 + vat I'd like to reduce the risk of buying what I already have if I can.

Cheers in advance.

RS250 likes this.
  2. Second this thread.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

3. Third it!

4. Do you have a diagram of where the clips are?

Nigelo likes this.
  5. Hope this gives a clear(ish) idea..

[​IMG]

richmillions likes this.
  6. Bump.

Anyone. Please ?

7. If no one done this by end of week I will pull one of when Tuesday and get back to you.

Nigelo likes this.
  8. Cheers pal

Nigelo likes this.
  9. Will take a look at mine on Sunday for you!

-Chris- and Nigelo like this.
  10. Appreciated! :laughing:

11. [​IMG]

I think its the right picture from my previous Megs RS-monitor product code, as i sold most of the parts and took some pictures before. Then i didnt know it can be plug & play so i gave it away cheap.

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk

Nigelo likes this.
  12. Cheers pal. That's the unit the the part no listed in my first post supposedly supersedes. Yours is tried and tested. The new one isn't. Yet.

13. Just to throw something else into the mix;

We know 280340023R is plug and play but discontinued.

Then everyone is looking for 280345867R which is the replacement but not sure if works yet. Just as a heads up 280347874R also falls into this category.

For reference the 280345867R is blue back lit and 280347874R is orange back lit but identical boards inside so if one works the other will.

I'm going to order a orange back lit one from here as its a damn site cheaper than the blue one at £104.47 and test it out. http://www.renaultgenuineparts.com/renault-280347874r-afficheur-multime/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Nigelo likes this.
  14. Awesome. I'm intrigued to hear the results

Nigelo likes this.
  15. Oli

Oli

i'll check the part number on mine tomorrow

16. If that works I'll have one ordered up and the soldering iron out for a wee led swap! Good call!

17. Can't add a picture but mine is exactly the same number as S4Bit.

-Chris- likes this.
  18. Are you not breaking your 250. Or is that another one?

Dibs on the monitor if you are....

19. I am mate, but had someone message me about the monitor yesterday sorry

20. Ah, bugger. I thought to ask a while back but assumed it had already gone.

Never mind. Twos up if it falls through though.

21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

[​IMG]

This is mine

22. Thats the standard unit isnt it, thats what i took out of mine.

23. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nope thats what i have in mine as the RS Monitor. I literally took it out to take that photo earlier when i was cleaning it.

24. That's what I have in mine. Mine isn't an RS Monitor

25. The plot thickens!

26. Doesn't it just. Ffs!

27. It's a shame that clip is such a git to use as we could be looking at a simple option 'tick'. Anyone got any contacts in Renault's tech divisions?

28. I spoke with a tech at Renault today on the phone regarding this and I got told in effect the following;

The is only really one version of the monitor from those codes we have above the V1 and the V2 as it's called here.

However and you can see it on some of the photos the 'soft' version and numbers differ this is because effectively the V2 one is basically 'virgin' 'blank' etc. It needs to be coded / set up to the car via clip and then will work.

In CLIP you have to go to the multimedia ECU, programming mode, and click on the configuration, then you select I think he said something like CF001 which then writes across the data to the RS Monitor then you tick a box to do with the radio settings in CLIP and it works.

Obviously to this date still no-one has tried this monitor to be able to prove or disprove this but in short from what I gathered still, the first one is simply plug and play, the second on needs setting up via CLIP.

Now I would assume if you got a 2nd hand one from a Megane then in theory it's already pre-loaded the information to the monitor and therefore 'should' work.

So if you have no monitor but a mate with a 265 and plugged it in and it worked, you might find if you go buy one from Renault it won't for the reasoning above.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Nigelo likes this.
  29. @Eddie_ Is this Clip programming something you guys can do?

Eddie_ likes this.
  30. Going to order up one and see what happens.... this one is our best guess? 280345867R

31. Guys unlikely I know but some people didn't realise and just making sure it wasn't the same issue as some on the other thread.

2 people stated the same numbers, 1 changed and retro-fitted to the different plug and play number and the other stated his worked fine as RS Monitor.

When you start car if it displays 'Renaultsport' but goes to radio, you can simply hold for few seconds the 2 buttons at the top of the radio stalk and it'll display the disclaimer and then display the RS Monitor features.

Some people who have bought used 2nd hand cars, have wrongly assumed they have no RS Monitor when they have it's just when the batteries been flat / replaced its reset it and you simply just need to activate it back on.

I've been testing out bits with my Megane which has the GPS set up (TomTom) so it's a different loom. Its a bit of a pain as on the normal RS Monitors you have to cut the blocks a bit as they won't connect otherwise and clip in, then when returning you get a radio lock which with the TomTom you have no-where to enter code but it GPS resets through a sequence.

Anyway I've managed to get at present a radio to work changing a few bits and a RS Monitor arriving tomorrow. However in the mean time I've test fitted a RS265 monitor (RLink) and so far got to the stage of having it all working / touch screen etc bluetooth working on it, handsfree, but not getting an information display from the ECU so need to keep investigating. I'm now almost certain that it is possible to retro fit the RS265 RS Monitor 2.0 to any RS250 with the TomTom display screen.

I am however, not sure the normal slim RS Monitor originally for the RS250 will be that easy (not plug and play anyway)

32. If you're not getting the ECU data it is most likely that the Powertrain CAN connection is not present, or potentially CANH and CANL are the wrong way round.

33. really interested to see how this goes, i know mins is non monitor as it's just 'Renault' on the display.

I'm now really confused, my number matches Jamie's but has no RS, not even the 'RenaultSport' when i turn it on.

roDJQO0.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  34. Slight side note Interesting enough you can run the TomTom and RS Monitor together at same time.

Something people said couldn't be done

Nigelo likes this.
  35. How the fap do you get the white unit out of the main surround?!? Currently fitting mine.

36. Got the #&&£&£& out!

37. So....

After open the best packaged item I have ever received ( Thanks @EAndy !) I had 30 mins free there to give installation a go!

Used a trim prise tool to lift up the edge around the surround on top of the dash, the surround flexing worryingly, but didn't break even with the force needed. Unclip the plug - easy.

The next bit required a bit of headscratching - how to get the white unit out of all the plastic holding it in place. Eventually realised that there where 2 rectangular push-in clips easily accessible on one side, but matched with 2 very hard to see clips on the other side. The 2nd clips couldnt be pushed in like the other side, but have a little plastic 'spike' on top that can be pulled towards the unit to release the clip (need to slip a cut off piece of old loyalty card in to prevent the clip from returning back) and then i was able to wiggle it out.

And then....

20160914_202555.jpg

IT LIVES!!!

Jonny157 and S4BiT like this.
  38. Glad it arrived safe and sound :smile:

Nigelo likes this.
  39. Hi guys, I am very confused!
    I have just bought a 265 cup s with the tomtom sat nav. Should I have the rs monitor on mine?.??.

40. Nigelo, can you PM or reply to me with which code RS monitor you used an/or which one will work?
    Is it simply plug in and start car and the data will display?

Also a question for one of the lads further up, the RS250 I have just bought has alot of options on it and read about the battery, is there an Option to turn it back on or is CLIP required?

Cheers Lads