Do it all tyre

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by VW TT, Jul 31, 2017.

1. hi, so I have no storage space for spare wheels and tyre. I'm about to order new wheels and need a do it all tyre. Dry, wet, summer, winter, road, track.

I have PS4's at the moment and they are very good. Anything better? Had one suggestion of AD08R. And a wheel company suggesting R888R.

Any opinions would be a big help. Thanks.

Oh and what size tyre on a 18x8 et48 wheel? Will be on a lowered car.

Thanks.

2. AD08R is fantastic, I have them. Only issue is in 19's they are not load rated, not sure in your size but you'll need to check.

I'm changing to Pilot Cup 2's next so they are load rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VW TT likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

AD08Rs are what I'd suggest. I use them as road/wet TD and Ring trip tyres if I can't be bothered taking my track wheels

VW TT likes this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd be going 225s as well, I have 235 on the back of mine on a 8j and they are a little wide for the rim tbh

VW TT likes this.
  5. Thanks everyone for the help.

So AD08R tyres seems to be the answer. 225 40 18 ?? Is that right?

6. Pretty cheap from camskill too in that size

VW TT likes this.
  7. AD08R isn't necessarily the answer. There's no 'do it all tyre'.

Just confirm where your tyre spends most of its time and what compromises you are happy to accept in the areas where the tyre doesn't perform so well.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Depends if your happy with a tyre being a little wider than ideal, If not stick with 225's, If anything they will be a bit better than a 235 due to not having the sidewall "ballooning" as such.

Guy on eBay is cheap as well, IIRC around £110 a tyre. Bank of ebay.

9. Don't ignore a more conventional high end sports road tyre that will do a better job in the wet, winter etc particularly if you do more road than track.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  10. I think the PS4 is a winner mate. I've had mine now for 6 months and cannot fault them. Plus just won the evo tyre kf the year

Alex_6n2 likes this.
  11. What load ratings are recommended for meganes?

12. I was going to say this ^.

What's wrong with your tyres now that you feel you could improve, given all the driving conditions you've listed? You might already have what you need.

jack250 likes this.
  13. No nothing wrong at all with the PS4. Hard to criticise them. Just wondered if there was an even better option out there before I spend on a new set of them.

14. NJH

NJH

I have 235 wide AD08R on at the moment, yeah they bulge a little compared to the PS2 or PS4 but so what. I raced on 225x50-16 and 245x45-16 tyres on 8" rims, the 245s bulged but were well known and understood to give a bit more grip (all the lap records I know of for that car done on the 245s), car just moves around a bit more on the wider tyres.

Have only driven on them once thus far in the rain but to be honest I was surprised how nailed down the car felt cross country on greasy wet roads, much better than I was expecting and more than good enough. In the dry they have more grip than you can use on the road, there only getting going at the same point the Michelins chirp or start squealing, bonkers stuff really. Can't wait to get em on track but I wouldn't have fitted em if I wasn't tracking the car, the Michelins are pretty much the perfect road tyre.

15. PS4 best all rounder but will give up after couple laps on track as are operating outside design window, AD08's better dry grip but deffo not the all rounder PS4 Is on road and that inc winter where Yoko fall down by good margins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VW TT likes this.
  16. There's only one tyre slightly better all rounder and that's PS4s but only 19" or over for moment

VW TT likes this.
  17. That brings me nicely to my new decision which is should I step up to 19". Would be all for the looks. Is there a downside other than cost (wheel and tyre)?

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No. Heavier, more expensive.

If anything, Go smaller. Im now on 17's for track.

VW TT likes this.
  19. Larger wheels for looks, small for performance and now you must choose

VW TT likes this.
  20. Great advise as always on the forum. Genuinely a great place for info on something that is THE most important part on the car...tyres.

VW TT likes this.
  21. I believe your next question will be about 'best brake pads to use'

22. So last question. I think these are my options from what's been said. Which should I go for? Will the 9" create issues with clearance and how does it affect handling/grip?

18x8 et48

18x8 et35

18x9 et55

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  23. None of them. Keep your standard wheels.

24. All of them could, in theory, have a negative affect on performance, as they are outside what Renault specced for the car. In reality, none of us are really fine-tuned enough in our skills to really notice the difference in the real world, so probably just go for the ones you like the best. The wider they are, the more likely they are to tram-line on the road, so I probably wouldn't go too wide for a road car if you drive on uneven surfaces a lot.

25. All of those wheel choices are narrower apart from the 19's than standard and with some big variations in ET from the standard ET65. Makes you also wonder if they are even on a 66.1 centre bore or need spigot rings. What price for looks?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Out of them I'd go 18x9 ET55, that's what spec my OZs are on the front. Means you can run a wider front if you ever wanted to.

If your wanting to stick with stock tyre sizes then the ET48 is what I'd pick out the two 8js.

Fwiw my new track rims are 17x9 ET45 but I'm running a good bit of camber which is needed for clearance.

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Fronts are 9 ET55 and the rears are 8 ET45.

Black ones were 8 ET38

None of the new rims yet but just look for photos of any of the Raeder spec ones running ATS [​IMG][​IMG]

VW TT, ting_tong and sunnylunn like this.
  28. That's the point, it's a small price in reality.

Car looks ace on both sets!

29. Great thanks everyone.

And thanks Jamie for the photos. Your car looks amazing. You said the black wheels you have are 8" et38, but from my list you'd go for et48 if buying 8", and not the et35 which is almost identical to your set. Do yours cause issues?

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I had no issues with rubbing or clearance but the geo helps with clearance. They wern't ideal fitment but they done me until I got something a bit more suitable.

VW TT likes this.
  31. Great. Thanks Jamie.

32. NJH

NJH

Well we had a downpour at Thruxton before lunchtime, ended up properly wet. I decided to stay out and drive round to get a feel for this car on track in the wet on the AD08R tyres (and to re-build my wet lapping confidence but that is a different story). Gradually my confidence grew and I was surprised how surefooted the car was. I think I was one of 3 crazy enough to stay out in those conditions, lights on full and wipers on fastest speed, standing water everywhere. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have the thought of going racing again in the back of my mind. I wouldn't say these are great in the wet but most importantly they are predictable, start to break away in a very linear easy to feel fashion and I didn't once feel any aquaplaning. After that experience I wouldn't be remotely worried about driving on these on the road in the rain.

My only concern is after one track day I am down to 5mm from the original 8 so I am hoping the next 3mm lasts longer.

33. It was a real shame as i would have joined you in the wet but on my 595's :laughing:

NJH likes this.
  34. NJH

NJH

We did have fun though when your car was healthy, overtaking pretty much everything out there. Will be awesome mate to do more sessions like that.

I did remember a negative, my car understeers more than it used to on corner exits, and mostly in high speed corners. I believe this is due to the Michelins having the thick central bands which gives very good directional stability and steering response. I noted that on these tyres the car has a slight vagueness on the straight ahead, a trait you often get with track tyres designed more for high lateral loads. I don't have a problem with this trait though and rather than attempt to put more -ve camber on the front I will use it as a training aid for the simple reason that any tyre scrub on corner exit slows the car significantly. Its the famous Rob Wilson flat car mantra that he trains into top flight pro racing drivers. Tony Maryon gave me a couple of pointers at Thruxton to drive round it (and get a 'flatter' car), just involves having a slightly looping corner entry to a very late apex such that the steering can be opened out earlier on the exit, practised it by following a racer he was coaching in another car up front.

ianplymouth likes this.
  35. I'm just running some A048R and they are not too bad tbf. Sort of does a wide range of stuff but nothing exceptional in key areas. A good summer combined road and track tyre.

36. I have pilot sport cup 2's on mine. Excellent in the dry and while you have to be careful in the wet, they're still perfectly useable. I don't see it is an issue as common sense denotes that you wouldn't drive as hard in the wet anyway unless you have a death wish, so I feel it's a good compromise!

VW TT likes this.
  37. I'm also running a set of these in 18 inch and as a road tyre you have to really want the dry grip to go for them just as a daily.

Where they really work is as a combined one shop road and track tyre. Nice with some heat in them and solid sidewalls that work well if you're not running any neg camber.

38. I find them perfectly useable from a normal temperature on the road. It's not like you are driving it as hard as on track and I find they get plenty of warmth in them during a spirited drive which provides more than enough grip for (verging on) sensible road driving. They're excellent. There's a reason they are fitted to road going 'occasional track' day cars from the factory.

The turn in is much improved over a MP supersport too.

The PS2's that were fitted to my Trophy as standard were a pretty good overall tyre to be fair, but any of the above including the MPSS just give way after a few laps on track. I know this because I've tried it. My MPSS were pants at Bedford after a couple of laps they just aren't thought enough. I was livid I didn't have the cup 2's fitted. What car do you run yours on?

39. I run Cup2s year round on the meg. Great tyre.

40. No one mentions nsr2s. I have a mate who swears by ado8s and I keep seeing great reviews for ps4s but the nsr2s were significantly cheaper than both. They were great at Bedford.
    Are they more of a track tyre than all rounder?