Cooksport springs..more body roll.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by andrewjeffs, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Not liking these cooksport springs much to be honest.
    Car looks so much nicer lowered,but the cooksports do not have the progressive nature of the standard R26 eibachs.
    The car will crash into the bumpstops when hitting bumps at speed,which the eibachs never did.

Rides to stiff,with the added bonus of added body roll.Which just seems bizarre, seeing as you would expect the stiffer nature to reduce body roll.

Quite unnerving when switching from lock to lock at high speed.
    Over a smooth road its exceptable,but add a typical pot holed british
    B road,and you have to be carefull.

Took the car out tnite for a B road blast,and while the cars ability is still stunning,The unbalanced damping removes some of the confidence in the chassis.

Annoying,as i have just put them on ,with new everything ,steering/suspension wise!

2. Why did you buy cocksports if you were already running aftermarket springs?

3. NJH

NJH

If you have new dampers then most of the crashy feel is the harshness of new R26 dampers. It will soften off a bit after a couple K miles. Still though I agree that Cooksport spring or for that matter any uprated spring is not matched well to the dampers as IMHO the original R26 Eibach springs and R26 dampers are perfectly matched.

Roll is definitely lower, I have driven on both setups back to back at Thruxton so can't comprehend what you mean there. The car is definitely quicker on track on Cooksports but the balance is more neutral to understeer than stock so not quite as enjoyable to drive OTOH I found the standard setup a little too lively on track. Braking on any kind of angle for example was properly scary making trail braking a no no but on the Cooksports one can drive the car properly aggressively attacking the corners and the exits with brakes and throttle. Not a great partner to AD08R tyres though, mine understeers way too much now in fast corners but was fine on Michelin tyres.

Overall I could never recommend lowering springs on a road driven R26 because the standard setup is such a brilliant compromise. If my car never saw the track I would put it back to the stock springs, but alas it might well see much more track action and I found these springs made for a compelling road and track car.

4. Daz

Daz

Sounds like you would prefer the H&R's to me. Although in my eyes they sit right in the first place.

5. eibachs are factory standard on R26 mate.

6. I cant understand this excessive bodyroll as well,unless something else is wrong.
    I have all brand new droplinks on the front,so unless the anti roll bar bushes are getting weak,i dont get it either.
    Does the rear have anti roll bar bushes?

On smooth sections of road,the cooksports are fine.
    but hitting undulations and broken roads at higher speeds ,makes the car hit the bumpstops.
    Inspires no confidence,and ruins the flow when pushing on.

Like you say,,just goes to show how great the standard set up is.
    But why renault insist on huge arch gap,and massively high offset,i dont know.

7. NJH

NJH

Something else must be wrong mate. Mine is absolutely solid and tight as a nut to drive, its one of the most confidence inspiring setups I have driven just a bit too jiggly or harsh for a DD (although still wayy softer than my mates Gallardo LP560-4 was).