Coilovers spring rates

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Danny Danger, Sep 5, 2018.

1. What spring rates are youse running. Looking at the bc racing coilovers
    • 7kg / 4kg Spring Set *Standard*
    • 7kg / 7kg Spring Set
    • 8kg / 4kg Spring Set
    • 8kg / 7kg Spring Set
    • 10kg / 7kg Spring Set
    I presume harder rates, better on track but back breaking on the road. Car isn't a track car but maybe in the future might see some along with ring trips.

2. I'm running 8kg/7kg. Very stiff, bordering on uncomfortable on the road. I'm still getting used to them tho as they've not long been fitted. Mine are the DS series. The handling is excellent tho!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

3. That's why I thought I'd ask. I don't want them back breaking but with it being a weekend car the rates could be slightly stiffer.

4. I think most people opt for the 7/4 set up for that reason.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd go 8/4 or 8/7 if it's not used heavily on track. Stiff enough to perform but not overly stiff for the road.

I'm on 10/10 currently on the 2 ways but it was far nicer on road on the one way ASTs with 8s all round.

ASTs run full rear coil so effective rate is slightly less

6. How do you find the handling on track with the 10/10 compared to the 8/8 and what differences in the handling have you noticed between the two?

Been running 11/8 on my 5100 with double digressive pistons for the last 6 months and happy with the track handling, but can get bumpy at low speed on road.

7. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Havnt been able to test as my clutch slave failed on the last day. However it wouldn't be a fair comparison anyway as its now on 2 way competition spec ASTs that are valved differently anyway