250 Check airbag light

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Charlie Howard, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

This morning my check airbag light came on, I'm pretty sure it's one of the connectors under the seat coming loose as I was messing around with the speakers yesterday and had the seat all the way back. None of them looks loose though so does anyone know what connector is the airbag?

2. I have this on my 250 and haven’t yet got to the bottom of it.
    I did get it on the scanner which came up as drivers side door crash sensor fault which the garage said is probably a lose wire in the door.
    If you’ve been messing with the speakers then you’ve maybe knocked a wire lose?

3. Charlie Howard

Ah, I was just assuming it was a wire under the seat, I didn't know there were crash sensors in the door. I will have to take the door cards off again and have a look. What do the sensors look like?

4. Charlie Howard

I've plugged my scanner in but it gave no faults which is very helpful. Meaning I don't know what airbag is causing it.

5. Charlie Howard

I found one on eBay so I have an idea of what they look like. Don't remember seeing something like that though.

6. Charlie Howard

This is the only photo I have of the inside of the door. Don't anything that looks like the sensor.
    6zFqYN7.jpg

7. I’ve had my door card off today and it’s a pig to get to. It’s right under the door lock pushed up right against the door body and in typical Renault fashion they’ve put the bolt securing it to its mounting bracket on the opposite side of the sensor

I couldn’t quite work out how to get it off as the bolt looks impossible to get to so I put it all back together until I get a new sensor.

Also while removing the door card most of the sh*ty clips broke so need to get a few new replacements.

It’s no wonder mechanics hate these cars. The French really are backwards.

8. 6F7CE203-C8B3-4BA8-A2B5-E67A8F5E53F8.jpeg It’s basically about there as per the arrow in the pic

9. My air bag light keeps going on and off whilst driving and I have a rattle coming from behind that door card,

Luckily it’s under warranty so will be going in Monday for Renault to mis diagnose a few times, I’ll update on the out come

10. Charlie Howard

How do I get to the sensor then if it's inside the door? I doubt I would have knocked that cable off.

11. Charlie Howard

It's also saying steering not locked, not sure if that is a new development or if it's always said that and I've just ignored it because of the airbag.

12. Yes mines the same. I assume it’s all linked.
    You really need to get it on a decent scanner to give you an idea of which area needs looking at

13. Charlie Howard

I saw a post saying someone put the seat into the position as if they were letting someone into the back seats and it fixed it. Will try it on the way home, I really can't be bothered taking it to a garage but it's not very helpful that my scanner doesn't find faults.

14. Charlie Howard

Also noticed the car takes a little longer to start like it's trying to sort the airbag out when I press the button. There's a second where it does nothing and then cranks.

15. You need to get it on a decent scanner. Those cheap ones don’t always find SRS codes.
    Mines been on/off today since i played about with the sensor and wiring in they door yesterday.

16. Charlie Howard

I don't have time to mess around with anything today but will probably look on Tuesday when I'm off. Might have a look in Halfords for a scanner. Any you suggest? Is it worth just getting a CLIP?

17. Icarsoft i907 reads the airbag codes, the cheaper scanners don’t.

18. Charlie Howard

I may as well get a CLIP for that much?

19. might have something for you....there's is a micro switch thats attached under drivers seat (left front corner) its job is to slide to end of rail when flipping seat forward and deactivate air bag so ECU doesn't think vehicles in accident. if that's failing it'll cut the bag circuit and give warning if start to drive

Cazper likes this.
  20. Charlie Howard

21. yep

22. Charlie Howard

Where is supposed to be?

23. attached to seat runner

24. Charlie Howard

Got a picture?

25. dont think so, look for two black wires, that switch also has a resistor in it and ECU need to see that. think weve just sorted your problem

26. Charlie Howard

The cables are attached but it's just laying on the floor of the car. Need to a see a picture to know where it goes really. Don't see anywhere obvious.

27. Charlie Howard

Well I found where it goes and fitted it back on. When the seat is in the driving position it isn't pressed, so just like it wouldn't be laying on the floor. It hasn't solved the issue even after moving the seat a few times.

28. when buy new switch (as that one has disintegrated) might have clip so can see how clamps onto seat and when full forward butts up to something on rail and activates the micro switch

29. think about now maybe switch is fixed to rail and seat runner touches upto it when forward

30. Charlie Howard

I don't think the switch is broken though, it's now fixed back on and when you move the seat forward it clicks on the rubber runner. Just hasn't solved the issue.

31. disconnect battery for ten mins and reconnect

32. Charlie Howard

That didn't work!

33. That micro switch won’t bring up the airbag light.

I went to a local car sales garage who had a scanner and they changed me £20 to use it, I then took photos of the code.

34. No it isn’t, it’s there to tell the car if the driver has the seat positioned too close to the Steering wheel so not to deploy the airbag in an accident. It also wouldn’t ping up the dash light if it broke loose.

35. Yes correct that is it’s function and no not if it’s loose (mine lives loose on car floor), it will ping the dash light though if it’s broken as it has a resistor that needed to be in same circuit as air bag

36. Yes if it’s loose it won’t ping up the light but if if the wires are broken then yes it probably will

37. Charlie Howard

I don't think the wire is damaged, from what I could see it wasn't. I would cut off all the connectors and solder them but there are loads under the seat. Going to take the door cards off on Tuesday and wiggle the connections there. It only happened after I changed the speakers. It could be a coincidence but seems unlikely.

38. Just an update. I replaced the crash sensor in the door and problem solved.

39. Charlie Howard

I turned off the passenger airbags today and it still says check airbags so I assume it's either something under the drivers seat or drivers door. I did take the door card off again and couldn't even see the crash sensor.

40. Have you had it on a scanner yet? That will give you a general idea of where the problem is otherwise you could be chasing you tail with it.

The door crash sensor is located inside the door beneath the lock. The screws near the lock secure it.