Cheap tyres - good tyres. Much difference on the road??

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Mark B, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I've always used good tyres on my cars. Michelin / Conti / f1 assys etc. Now - My R26 came with Winruns on the front and Autogrips on the back.
    I've been looking at tyres since I bought the car in January but - it drives so well I'm reluctant to drop £500 just because I think I should! It grips rides and handles as well as any car I've had.

Has anyone gone from cheap / chinese tyres to really good ROAD tyres on their Megane??
    Was there much difference?
    I don't go on trackdays but I enjoy the great roads in Devon & Cornwall.
    Any first hand input would be appreciated.

2. I work in a garage that sells tyres, and have witnessed many an 'old shed' have a set of winruns, autogrips or any other 'budget' tyre fitted to it.

I can assure you they are all crap! And have no place fitted to you're R26!

Get some decent rubber on there mate and you'll notice the difference for sure.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Mikey4410 likes this.
  3. Why do you think they call them "Ditch finders" ?

4. I have from cars in the past. In the dry the cheap tyres seen to be ok under normal driving conditions. In the wet I'd always be a bit unsure.

Having good branded tyres gives confidence in the wet and you know in the back of your mind you're more likely to be safe (traction, stopping distances).

You don't have to stretch out to the top of the line Conti's or Michelin's etc but perhaps a set of branded and well rated tyres would be better than your current setup.

Mikey4410 likes this.
  5. Don't get me wrong I hope I'm not coming across as a cheapskate! I thought these tyres would be hopeless but they're not. The R26 must be really good on decent rubber! I was going to go for uniroyal rs3's but reviews are mixed. Might go for some ps4s from camskill

6. When i bought my Megane it had 3 illegal tyres, i put some cheap (£50 each) tyres on to use for a month or so and
    to get it through the MOT, i was very surprised how well they were when a group of us had a very spirited drive around the back roads of Cornwall, i did take them off and fitted NS2r's but they are still in the workshop ready to go back on :laughing:

7. Mark
    Uniroyal 3's are epic in the wet, i have done a track day on them and will do again, in the dry they do over heat on track but i think you will struggle to really abuse them on the road, give them a go they are worth it :sunglasses:

8. I was concerned about the rs3 not being very responsive in the dry. Reviews vary so much.

9. They are good in the dry on the road, dry track work is too much for them, in the wet you will never use anything else again:laughing:

10. Chinese Ditch Seeking Missiles

11. They feel fine to me hence the topic. I read an Australian tyre test online that had them less than 10% off the times of a ps4 / conti sport 6!
    I think the ditchfinder motto has been exaggerated over the years tbh.
    I'm still changing them though now the weather is getting colder.

ianplymouth likes this.
  12. I had autogrip tyres on my mk3 when I bought it and I've just fitted Michelins due to everyone hyping on about how good they are! Verdict?..although I like to think they're better and I've not wasted my money, in reality I can't tell any real difference even when pushing it. You'd have to be driving like an idiot on the road to tell any difference.

ianplymouth likes this.
  13. I had these on a little Merc I purchased to go behind the motorhome. That well known make "Happygallop" seemed to drive ok but probably total shite. Gave the car back a few days later to change for another. Probably best to get some good quality tyres....might save your life one day.
    20170701_095922.jpg

14. Still got Rapid p609 budgets on mine nearly two years after I bought it. I'll get some better tyres when I change but they are performing fine on the road, so reluctant to ditch new tyres. Even the first day I got it, being used to low sportscars, the speed caught me out approaching a roundabout on a wet road and I had that "...oh crap" feeling and didn't think I'd stop but car pulled up fine, and I was very surprised by the tyre performance given they cost less than my MTB tyres!! I am hoping they wear out quick but it doesn't look like it. Cambelt before new tyres for me though.

15. interesting reading if this helps
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Winrun/R330.htm

I guess I must be a bit of a tyre snob. there is no way on earth I will put anything but the best available on my motorbike...I guess I use that view/mentality on the car as well (probably wasting a lot of money as well)

Jonny157 likes this.
  16. Im a tyre snob aswell! Ive always fitted good tyres - sometimes its the first thing i do. Those winruns get quite good reviews though dont they?
    Ive held back from ploughing money into this car as i did that on my clio and lost loads when i suddenly decided to sell.
    New tyres next month when im back from holiday.

17. Just replaced all 6 tyres on the motorhome. They are massive compared to car tyres. Hardly used but some minor cracking on the sidewalls. Top of the range michelin....ouch. don't want to be one of those guys at the side of the road with a blowout. Had to be done.

18. Years ago we never used to worry in the slightest what tyes where on the hot hatches of the day.
    I has a mk1 xr2 with 3 different brands on it,including remoulds!

And yet i never had a accident,or remembered wayward handling.
    My van had chinese tyres on it,and again i never once thought`fk these are dangerous`

But in saying that i never fit anything but the very best to my R26.

The biggest difference is defiantly wet grip between cheap and premium.
    Your stopping distance will also be massively increased.

It is amazing how many people you see with family cars on chinese tyres, with woman driving.
    I would never put cheap tyres on my family car.

19. True, our family Kuga has Conti sc5s. I do the school run and the number of mpv's with bald tyres let alone cheap ones is astonishing. All driven badly aswell!
    We've been saving for a holiday so any spending on 'the car' has been frowned upon...

20. On the x5m they are 350 a corner. I don't think I can get cheap tyres even if I wanted to...deep joy

21. yep i have seen woman rolling in with mpv`s packed with kids ,with fkn tyres down to the canvas!

22. Why do the chinese insist on these ridiculous names for tyres?..Landsale,goodride,linglong,happygalop.
    My mates crappy leon he bought for a donar engine for his mk2 golf ,came with tyres that just had a email address on the side!

23. for me the problem with these cheaper tyres is they are an unknown quality. some may be very good but some may be awful...you just dont know. and how consistent is their build quality. I tend to steer clear of anything with a dodgy name. but I am happy with Nankai and Toyo which a few years ago i would not have considered

24. Maybe some sort of poll for tyres that are popular on here should be created whereby we can all give them a dry and wet rating for example would be better than there repeat types of posts? Dunno how much work that involves?

25. Or just goto a tyre review website that already has it all

26. I run rainsport 3 on mine for road use and wet track day, no good in the dry on track tho.

27. I think he is referring to what rs owners think regarding different tyres...typically those people on the tyre review sites that review the chinese tyre "imaluckychapbuyingthisshitecheapcraptyreforfookall" are always going to say they are fab because they have spent 20 quid a corner on them and may not be a fair reflection on the tyre capabilities for a typical rs driver

28. I know good tyres will be better, im just surprised how good the R26 feels on carp ones. This is on road not track where I'm sure the differences would be magnified.
    These are the first 'cheap' tyres ive had and the car grips like a Bastard on them. I'm replacing them next month so the comparison will be interesting..

29. its all very subjective anyway...

I know people rave about michelin pilot sport 4 tyres on here
    I've got michelin pilot super sport tyres on the m5 and they are not great in my opinion as they break traction all the time, but they are the only tyres I have used on it and the 560hp doesnt help

30. I usually go by the Evo tyre test. They usually describe how a tyre feels on the road aswell as the measured tests.
    I had a set of F1 assy 2 on my clio 182 and the sidewalls were so soft the car felt quite imprecise.

31. yep..i had f1 assy 2 on my R26 for a while and hated them..car lost a lot of turn in sharpness.
    I have PS4 now...for all weather fast road driving..i dont think you can buy better.
    I dont hear a bad word about Yoki ADO8R`s though...obviously not as good in the wet,but with stiffer sidewalls,epic in the dry on the road ,and occasional track.

32. Does not stop the same type of post appearing all the time tho does it.......
    and to a certain extent I understand that people want the opinion of the tyre on the same car as they own.

33. I'm not asking for recommendations as such. I wanted people's opinions on the difference they felt going from Chinese tyres to something decent on an R26. E.g. turn in was sharper / it rode better / was quieter etc
    My car came on these tyres and its sharper than my 182 on F1 assy's, and better in every way than my 130i was on conti SC5's.
    I reckon I'll try a set of rs3's .

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  34. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

With budget tyres I've found that on day to day road use, driving 5-6/10ths most of the time and on roads you know well, you'll never have a problem and they'll be absolutely fine. The problem is when you need them to work, they probably won't.

I have a Volvo 850 T5 which came on a triangle talon sports all round, they were fine most of the time, it's a fairly powerful car and the chassis is terrible so you do rely on the tyres to have fun in it but they had plenty of grip and drove fairly well it's an old Volvo everyone says "it'll be right". Then when it rained it would spin up the wheels in 4th gear doing 40-50mph and any slight bend was like driving on ice, when it was cold you had to take roundabouts at no more than 15mph because the thing would just go straight forwards. Normal road temperatures they were good/great!

I also bought a Mk4 Toyota Supra off a chap who daily'd it for about 11 years and never drove it hard in his entire life, came with a set of Primewells all round fitted to it. Again day to day and going for spirited drives was fine, it even did a reasonable time down the drag strip at Santa Pod for a standard car and a driver who'd never been down a drag strip in his life. But the day came where the anti-slip control was off and there was a right hand bend with a give way say about 10 yards after it with a car sat at the junction, squeeze the brakes a little harder than normal and the thing began to lock up various wheels even though there was no sign and really I wasn't slowing down that quickly (not for the fastest stopping car of it's era anyway).

Anyway long story short... budgets are fine most of the time, but you probably don't realise you're actually at the limit of their grip when you're only driving at half mast so push that little bit further and they just give up, which if in an emergency brake or heavy downpour when tyres are being pushed is not ideal!

I have to say "HappyGallop" made me giggle :laughing: