250 Changing wheel bearing

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Charlie Howard, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Does it require a press like the 225?

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes.

3. Charlie Howard

Ah okay, I was hoping my method of a big hammer and chisel would work.

4. Are these different from the Clio i.e not a bolt on bearing pack at the front and integral to the disc at the rear ?

5. Charlie Howard

Same as 197/200 I believe

6. Asuming that is the case the fronts are simple 4 bolts and knock the bearing pack out of the hub no press needed. The rears are integral to the disc so it's a simple disc change.

7. Charlie Howard

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I don't think it needs a press, I know it does seeing as I done both mine recently

9. Charlie Howard

That's the answer then, a friend of a friend has a press so not a huge deal. Thanks!

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It bolts to the hub carrier, but you need to press the actual hub into the bearing

11. Are they bolt in Jamie ?
    On the Clio 197 I replaced all 6 front ball joints, removed the bearing packs from the front hubs as well as replacing all the bushed for powerflex black series and only needed a press for the ball joints and bushes. If you had to press the bearing packs out you must have got unlucky with corrosion.

12. Bit strange that Jamie I have worked on quite a few cars with that type of bearing set up and never had to press it back in.

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Might of been down to corrosion but still required the press once the hub was cleaned up, otherwise the hub would only be attached to the car via the hub nut on the shaft

14. Charlie Howard

In the event my mate isn't around is this something I can take to a garage and they'd press for me?

15. The bearing is held in the hub carrier by the bolts, the bearing main stress path is axial not really sure what you mean Jamie , the hub assy is attached to the car via the strut and the ball joint attached to the arm, the wheel bearing is attached to the car via 4 bolts that type of bearing pack is not supposed to be an interference fit.

16. Charlie Howard

One says press one says not lol

17. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

The bearing bolts to the hub carrier yes, but then you have the actual hub that fits into the bearing and needs pressed.

First photo is the hub, 2nd the bearing and the last one is the whole thing assembled but not attached to the carrier 8656034af9f247910a0e71bea525126e.jpg 9362372ccc76d486174f35ef2e45fdb4.jpg f163f41d95b9cf3ad82e134fcb566aee.jpg

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That's the whole assembly split down. a83ce98396b65a80c9ebbccce7f7a76f.jpg

19. Got you sorry I was talking about fitment into the swivel hub see what you mean now.