R26 Changed my swivel bearings today.......not!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Leigh, Apr 3, 2018.

1. I’ve had my R26 for almost a year now and have never been overly impressed with the handling. Although I still love it ha ha.

Turn in has never been as sharp as expected and it understeers more than It should.

Tyres are relatively new rainsport 3s - not the best I know, but should be good enough for me. (Wearing on the very outer edge though)

it wanders unexpectedly with ruts and under braking. And when going from say a left hander to a right hander..... it feels wrong....it doesn’t inspire any confidence at all.

There’s play that can be felt it the steering and when moving the wheels at the 3 and 9 positions.

The only thing that I could detect definite play in was the track rod ends. I changed these with trw parts and did the rack bush at the same time.

After a temporary alignment (using my trusty trackrite) it drove loads better.........but there’s still some play!!

I then decided to change the swivel bearings because, even though they turn freely when the track rod end is disconnected, I think I’ve narrowed the play down to there.
    (And there’s a creak when pulling out of a junction which I suspect is linked)

That brings me to today.........bearings and seals in hand.

Everything was going swimmingly but, to my surprise, the bearing was in almost perfect condition. The inner race had no rust on it whatsoever.

I put the inner race inside the bearing and there was quite a lot of play! I tried it in the new bearing and it was hardly any better.
    I measured the inner race and it’s a good 0.1mm down! Bummer!

After closer inspection, it looks like the inner race has been cleaned up so I suspect the bearing was changed in recent years.

I wasn’t going to waste my new bearings so the old one went back in.

Hmmmmmm......[emoji848]

Looks like I’ll be making some inner bearing races then!

The mrs thinks I’ve just wasted 3 hours for nothing.
    I prefer to think of it as a bonding session between man and machine.........[emoji85]

Big Uno, dot61 and Mikey4410 like this.
  2. done all what you have,with similar symptoms.New inner arms and shocks/springs going on friday.
    i am confident this will bring back the handling to its best.
    Will report my finding when its all on, and tracked back in.

3. They’re at that age where the components are getting tired, hey.

It’ll be interesting to hear your findings on the shocks as they’re not something I’ve considered would help with my symptoms.

Did you replace the bearing inner race/turrets when you did the swivel bearings?

4. mine only had a small amount of pitting on them,so we were able to clean them up and re-use.
    to be brutally honest,even though doing the bearings lightened the steering..it did little to improve the handling.
    I think putting on both sets of droplinks did more for the handling.

5. i think diamond motors who are official traders on this site, were selling new turrets.

6. The theory with the new shoiks/springs is because they are old and weak
    ,they allow more force to be put through the droplinks,loading up the roll bar more than it should.
    The car definatly rolls a lot more than it did,although the roll bar bushes look fine.
    I have no knocks/clunks,etc from anything underneath.

7. There’s quite a bit of play in my bearings so I’m positive it’ll make a difference for me. Maybe not for the handling but definitely for the steering feel.

I’m going to manufacture my own but thanks for the info.

Mine came with h&r springs and I kind of wish it didn’t. I can’t help but think most cars handle better, on our roads, with standard equipment.
    I should imagine that pairing this with tired dampers just make matters worse.

8. When my car was new,the standard suspension set up was just about perfect for all condition driving.
    So as you say,adding stiffer,lower springs is only going to make things worse.
    In saying that,the suspension i have sourced comes with cooksport springs.
    I have a feeling i will regret putting them on,but i am gonna give it a go.
    if its to stiff,i will buy new standard eibachs.

If you are going to the trouble of making the turrets,i am sure there will be quite a few on here that would want a set.
    We where going to do it ourselves,but didnt get round to it, after my own were found to be ok.

9. I would love to jump in a brand new one to compare it to mine ha ha.

I’ve made quite a few bits for my cars over the years and enjoy doing it.

I’ve always been dubious about making things for other people though, I’m too conscientious!
    I’d be worrying about every last thing.

I’d be thinking....is it too cheap, is it too expensive, is it the right material, will it last.......will it break...... will it maim someone and I end up in jail......... sharing a cell with mike Tyson!

You know, that sort of thing.....

10. Don’t think he’s in prison at the minute Leigh so you should be alright

11. My irrational fear just happens to picture him in jail....... maybe he’ll go down at the same time as me? [emoji85]

12. Fnarr fnarr lol

idontknow likes this.
  13. I don’t think I was even driving when he was in jail.
    You get the picture tho ha ha.

14. Just googled it, I definitely wasn’t!

15. You will wanting to make those turrets out of a decent material.They certainly live in a harsh environment!

16. Yep.

I’m planning on using D2 and harden up to 58-60 roc c.
    I’ll leave a knacker of material on and grind them to size after heat treatment.

It’s material that’s to hand and it will be more than sufficient.

17. Roughed my turrets out.

I’m jumping on the machines during my half hour lunch breaks, so I can’t always make things in the most logical/convenient way.
    I have to break the process down in to manageable chunks, which is a bit frustrating. I have to leave the machine free. so with setup and clean down, I probably only get 20 minutes really.
    With these, it would have been far better to machine them on the bar and part them off but never mind, they’re getting done.

Obligatory photos.....

fbed06ba03b6be56529af7ff2521c1cb.jpg
    370300fe0a42821133be7fb6d7edd357.jpg

18. Bit more progress......

46ed65db88383f6a29a394ae4899d683.jpg
    5ed3205d7bf3ce9afd78d21f447eed1a.jpg

Big Uno likes this.
  19. looking good..going to pick my car up today with its total steering/suspension refresh.
    will report back later.

20. Cheers man.

Bet you can’t wait! I hope it’s made the difference you’re looking for.

21. Well,new renaultshocks,cooksport springs,inner arms,and track rod ends fitted.
    Trouble is..the tracking gauges my renault tech mate was trying to use,where way out.
    He tried to do it twice,but it was obvious it wasnt working,as the fkn steering wheel now points to 2 oclock!

So now i have to try and find someone round here that has a decent tracking set-up,
    which wont be easy!

So still dont know how the cars going to handle.
    My mate did say the springs were as soft as shit,and rear struts badly corroded.
    hopefully i can get someone decent on it soon.

22. What a bummer.

You wanna get the tracking bang on now that you’ve gone to this expense ay.

23. hi Andrew, not 100% sure where you are, i used Pro tyre in Plymouth, did mine and very pleased with them and not a bad price, used ATS did a reasonable job, they were close to where my workshop is but £40, Pro tyre gave a print out of a before and after for £30 :smiley:

24. in north devon ian..so a bit of a trek.got one good guy doen here..but hes always mental busy.

25. Almost there......

90dbb42327eace045cf55f01054760c3.jpg

26. Look good, what are they made from.

D2?

27. Yes, D2.

Not ideal but most convenient.

I’ll hopefully have them off for heat treatment next week. I’ve left a gnats on for grinding when they get back.

28. Ideal stuff to make them out of though.

Are you adding the 5mm hole in these so you can counter hold the turret from turning when tightening the bolt?

Also, what is the channel around the outside for? Holding grease?

29. I will be adding the hole even though, strangely, my car didn’t have a pin!

I wondered if they were so rusted that they sheared the pin? God knows. I might put a dowel back in. Although it reassembled no problem without one.

No that’s not a groove/channel. It’s just the shoulder where I’ve turned up to. I still have to hold them the other way around and finish the back.

30. Ahh right, i thought you had come up with an ingenious way to hold more grease in and move it around the bearings haha.

31. I did think about putting a couple of grease holes around the periphery but I’m not convinced it’s necessary.

You could use the grease nipple idea and alter the design of the turret to make sure grease gets where it’s needed. Overkill though i’d say.

32. well mine lasted 10 years before they died..so hopefully wont have to do them again.
    lots of people who have reused damaged turrets will have to though!
    Had a result with the tracking..local place just had a mega camera system just put in..so booked in for that next saturday.

33. Let’s hope these last another 10 years then!

Good result with the tracking. Be interesting to hear how it drives when done.

34. praying its back to its best.
    just noticed as well that the drivers tyre has a slow puncture,and was on 18psi which obvious didnt help with
    how it felt on the brief drive home.

35. Yep, tyre pressures have a massive impact on handling.

The amount of times I’ve thought ‘that tyre looks low, that’ll explain the erratic handling’ only to check it and it’s fine. ‘Just the ageing suspension/steering then!’ Ha ha.

36. Ok took the car into the tracking place.
    He has got a brand new computerized rig,and sets up racecars.
    So i was confident of a good result.
    After putting all the sensors on the car,he thought the settings were not a million miles out...which worried me,as it felt odd to drive.

Anyhow,with no adjustment possible on the rear,he tweaked the set up,and i can now confirm that the car seems back to rude health.
    He actually gave the car a little more tow in,as he said it would help with high speed stability.
    So with just a few tweaks here and there,i could instantly tell the turn in bite was good..which was lacking before.

I suppose the R26 just must be very sensitive on it geometry settings,as it feels planted again.

So the answer for people with R26/mk2 meganesport handling problems is unfortunately throw money at it.
    Changed,the steering bush,inner arms,track rod ends,struts and springs front and rear
    and well calibrated tracking equipment.

Looking forward to a B road blast, to give the car a good work out.

Big Uno likes this.
  37. That’s great!

You’ve spent a fair bit on it but it’ll be worth it!

How much did the alignment cost? if you don’t mind me asking.

I’ll be looking to get mine done once I’m happy there’s no more play.

38. alignment was £40..would be more for a car that has adjustment on the rear,which the megane doesnt have.

Leigh likes this.
  39. Been really busy recently but still managing to chip away at this.
    I’m in no real rush so I’m happy with the progress.

Here’s the bearing inserts ready for heat treatment.
    22450c968347db101eb5d1aaef9f06f0.jpg

Back from heat treatment
    c3e18e9b03ae738ed094c1d94717ccbd.jpg

Voila! The finished article.
    Ground for a precision fit once again!
    31840745ac7ca09efdb7b88f590a2b95.jpg

God (read mrs and kids) only knows when I’ll get round to fitting them though.

Big Uno likes this.
  40. to be honest..doing both my swivel bearing did nothing to improve my handling..just lightened the steering.
    I can confirm though that doing the shocks,springs,inner arms and TRE`s,plus accurate re-alignment,has indeed,
    at last sorted out the handling problems.
    Expensive refurb of everything to do with the steering and suspension..but i am just glad its worked out.

Not sure about these cooksport springs though..makes the car look epic.
    But they simply dont have the progression of the standard springs.
    All gets a bit bouncy and crashy.
    Just about exceptable,but they certainly dont help the ride quality in any way.

Big Uno likes this.