Building a r26r rep.

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Lee in scunny, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Hi all.
    I never did a build thread for my 225 cup (que a few pics)......

d2ad4bdf00c3a033f0ff7ebe975bbc2b_zps3a1f12ab.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and more recently...

[​IMG]

my only regret is that in 6 years of ownership I have never done a build thread for this car.

Anyway I have another bite at the apple (so to speak ). My plan is to build a car that is equal in spec ( nearly anyway ) to the mighty r26r So I went out in search of an abused megane 225. Anyway after I missed a couple of cheap cars I came across this magnificent example.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it came with 9 months mot & 3 months tax so I ran it around for a few weeks to make sure the shell was ok. It does have full leather (which I will be pulling out & selling off). My plans are to pull it to bits paint it in racing blues & replace the interior with 26r items. I'm also going to do a full ph2 dash & bumper transplant. It will be having a full suspension rebuild with coilovers & a fully forged engine with a gt3071r turbo & bespoke fuel system.

I have already collected a few bits......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The number plaque just for a bit of authenticity (I also have the dash one too).

[​IMG]

i have had the fully forged engine for a year now but just not got round to using it.
    Spec....
    bored to 83mm & fitted with cp 250 forged pistons
    catcams conrods
    acl race bearing shells
    arp rod bolts
    helix lightweight flywheel with paddle clutch
    polished & ported cylinder head
    cams to follow shortly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it may be a bit slow gathering traction but once I get it going it will be good.....

lee

F1 2.0RS likes this.
  2. All looks very interesting.

3. Look forward to seeing this come together :wink:

4. Nice plan.

#27 lives on :wink:

5. I'm looking forward to the build. I'm looking to achieve this........

[​IMG]

lee

6. I can't even remember what number is on the plaque.
    Lee

7. It's gonna look epic..

8. I'm hoping its going to go as epic as it looks.... :smile:
    lee

9. with that forged motor it will do

10. Gonna build a new plenum & use a larger throttle body as they suffer with turbo surge above 460bhp.

11. Look forward to seeing this develop. Youve already got a few important bits that would have been hard to find.

Dave

12. Dan

Dan

Can't wait for updates...

Keep the pictures coming..

13. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Nice plans. Good luck with it. Will you be replacing the glass windows etc as well?

14. I'm already looking at polycarbonate windows. I'm only changing the rears like on the r as I still want the fronts to open.
    Lee

15. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

What you done/doing with LDW lee?

16. Ash87

Ash87 RSM Moderator

Got some tasty bits already for it, will be mega when done!

17. Taking the bonnet off, putting the interior back to oem & selling.

18. Looking good Lee!

19. Cheers John.

20. [​IMG]

Whats the for Lee ?

Build looks very interesting !

21. That replaces the back seat.
    Lee

22. Looks good mate, looking forward to the updates on this :smile:

Will you need to change the rear axle or has it already got the ph2 beam fitted?

looks like you've managed to acquire some of the rare parts already- you going to use Renault poly windows?

23. I'm going to keep the ph1 rear axle I think. I have got the ph2 front & rear end. I'm also changing the clocks to ph2. I have 99% of the bits I need now. I have found a company that sell polycarbonate cut & bent to shape for a fraction of the dealer price

24. Guess your looking at the lexan windows?
    http://www.lexan-windows.com/window-kits-windscreens.html?brand=148&limit=25&model=443
    iv got it written down somewhere the company that makes the window for the .R, but was told they wont sell them unless its through Renault!
    Think the windows from ads are £3000 for the rear 3!!!

Did you finally decide to use a gt30 turbo?
    are you going to fit a 250 cylinder head or go with mk2 unit?

25. I'm using a 3071r turbo mate & using the 225/26 head. I don't think the 250 head will be much better unless the vvt is working.

26. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I have a ph2 rear axle on mine, if you have one lying around its worth doing it just for piece of mind. It's curved too for massive aero gains. :wink:

27. what 3071 you going to use...gtx or hta?

Is the antiroll bar not thicker on the ph2 axle assembly?

vvt is strange one and might be more hassle than its worth. Suppossedly the 250 head port design is alot better, so might be worth getting some headwork done?

28. 225 axle don't have ARB.R26 came with ARB.Head on 250 is a littly better, but the VVT makes 10 to 15 HP difference.

29. Didn't know that mate, i always thought all sport meganes had rear arb's :smile:

30. R26 rear axle it is then. Lots to do before then though....
    lee

31. Where did you source the seats? Can you give any advice on where to look out for them? Looks like an epic build, Cheers

32. The only place you will get a set of 26r seats from is a written off car.
    Lee

33. Cheers lee, I'll keep an eye out

34. Dan

Dan

One in France today!

Attached Files:

35. Nice work lee....be good to keep an eye on this

36. Ouch, Nimbus seems to be the colour of choice for bad luck at the minute

37. Or just get a Rear Anti Roll Bar. Although not quite sure I see the point in a 400bhp R26r a-like, kind of not the ethos of the original car, good luck tracking it can't see it being very reliable.

38. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

meow.

39. LOL, re-read that does sound a bit funny. But seriously 400bhp in a fwd trackday car. That isn't going to be reliable or cheap to run.

40. Cool project mate. Looking forward to seeing this build.