250 Brake System Fault / ABS / EPS

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by sonyboy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Had this error message for quite a while. Done some reading and the first 2 places to start is topping up the fluid and to replace the disc/pads (mines are quite worn). 2 questions:

1. what brake fluid can I use - dot 3? I've got some in the garage that I opened approx 2 years ago is okay?
    2. is there a guide to show how I can change the disc and pads? I've done them many times before on other cars so just looking for a few pointers in case Brembo brake is different. Thanks

2. Do the pads before topping up the brake fluid, or be prepared to drain some out before fitting new pads.
    I am sure you need dot 4 fluid, and if the fluid is that old you have it needs to be binned, brake fluid absorbs moisture, so if you get your brakes over 100 deg the water will boil and then little or no peddle.

Fronts, knock the pins out (good luck on that one) will depend on how long they have been in.
    You need to force the pistons back into the calipers, you then need a 12mm alan key for the retaining bolts, disc's are held on with torx screws.

Rears depend on model, PH1 or Ph2.

3. Thanks, will get dot 4. Do you know how easy it is to change the brake fluid too? As in is the same like other cars, can't think how it can be different. No idea on what PH1 or PH2 means? I've got the non cup version if that helps.

4. If you want to do a fluid change properly you will need to get it plugged into to a machine, this will then allow the ABS pistons to be operated to flush all the old fluid out, or you can suck out as much fluid as you can from the reservoir and just top it up.

do you have a early or late 225, or r26 they have different calipers

sonyboy likes this.
  5. I have the RS250.

6. The calipers are different but the principles the same.

Not sure how the rears come off but there aren't that many options, but your going to need a rewind tool

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. There are numerous vids you can watch on brake/fluid change for these vehicles as it's an area best not to be experimenting in. Don't drain the brake reservoir as mentioned as this can allow air into the clutch line.