Blue 250 cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Bowen, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Did you run spacers with your h&r's mate?

2. Yep.

3. This is an earlier picture of yours in the thread mate, looks great and you don't mention putting spacers on till after this. So is this with or without? And what size spacers did you use? Was it front and rear when you did them? Sorry for all the questions mate!

4. It's a build thread/progress thread.

That pic is without spacers. I now have. 20mm spacers on the rear only.

"When did I fit them?" Do you want the precise date? Lol.

5. Sorry mate was just trying to work out which pictures were with and which ones without. Cheers for the info bowen!

Has it had any effect to the handling with 20 mm on the rear and does it rub?

Bowen likes this.
  6. Ha it's ok mate. I just update stuff as I go along.

Handling I think is better. Seems sharper but that's just my opinion.

Yes it scrubs ever so slightly when going over bumps. I didn't know this until I fitted them and I if I did I would probably have thought twice. That said, it does look a lot better with rear spacers.

I'll be fitting coilovers soon and to over come the scrubbing you cut the arch liners....

jack250 likes this.
  7. Cheers for the info pal. Would only consider the spacers if they were to have some kind of positive effect towards the handling. Really don't want it rubbing either. Hmmmmm what to do?! The look of them is also a bonus. Would you say they rub constantly or just over a very bad surface?

Once again mate sorry to go on. Just don't want to get something based on aesthetics, could spend the £100 on something more produvtive.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  8. I've asked a few people about being on H&R's and spacers. Very few have scrubbing issues, so I believe my rear shocks are on there way out anyway hence the purchase of coilovers.

Go for it, if you don't like them you can always sell them on.

In other news, I have a coolant leak.

7D4414E1-68C5-4C61-9831-075207891A66_zps4ogsfp4k.jpg

It's coming out as fresh as it's going in?

9. RC5+ pads fitted. Jesus they squeal. Ha.

10. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

They quiet down after they have had some proper hest in them, If you think they are bad for noise try Carbotechs or Performance Friction, mine sounds like a train under brakes [emoji23]

11. I pulled up at a red light earlier and I could see people looking like "why does that car sound like a bus or Lorry braking?!" Ha.

12. How did you bed them in ?????

13. When I ordered mine I asked Paul Chance at CL what the bedding in procedure was and he told me there wasn't really a bedding in procedure so interested to hear what folk are doing?

14. The only thing that stops the noise is deglazing them. But then as soon as you do a bit of cold, light braking, the squeal returns. I will take brake squeal over chocolate pads every day of the week.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

15. I did around 10 runs from 70-20mph to bed my cl5's in. Squeal like mad though unless hot unfortunately

16. I was told to do 5 applications at 75% with time to let cool in-between (a couple of minutes) worked a treat

17. Only just seen this post. I now have that car mate !!

Great colour and it looks amazing when it's clean. That pic when it's detailed looks great Bowen. I might get that splitter

Bowen likes this.
  18. First track session in the Megane yesterday and it was wet, very wet. Even so I had a blast. Federal RSR's weren't really up to this amount of rain.

5C43B19C-62B9-4646-A2B3-DAE6D9F6DD9C_zpspfadame8.jpg

365BD66C-037A-4DD5-BD5D-CE0EF515579A_zpsrnlfbzzd.jpg

Jimbob 2705 and odinson like this.
  19. Head light and number plate friend! ac192adc764fd31f47d0779365c95523.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ba9940a369e61051528044e2d8e896f3.jpg

21. @Bowen how easy was it to fit the rhino lip? My lip spoiler has cracked due to hitting a duck on the motorway of all things and I'm thinking a rubber one will be much better and cheaper than the £60 Renault want.

Did you need to jack the car up or can you do it just lying down ? Is it easy to get the old one off ?

Cheers
    Matt

22. A duck on the motorway?!

It's easy. Few self tappers and it's sorted. You don't need to jack the car up.

23. Had my B14 coilovers fitted today. The general feel of the coilovers is great. Soaks up bumps in the road much better than the old OEM stuff.
    I've also fitted a spacer to the passenger side driveshaft to prevent the driveshaft popping out.

My only issue (and I'm yet to really have a look) is that at low speed and over rough road surfaces I get what can only be described as a wobble/rumble/knock. At higher speeds it's fine?

24. Photobucket is playing up. I would upload a pic.

25. Odd. The IMG code wouldn't copy and paste, I had to copy and paste to notes then paste here.

Anyway, here is a pic. Advice on the described knock/rumble would be good.
    IMG_2377_zpsrfwfuvzm.jpg

IMG_2375_zpstehxaik9.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Jimbob 2705 likes this.
  26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Did you change the droplinks?

27. No, I'm guessing I should have? For shorter ones?

28. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

No, they are not needed.

Worn drop links may be causing the noise though, saying that, are they wound all the way down? Mine felt shite and were noisy when all the way down, wound back up and no noise and felt a lot better.

29. Think I'm going to raise it slightly today and see what it's like.

30. Looks great mate! Do you have any other components that aren't standard with the set up? Camber plates? Spacers etc

31. You and spacers. Lol. Just buy them. Ha.

I removed the spacers when fitting the coilovers because I didn't know how low the rear would sit. So standard components.

32. Raised the front right up this morning. It's actually quite low, even when it's raised all the way up.

The knock/rumble sound is still there. It hasn't affected the way the car drives or handles but I know it's there. I am able to here it most going slowly over uneven ground and when moving off in reverse. It's like and engine mount but has only happened since fitting the coilovers.

4B917F63-3670-4089-B13C-F2D01F958C3A_zpsjk0ia1wz.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  33. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That still looks really low, mine is almost stock height when fully raised. How are your topmounts and droplinks? Lower arm bushes ok?

34. :tearsofjoy: I know, I know. I've been deliberating way too long! I'm not doing it. Going to save up and go for proper coilovers. If I mention the word 'spacer' again please tell me to f-off!

Keep us posted on the B14's mate, interested to know how they perform.

Bowen likes this.
  35. Found the source of knocking. Track rod ends knocking away, seems they've been knackered a while. Main dealer parts only?

Here's a pic I was sent at a wet Castle Combe, before coilovers.

ED184E2A-6E54-4DFF-B08B-468A1F0ED8FB_zps5iyq3akf.jpg

36. Track rod ends are Main dealer parts only, i bought them via eBay seller from Poland, ROFAG it was i think, anyway the price was much better than from our local dealer with discount.

Bowen likes this.
  37. renaultpartsdirect.com

Bowen likes this.
  38. So it's not the track rod ends, on inspection they were perished so replaced. However the knock is still there.

Jamie, where can I get top mounts other than Renault? Also, are there shorter droplinks available somewhere?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  39. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Depends if you want adjustable ones? Have a look at the camber thread that git-r started for some suggestions.

I'm on stock droplinks that I just had replaced and get the odd knock on slow stuff, might try some shorter ones, m3 ones work and superpro do adjustable ones

Bowen likes this.
  40. I've found that lots of droplinks are quite similar, like droplinks for a Mondeo are ok for a lowered MINI. Would be good if there were an online source where you could compare lengths and fittings.

Bowen likes this.