Bilstein B14 coilovers.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Mike265cup, Oct 25, 2015.

1. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I have them on mine, They are ok for fast road use but really, really struggled at the Ring so ill be replacing them with some AST's or similar. Granted mine weighs less than a stock Megane now.

Still decent enough for the money though, id still recommend them to people

2. Little bit ironic with "Tested on Nürburgring-Nordschleife" decals on them... :grin:

3. Tested yeh, but doesn't mean they were any good there :tongueout:

"Tested on a run down to maccy D's" probably doesn't have the same ring :smiley:

MartijnGizmo likes this.
  4. How did they struggle ? Simply not stiff enough ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. I've been contemplating the B14's for a while now but found it hard to get any decent reviews on them. Will be interesting to see how you get on Mike.

They seem so much cheaper than other coilovers too which had me questioning reliability/performance.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not enough damping/rebound. Too soft. Not enough body control on the proper quick stuff, IE over SX and down the Foxhole.

7. Ahh ok so they lack the nimbleness of something like club sports etc. What about over rough stuff like kerbs ? Do they handle that well ?

I was planning on getting them and I think I still will as 90% of my driving is on the road with occasional track use.

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not nimbleness, Just the actual damping control of things like Clubsports/ASTs/Nitrons etc. They are ok over kerbs TBH if its mostly road use you are using it for they will be fine. Im only upgrading as i need more camber and damping as mine gets more and more track biased.

TEV250 likes this.
  9. Is there someone who is using Bilstein B6 dampers under Meg? I think the B6 series can be better? As they are only dampers i think it can work better than B14 kit if using them with Cooksport springs for example?! About the price, it shouldnt be much more than the B14 kit itself.

10. Interesting thread. Coilovers are very much on my list and the only reason I've not bought so far is that I dont know what I actually need as opposed to want. Would I play with the settings, adjust the heights? Is clubsports overkill for me for use on trackdays, would I see a huge benefit over B14's.

I enjoy the std set-up but find it 'wanting' on track with too much roll impacting on direction changes.

I initially read this thread and thought these will do nicely, but not sure now. I suppose the procrastination over what to get will continue....:anguished:

Jonny157 likes this.
  11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'll be selling my set soon anyway, they have done around 6k

Be after £550 for them

12. I think your honest assessment Jamie has put me off them, I'm back onto KW now but the same old questions, what spec and functionality. i've never had coilers before so I guess even the 'poverty' spec will be a vast improvement for me.

13. Have you tried upgrading you're arm rubber bushes to something firmer, makes big difference to vehicle direction change, also stiffen front bar helps a lot, factory fit springs ain't that bad with above

14. Not even thought of that. More things to think about now lol...

15. Interesting comments about B14's - what are your thoughts about Ohlins? Don't see them mentioned anywhere..

16. Ohlins are on sale on ebay......

17. I've finally bought a set of B14, any photos of you guys running yours? How low have you guys gone on them? I don't want to slam the car by any means, considering a drop of 30-40mm?

Bowen likes this.
  18. Mike, i'm interested in Buying a B14 kit.
    can you give measurements of height/clearance on lowest and highest position ?
    or compared to standard, how much is the car lowered minimum and maximum.
    My goal is not lowering to much, but gain better handling of the car.

cheers

19. For those finding the B14 lacking: Eibach do sell their ERS linear springs to upgrade them. Not sure about the exact differences, but Madeno Racing use these on their custom BMR14 sets.

M250RS likes this.
  20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Madeno also change the damping to suit them and don't recommend changing Springs without having the damping revalved to suit.

MartijnGizmo likes this.
  21. Good to know! :smile: