265 Battery Charging Fault

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Trouserhams, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from you knowledgeable lot!

I have a low mileage RS265 as a daily runaround, and, as if to remind me why I sold my last French Hot Hatch - a Peugeot 106 Rallye; it's flagged an electrical fault!

The message 'Battery Charging Fault' along with the Stop lamp flagged up driving to work in the snow (yes it was a while ago) when I gave TC a poke around 3-4000rpm, and now will not clear.

C75ED3A7-9D38-489D-A554-385BDEC1AB1B.jpg

The battery voltage is around 12.3V with the engine turned off and rises to ~14.1V when the engine is turned on, which says the alternator is working and is also charging the battery (I know this as it still works months later).

I cant seem to find much on this particular issue online, as most others that have had something similar say it has only been an intermittent issue and it clears. This flags every time I get in the car after about 10-15 seconds. If I don't disable the stop start, I also get a message 'Check Stop Start'.

I believe I have checked all the grounds, however if someone has a picture/diagram of the locations, that would be a great help.

I've hooked the car up to an OBD fault reader and its clean as a whistle, so I can only assume the fault code is hidden within a Renault module that needs special diagnostics equipment to view. I believe this is called CLIPS and it looks like its available online, however, at a price!

The car has done around 28k, and is otherwise absolutely brilliant!

77d12b0b-e034-46f6-aec1-6aafc0748fdd.png

de65134d-0c75-478f-97c3-01d1104f3c87.png

Hopefully someone has seen this before, any suggestions welcome!

2. I get this occasionally on my 265, but only after hard acceleration. It pops up on the dash for a few seconds then clears. I reckon it’s a ground connection fault but never checked it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Yes could well be grounding thing, check both the ground straps to the battery are tight. One supplies earth to the multitude of sensors on the engine the other supplies earth to engine management components and chassis

4. I’m having the same problem. Did a full diagnostic which showed the alternator was on it’s way out. Replaced it but still getting the same error.