Ball joint replacement- It IS possible!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Beefy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

Thanks for tip on these ball joints. I replaced mine yesterday with ones from Euro car parts. If anyone else is doing the same, you should cut about 3-5mm off the end of the ball joint as there's a plain section above the thread which is super close to the lower hub bolt.

2. This thread has probably just saved me shelling out on new wishbones!
    Ball joints ordered, will remove the wishbones and take them to a mechanic with a press!

3. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

This is going to save me buying two new lower arms as well.

Thread should be stickied

4. You can get them out in situ. Then press them in again if you have the correct tooling. Problem is most people dont have it :worried:

5. I've just read all of this and was wondering what road people would go down in regard to using the eurocarparts, part or getting powerflex bushes instead. I too need them replacing and I'm not wanting to spend over £200 on both new arms.

6. Just had an advisory on my 250 cup, "slight play in ball joint offside front lower" is this what people are talking about and if so will this one fit the 250 (60 plate). Been quoted £537 from Renault, seemed a bit steep.

7. Just to day thanks for this thread, it's saved me a lot of money! The ocap euro car parts ball joint fits perfectly.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

8. a3a99094bbf64bb72ca7acaa856275fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

9. The OCAP ones are no longer available. I saw a Renault part number of “60 25 308 155” which corresponds to Lemforder part 26741 which EuroCarParts sell. There is a TRW (JBJ732) version but that was more expensive.

10. I replaced mine 2 years ago with the OCAP ones but ones worn out. I used a press with them off the car (well it was done for me).

This time I CBA to remove the wishbones. How easy are they to remove in situ? I’ve seen the ball joint presses on eBay but to have a hydraulic puller I can use.

11. TRW and Lemförder are both big OEM suppliers in the European car manufacturing scene. Trouble is TRW also do aftermarket quality parts in addition to OEM quality ones, and it's very hard (even for a professional) to know which is which. Lemförder AFAIK hasn't started this business yet and you can be pretty confident that a Lemförder suspension part will be OEM quality.