Ball joint replacement- It IS possible!

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Beefy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. After lots of searching I've found the answer. We all thought you had to buy a complete arm if you had a worn ball joint or split dust cover. NO MORE!

I wasn't having it that it couldn't be bought separately, having been in the motor trade for 12 years I know that all manufacturers share parts across models so I ordered every threaded ball joint for a Renault into my local parts supplier and hay presto!

It's the same ball joint as fitted to a 1998 2.0L petrol Espace. I've measured it against the original with a caliper and is 100% identical! And it cost the grand total of.........£5.16!! Not £144 odd for the complete arm!

I'll add the part numbers when I bring the box in from the workshop, but if you order for the Espace it's all good!

Hopefully this will save some peeps some money!

2. Good work! This will help me out someday I'm sure :-)

3. Good work chap.

4. U can only replace the ball joint once or recommended due to after that it wears the arms and ye can pop out

5. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

I need both mine doing haha! Top top I'll sticky it later!!

6. Excellent work, I take it they come with the upper retaining clip?

Paul

7. well done, will come in handy no doubt.

8. Retaining clip? It's an interference/press fit hence the possiblilty of only replacing once, but the bushes will be gone by the time for a second joint anyway. m7nizS1lMV9xHxoFoLwyVBg.jpg

9. The other clamp fit ball joints have a clip or circlip as well that's all.

KGrHqNHJBsFGzhO07uBRuvcEbWg60_12.jpg

If it works that's good enough for me, I'm very much not a Genuine parts enthusiast...quite the opposite! :smiley:

Paul

10. I thought that's what you were referring to, that's the run of the mill Megane joint. Our Sport hubs joint is just simply pressed/tapped in. :smiley:

11. I did a couple on the wife's dci the other week. Loads easier than removing the arm. Not quite sure what the circlip does at it fits through the hole without touching.
    Lee

12. Daz

Daz

Good news!!

13. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

This is good news. Great work, Beefy!

14. Is this for an R26 then? I was under the impression that a 225 could be done if thats what you still have?

15. I'd be interested in the OEM part number :smile: I'm definitely an OEM-parts whore!! :tongueout:

16. Same arms on 225 & R26 I believe? The problem is some places list a ball joint like they do with the inner tie rods but in reality they're listing the wrong part. I know one of my suppliers listed the same ball joint across the entire petrol Megane range, 1.4 to R26!

17. That clears up the arms being the same on the 225/R26/R26R.:smile:

I'll PM Ads and see if he'd be kind enought to get a price and part number of a Genuine joint for reference.

18. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Did you get a price for a genuine Renault ball joint?

19. I e-mailed Ads but not had reply as of yet.

20. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I've sent him a few emails with no reply recently :worried:

21. Did we get a price from Ads on this?

Paul

22. Just to confirm, are we saying the the wishbones are the same across 225/R26/R26r, and/or even if they're not, do these Espace balljoints fit either arm?

23. As far as I can find out the arms are the same across the range.

All that's needed is someone to make a polybush kit then we can re-furb the arms nice and cheaply!

24. Funny you should say that, I spoke with powerflex yesterday as i was going to see if they would make a one off for me if I sent them the lower engine mount
    but they said they are looking to bring out a range of bushes middle of this year, he said definitely front and rear bushes where possible and lower engine mount. He said to keep my eye on their news page around April/May onwards. Not sure if I can't wait till then so may look at the vibratechnics on the rear arm bushes. But I'll be waiting for the lower engine mount bush replacements I think.

25. Track Focus Direct

Track Focus Direct RSM Trader

I've got some of the VibraTechnic wishbone bushes on their way to me for testing. I could look at a group buy if there's enough interest :-)
    If someone has an old wishbone, I could look into some other options for uprating the front bush.
    Cheers,
    Jonny

26. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

I have a few knocking around

27. I have a set of r26 bottom arms that need the ball joint replacing on. Some one could start a swapping job like the quick shifts...

28. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

I asked Powerflex at Autosport as they do a bush kit for the 197 lower arms, they told me middle of this year as well :smile:

29. yep this is definitely on the cards, we offered them an R26 a 250 for development :smile:

30. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Awesome, it's getting to the stage where peole are replacing bushes. Somebody needs to make some aftermarket parts!

31. Do you need to press these out, as mine isn't budging at all!

Paul

32. Today I discovered they do...with a 6 Tonne press :wink:

Paul

33. Apart from the press, is it fairly straightforward? We have a 20 tonne press at work, but how much of a ballache was getting the wishbone off? Did you use the balljoints mentioned by the OP?

34. It's subframe off for me, sometimes doing just a little more work makes the job easier. I don't know what your mechanical skills are like, but I do it on my drive on my own with no problems. Once the subframe is off, it's simple to do. You could also replace the other bushes, but mine are surprisingly still sound so I haven't bothered.

I used the ball joint suggested, however the OE ones are TRW units, they are available from most motor factors if you specifically ask for them.

A guide to taking the subframe off for those who don't know how to, just ignore the steering rack bit.

http://www.meganesport.net/communit...val-Refit-Guide&highlight=steering+rack+guide

Paul

35. I just removed the radiator support frame. No need to take the whole subframe off.

36. Lol, I did think that after I'd posted, I forgot to take into account that I'm doing other work as well which is made easier with subframe off!

Paul

37. How hard are these ball joints to press out?
    Thinking of changing mine but will I still have to take the wishbone off to press it out? Or can it be done with it still attached?

38. Mine took just under 6 tonnes to press out. With the press I have, I had to take the wishbones off.

It does vary though, you are supposed to be able to knock them out!

Paul