R26 AST sportline 2 or Nitron R1

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Ph1 Tom, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Yep good luck, what you've actually bought is some stress, unless your very lucky

2. I had stress last time, hopefully negotiated something to help speed things up a bit...we'll see!

I've opted for the 450/450 setup on Sportline 2s for now but with a slight difference. I'll update when I get them.

3. Yeah mark was surprised when I mentioned this thread after the hassle last time.

Hopefully your drop link brackets are correct aye Steve :wink:

4. They won't be johns are the same as mine and has had to fit wheel spacers , good luck getting them and if you've made changes it won't happen, I've never known a business run like it in my life, I'd be getting a set of BCs less stress

5. It's a real shame that the service is poor as the product is a real good bit of kit.

6. My last set took 3 months I think. I'm still tempted to get a set of BCs for now and sell them on when the ASTs are ready, although saying that I don't need them for a couple of months anyway.

7. 3 months. Joke BCs next day nothing wrong with them

8. yea im sure the ast are superb but BC i ordered 2pm and had by 10am next day and i had ordered different springs to the advertised kits..so far feel very good (will let everyone know by end of season if my opinion changes no doubt)

9. I'm pretty sure Jason Plato would be able to tell the difference but for what I use the car for id be surprised if I cold tell the difference if the springs were about the same rating , the ASTs may last longer but you can get 3 sets of BCs for the same money, I got my ASTs very cheap otherwise I wouldn't of bothered knowing the stress that can be caused from trying to spend money with a company in the UK , but like I say they are a great bit of kit.

10. I'm also in the market for AST.But have some mix informacion.Can AST boys give me some help.
    1.Is the rear sutup full coilove or the springs are separated like stop?
    2.Is there really just rebound adjustment? and if so do you miss bump adjustment?
    3.Have any one managed to calculate the motion ration if you move from conventionl spring + damper (OEM) to full coilover on the rear?
    4.I was thinking to go with 9 kg fron, 8k rear??

11. Full rear Coilovers on the rear, no idea what your on about with the other questions, just fitted them and their great, good luck with the purchase if you take the AST route .

12. 1 - full coilovers on the rear

2 - depends which ones you buy , 5100's are just rebound yes and I would say this is fine for track days / road . If you are a full on racer you can get remote compression adjustment on the 5200/5300 series

3 - you do loose an amount of droop on the back wheels .. Not measured it but I would say it's a few inches . But as you have stiffer springs and less roll the back wheels don't lift in hard cornering

4 - the AST springs are in LBs .. Standard is 450lbs which is around 7kg i think ? .. I would stick with 450lb all round proven by many cars on track to handle perfect on track and road also without compising ride comfort when not on track

13. This is the info I was looking for.Thank you.Yes I will buy 5100..to much money for the 5200's. 450 lbs is 8kg.
    How is the car on the road with 8 kg springs?Is the back lively on the track?

14. I've been given a shipping date for mine of May 15th, watch this space...

15. I've run ast on my last 2 cars and there fantastic but the megane ones were ordered last July and arrived in march so be prepared to wait but they are very good. I'm running 500lb all round at the moment but will be stiffening the rear as it isn't loose enough.

16. I've run ast on my last 2 cars and there fantastic but the megane ones were ordered last July and arrived in march so be prepared to wait but they are very good. I'm running 500lb all round at the moment but will be stiffening the rear as it isn't loose enough.

17. Not loose enough, might be better off with a rear wheel drive lol

18. Lol gotta get them moving on the track or it'll create understeer and thats boring!!

19. Do you race in a series

20. Castle combe championship

21. How come it's televised , what other cars are on track

22. They generally do 1 motors tv round a year, it's a mixed grid. Vxr astras, pug 106, audi tt, mgzr, vw scirocco, seat lens.. All sorts really, cars from 150bhp to 600 all in the same race.

23. guessing your winter or bird then being in combe series? was at combe beginning of month spoke to you briefly, im in wsscc didn't compete that round though..

24. Ah yes I remember.

25. Had a call from Curtis, my ASTs are ready! Just need to make the journey now

26. Picked them up yesterday which works out as a 6 week wait. Much quicker than some of the horror stories I've heard.

I went for the 5100 with 450lb springs front and rear but I've opted for their double digressive piston which Curtis says they haven't tried in the Megane before. I'll be out on track in a month to give him some feedback on them.

I'm going to look into what to do for a rear ARB, the 225 hasn't got one like the R26 does so either a R26 beam or a custom rear ARB will be sorted.

Another thread on here suggests that the front setup of the Clio 197/200 and the Mk2 Meg is very similar and parts should fit, the Clio cup racer has a 22mm ARB which I'm going to source and the cup racer also had some steering rack shims for countering bump steer when lowering the car. As I've gone to 17s these may be worth while.

27. I'm just in the process of making a rear antiroll bar for mine. I'll be interested to know if that clio one does fit. Keep me posted if you can.

28. You gone wider wheels on the 17's too? I didn't like the drive when on 17 at all!!

29. NJH

NJH

Interesting stuff, I note the lap record has recently taken a tumble down to mental speed, faster than the Porsches running on slicks! How much faster do you reckon the track is now after the resurfacing? Good luck btw its great to see a couple of Megs mixing it with those other cars.

30. It's about a second a lap faster depending on car and class

31. NJH

NJH

Cheers mate. Some other questions, do you have to run the 1-way version? ISTR your championships rules don't allow remote reservoirs? I believe you can also run turbo front wheel drives in CSCCs New Millennium series - Class E. I can see the meg becoming a popular race car in the near future, they have all the right ingredients.

32. Yes I hope so (keeps the value up) we can't run remote reservoir so I'm running the single adjustable. There are 4 different classes in our championship so you can run pretty much anything. (there are a few exclusions) from the year 2000 on.

33. NJH

NJH

I forgot to answer this one earlier. Easy way to get more rear end movement/slightly looser feeling early in a corner for any car layout is to adjust the vehicles rake to be more more nose down or conversely more arse up. You can also dramatically increase initial roll stiffness with your rear damper rebound adjustment on cars with a decently solid ARB. This confuses people but works because damper rebound forces are way way higher than bump forces in the dampers valving, you can see by how much if you have damper dyno plots for your ASTs.
    I can also highly recommend Ian Gardiner (http://www.igracing.co.uk/dampers.html) for rebuild and testing of pretty much any damper but in particular the ASTs as he used to work on them for a couple of friends of mine who had the AST 3 ways on their race cars.