Another tyre thread...

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Space Cadet, Dec 9, 2016.

1. What's the current favourite, money no object, fast-road all weather tyre?

The car is primarily a fun 2nd car back-roader but I will try and do a couple of track-days a year, it needs to be driven in all weathers on the wet and muddy back roads around where I live therefore 888's just wont do!

I think the Pilot Sport Cup 2's would be too dry weather and track focused, therefore what is a happy medium for good dry/good wet/very occasional track??

What about the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A fitted to the 275 Cup-S? Quote from EVO "it also does without Michelin’s Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres. That’s not a disaster, for as we’ve said before, the Potenza is actually the nicer tyre for road use, being less temperature-sensitive, offering a fraction more compliance and providing a clearer sense of connection to the road at sane speeds."

Any others????

Thanks!

2. If money is no object,
    get another set of wheels with race tyres on, ie 888s.

3. Thanks for that. I was obviously just referring to the tyres.

I'm not bothered whether they are for example £100 or £150 each, I'm just after the perfect all-rounder.....

I've had 2nd sets of wheels with 888's on in the past on dedicated track cars, but as I have a family now and therefore realistically will only go on track twice a year I just want the one set that do everything, primarily as all weather road tyres though.

4. Ive been using Goodyear Eagle F1s asymmetric 2s for a couple years now and have found they are a very good all rounder they, also give good rim protection.

5. Daz

Daz

F1 asy2s performance drop off like a stone when they wear down though

6. I've been impressed with my Federals, surprisingly good in wet weather.
    Matt was at Snetterton last week and had Yoko Advan Neova's, they were really great on track and didn't fall apart like I've seen other tyres.
    On my road wheels I use Conti 5, they're awesome in the wet and great in the dry.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

7. Pilot supersports seem the obvious choice no?

I had Potenza's in the rear and was underwhelmed with their wet weather performance.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    git-r likes this.
  8. on the road allrounder,just don't think you can go wrong with supersports or ps4.
    more extreme choice without going to track orientated..i know a lot of guys using AD08R..excellent tyre.

couldn't get the goodyears to turn in like Michelins.
    liked the conti 5P,but there were on the wearmarkers after 5k!

9. I have "Goodyear Eagle F1s asymmetric 2s" on at the moment & I find them ok *.. soon as temperature drops or bit of moisture, I'm struggling for grip..
    but i like the rim protection, saves the alloys
    *when i say ok, i mean 100% better than the Evergreen's it came fitted with when i bought it!!!

10. Yokohama advan sport v105

3rd in evo tyre test this year and one of the cheapest performance tyres.
    I just replaced potenza's for them, I'm very happy with them so far

11. Best all rounder hands down PS4

Meg16_Beth likes this.
  12. No 1 in the Evo test two years running..... Continental.

13. My Continentals after 19k.
    7cd01231010fff2f61bfa8e2eabe303d.jpg

L-1011 likes this.
  14. Driving style has a massive impact on tyre wear.
    I see lots of drivers at track days who destroy their tyres, when others using the same tyre have just normal wear.

15. Seat driver with 350BHP and Michelins at Bedford.

[​IMG]

16. Neither if you want to be able to track the car without chewing the front outer shoulder. They are not fit for that purpose even by road tyre standards.

The default issue with non-cup Michelins is the sidewall being so soft. It also blunts steering feel IME.

I would go Cup2s even in the wet - or Yoki 105 if not, what with a stiffer sidewall.

17. not everyone drives the megane up to and beyond its limit nick
    All this about Michelins being not fit for purpose for 99% of average drivers is to harsh.

For the 1 or 2 trackdays the OP might do,on a unfamiliar track,pushing at 70% they will be adequate.

I live in the countryside,which have a lot of sparsely trafficked roads which means you can carry eye widening pace across country.
    With the right tyre pressures the turn in is absolutely fine on my currant supersports..you would have to be driving like a lune to get it to push wide.

Most people simply would not have the skill to control cup 2`s in the cold,shitty country roads the OP is talking about..its frankly dangerous.

Most men would like to think they are good drivers,but we know that is not the case. Most of the time, apart from a select few...most would simply stamp on the brake pedal in a unexpected situation..not a great idea in a oversteer moment..but that will be most, non trained peoples immediate reaction.

A guy like you nick ,with lots of track, and over the limit experience will think nothing of dealing with a snap oversteer situation,most of us don't have the experience,or the skill to gather the car back in...

most of the currant hot hatches are on supersports as standard..fiesta ST,pug gti,rs focus.

Well respected motoring journalists like Richard meaden,and Jethro bovington both said of the RS focus,in normal day to day driving conditions,they both thought the supersport was more than capable for british roads.

In the recent hot hatch evo test ,dan prosser said the megane on cup 2`s was a handful when the tyres were not up to temperature..hate to think what they are like in the dead of winter,when farmer palmer has dumped crap all over the road on a unsighted bend.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    jack250, L-1011, Matt and 2 others like this.
  18. are these the 5P?..my mate has some conti 5`s on his skoda vrs,and they lasted 6k(on the front).

19. 5p. That tyre was on the front. I rotated approximately 3,000 miles ago and that's now on the rear. The tyres currently on the front have even more tread left on them.
    [​IMG]

20. Agreed they will be fine for road use - I agree they'll be fine at 7/10ths on track - but that would defeat the object of a track day. SS will simply chew their shoulders when they start overheating, which will normally happen beyond 3 hot(ish) laps.

You can drive around that but that's a bit of a PITA on a TD. It is possible that the OP might want to do a 20mn session at 9/10ths on a familiar track.

That's why I would say the Yoki are probably a better choice as they will withstand (a little) more abuse.

I agree with you on the Cup2s Andrew though, probably not such a great idea!!!!

21. True. But the yoko's are over £50 a corner cheaper.

22. sound advice on the track data..the yokis do seem to be a popular choice at the moment.

my mate has a turbo`d clio that's super rapid..last time we went to the ring his ADO8R`s had very little shoulder wear after serious abuse,while my PS2`s needed cooling down between laps.

They also seem to cope well with our awful condition roads round here.

23. This.

24. Just to add - nobody on here would deal with snap oversteer on the road

The Megane is so capable that to get snap oversteer on a decent tyre means you're doing serious speed and no matter who you are (bar racing driver), you'll be in the hedge

Anyone claiming otherwise - meet me on a track day to give me tuition please

L-1011 likes this.

25. I'm trying to work out what's gone one here, sure the tread looks to have delaminated but there's no writing left on the side wall? Was he running low pressures? If someones stupid enough to run pressures so low then not sure you could blame the tyre itself if run way out of spec.

26. That is a most bizarre foto, can't see how can drive 'on the he sidewall' even with near flat tyre. Anyway, back on topic, if you've ever tried the now older super sport tyre you'll know it was ahead of its time back then, Michelin really have excelled in tyre development against rest field over last say eight or nine years their R&D investment must be considerable. The soft sidewall was its achilleas heel and that is rectified with PS4. No one tyre yet exists that is going to do 5 laps of Silverstone without suffering heat issues, then offer amazing road holding wet or dry and last for good high mileage of that you can be sure. The tyre that tries and comes the closest is currently the PS4

27. I don't think anyone claimed they would Neil. I am a very average track pedaler compared with most. I have occasionally lifted with enough lock for the rear to start a modest slide on a deserted wide roundabout in the wet. It didn't take much skill to catch. But that was probably not "snap" oversteer as I expected it.

28. Forgive me - I'm not saying anyone did, but someone hinted that a lesser driver may not be able to gather a car up on the roads

My point is simply that anyone - bar the most elite of drivers - that pushes a car to the point of experiencing snap oversteer on the road, with decent tyres on (ie travelling at a good speed, not on Chinese remoulds doing 8mph on a roundabout), is going to have an accident

Sometimes my mind boggles at comments online, usually Facebook, about road driving. Either people are talking horse manure and it's bravado, or there are people out there driving at (or over) the limits of grip on the road.

Maybe I'm getting old, but modern cars can travel so quickly before they reach any kind of limit that I cannot imagine anyone being so stupid as to drive like that.

There's a road near me that is renowned for having a few corners where there are cars in the ditch on a fairly frequent basis. I always assume people got caught out with conditions, but perhaps it is as a result of pushing far too hard on the road. Genuinely though, even though some are tight / blind corners, you would need to be doing more than 60 to completely lose it into the ditch and that's what I can't quite get my head round... the concept of someone driving so quickly on the road in any car that they have gone beyond tyre grip

29. Would be my first choice for the OP's requirements :smile:

30. As I said, in the wet the Megane's rear is so stiff, it'll let go with a surprisingly low amount of chassis tension on a big lift or while trail braking, if you leave enough lock on. No need to go very fast, but then again that might not be what you call snap oversteer.
    This trait is one of the key reasons why I like this car so much, it's so adjustable
    For absolute clarity, that's in the wet.

31. Have you tried PS4? Does it really have stiffer side wall than PSS or even PS2?

32. Sure do, much stiffer, the super sport are really quite soft to the touch, they're doing he PS4S as well but only in 19" and 20" initially

33. In regards to snap oversteer control,i know several guys down here who take that kind of reaction in there stride.

I have been in a car with one of them who dialled in a half turn of opposite lock at well over three figures..when I glanced over at hmi,he looked like he was going for a sunday drive.

Some people have the reactions and the ability to drive a car at a pace most would have not believed to be possible with minimum effort.

Same guy got round the ring in a mates Cayman S in not much over 8mins,on his 1st lap out in it.

Guy drives round normally like a 80 year old granny,but can switch it on when required.

You can go for the moral high ground on this sort of driving,but I would love to have that kind of car control ability..

34. again quoting evo magazine..when they tested the trophy R,it was said that the car was possibly a step to far.
    With a degree of safety dialed out for that super alert darty turn in,with the risk of a loose rear.
    A trait rarely seen in a modern FWD hot hatch.

35. We must drive different set up's, I'd struggle in wet to get rear to move around under braking, Chuck it in wet or dry and it just handles pretty much any corner with zero drama.

36. Depends how much lock you keep under braking... As I said, it's very adjustable.
    I run a std Cup set up.
    This what PH said (inc pic) : "Predictably when the rain hits the track and things get slippery the Megane really shows its class. Turning in on the brakes reveals a much livelier rear end than the Leon - very lively in fact - but once mastered there's a beautifully uncorrupted sense of gliding across the surface on tip toes with plenty of options open as to how to gather it up. Tip it in early on the brakes and you can four-wheel drift the Megane with the wheel pretty much at the dead ahead, pick your exit point and then feed in the power to pull it straight at the moment of your choosing."

Megane275vsLeonCupra_21-L_zpsvc6uzgib.jpg

We should probably get back on topic !!!

37. Thanks for everyone’s responses but this has gone slightly off topic.

I’m having the wheels refurbished later this week and am going to treat it to some new tyres at the same time. It currently has (fitted by the previous owner) Pilot Sports on the rear and Pilot Sport 3’s on the front. Am happy to spend a couple of squid for some premium tyres but as per my original post they need to cope with the rain and back-roads as well as in the dry and very very occasionally the track (if I get back into track- day’ing I may end up getting a 2nd set of wheels with some 888’s on, but I can’t see this happening for a while).

I drove it Saturday night in the torrential rain and the part-worn Sport 3’s actually coped pretty well.

The Supersports – are these a newer version of the Sport X-number, or are they “better”?? The Trophy comes with Cup-2’s I think, are the Supersports an in-betweener?

Another quick question – the previous owner said they were run-flats, I can’t see anything on the sidewalls to confirm this other than “Extra Load” – does this mean they are run-flats?? (There is a space-saver wheel in the boot, rather than foam).

Thanks!!

38. I want to keep the standard 235/40/18 size and am therefore limited in the sizes some of the highest performance tyres come in. I can get Mitchelin Pilot Sport 4'S - Auto Express 2016 winner and Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 - Evo 2016 2nd place (EVO's 1st place the Continental Sport Contact 6 is not available in my size).

In addition to the two above Blackcircles also suggested the SP Sport Maxx RT 2 but said that the F1 was softer therefore better suited for the dry and track and that they suggest the F1 is better for my needs than the SP4.

Any views on this before I order them?

Thanks

39. Just read what is on the tyre sidewall.. it will be clearly indicated if they are runflats with a symbol , then go to the manufacturer website and see what the symbols mean. XL does not mean runflat.

As for the difference between michelin tyres officially:
    Pilot sport 3 = touring/normal
    Pilot sport 4 = meant for sportive sedans
    Pilot supersports = meant for sportcars
    Pilot cup 2s = trackdays/ super sportcars
    Pilot sport 4S = will be replacing supersports in the future

For road use the ps4/pss will be perfect, if you do trackdays alot you will need 2 sets IMO

Semislicks for summer/track and a set for winter..

40. Thanks for all the advice, have ordered the F1's in the end as they seem to have got really good reviews everywhere. Whilst I appreciate they might not be especially track-focused I will only ever likely be going a couple of times a year therefore the F1's look to be the best available in my size for fast-road.