Affordable helmets

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jon335i, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I've been looking into helmets to buy which don't break the bank, which can be used for both tin top and single seater driving. I've settled on the Hedtec and RRS brands; both look to be reasonably priced, are both FIA approved and aren't ugly as sin.

Does anyone have any tips for either, or a recommendation one way or the other? I'm quite taken by the bear carbon Onyx lid from Hedtec, but would like to know what experiences you guys have had - if any - with either brand. My main concern is making a purchase without being able to try it on!

I am open minded to the idea of other brands too, they're just the ones I could find!

Thanks, Jon.

2. Just go for a one that fits you the best. A £2000 badly fitting helmet will be worse than a £50 proper fitting one.

I bought a bike helmet from local store in the end (only do trackdays so FIA spec wasn't needed) after going through about 7 different lids bought online of which none of them fitted correctly.

3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Koden do reasonably priced lids now also, I'm probably going to pick one of them or a RS up as need one with Hans posts

4. I use my helmets very regularly, for single seater, open top and GTs.

Finding a good one that combines all requirements (maybe shield, short and long visors) is difficult enough.

One thing to really consider when buying a cheaper helmet for open top applications is aerodynamics.

I haven't come across a cheap motorbike helmet that is halfway decent in terms of aerodynamics (you're head shaking, buffering or the helmet even lifting at a certain speed).
    People often underestimate how uncomfortable and even dangerous this can be.

All that can be neglected on closed cars, but on open top stuff it's really relevant.

Other important detail for the open top, single seater application: make sure that the size of the aperture (not the visor itself, but the hole behind you look through) is FIA spec (it's smaller than standard motorbike helmets and therefore not road legal!), you'll be thankful when something small hits you (a bolt at Silverstone last time I was there...).

Last but not least:
    If you're serious enough to climb in a single seater, get something with HANS posts and a neck safety device.

Don't buy on the CF looks alone, buy a quality helmet that fits you well and is suitable for the requirement.

Sorry for the long post, but this isn't as straightforward as it may seem.

What sort of budget would you want to spend?

Edit: never buy a helm without trying figment first!

5. Thanks for all the responses, very helpful! Especially the nod towards, Koden.

Unlikely I'll get much seat time in a single seater, but on the odd occasion I do, it would be nice to know my lid is up to the job! I'll mostly be in my 275. But with that said, for the sake of c.£30, I will have the HANS posts fitted.

I do agree in not buying carbon for looks alone, but when the choice is a Carbon Hedtec Onyx for £400-odd all in, or a generic polar white lid for the same money, I'd rather have something a bit different (silly I know, but just my thinking.. plus it has to be lighter/stronger, no?).

I know I'm probably going overboard, but I'm a big believer in buying the best you can afford. Plus after witnessing some horrendous knocks, I don't want to skimp out on safety gear. Budget for me at the moment that would be under £300 for non-carbon, and I would say up to £500 for carbon.

6. Carbon helmets are not per se lighter or stronger than others, just because they're carbon.

I genuinely appreciate why people like Carbon helmets (my racing helmet is full carbon, but a bit out of budget here), but you increase budget by over 60% just because it's CF?

For £500, my look would go to the classic Arai GP6 (proven, works well, spares are available), or have a look at the new budget carbon helmet OMP GP8 (which is heavier than my non CF Stilo tuition helmet).

7. I've got a V2 Supervent, quite cheap, well rated, with hans posts.

8. Great stuff, got loads of ideas now. Thanks to all those who responded!

I looked into Koden but it's proving tricky to track anyone down who actually sells them? :tearsofjoy:

With that said though, I think I've got my shortlist:
    Hedtec, Koden, RRS, and V2... If only I could try them for fit and function before buying!

Already looked at the CF OMP GP8 & Arai GP6 - They're solid options, but at £700 or thereabouts they're just out of reach for me at the moment.

9. If you go Koden, i'd suggest getting the next size up to the one you usually need