advice needed! !

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by chris225, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Hi, I purchased a 2007 renault megane 225 5 door, 3 weeks ago. I paid 5700 for the car, 1300 cash and the rest on finance.
    Its done 64k with full service history.3 months warranty. On buying the car the dealer agreed to replace all belts and give it 12 months mot!
    3 weeks and 400 miles later the following problems have occurred. After driving home I noticed there was only 4 nuts in the wheels! They had forgotten to put the locking wheels nuts back in on all 4 wheels! Flooded passenger footwell! If I give it a little, the rear window gets steamed up and covered in spits on water Coming out of exhaust! Now to top it all off its started grinding at the rear under braking. Had a look when I got home and the inside pad is nothing! Metal on disc. Totally scored and fucked the disc. The drivers side rear inside pad also has hardly nothing left but not metal just yet! This car came with a 12 month mot, no advisories!
    Did they change the belts like agreed when purchased? Getting them checked tomorrow! Sorry about the long rant but really pissed
    Can I reject the car having it for only 3 weeks? Dont know if I trust them to fix all the problems! The mechanic who looked at it tonight said the rear brakes were shocking! How did it pass a mot!

2. When you say dealer is it a renault garage? As for the pads they shiuknt of passed an mot so if it's a fidget ticket you can report them unless they swap the pads and discs for you.
    Rear window is just down to the car, mine mists up when I put my foot down as does everyone else's.

3. Not a renault dealer just a independent used car dealer. Cool about the window steaming up. Was worried something was wrong!
    Brakes are the main problem as I know about the common flooding footwell. But all in 3 weeks!

4. R26

R26

It's a bit crap but I don't think you can reject the car yet. The garage will have to rectify the faults tho and you have to wonder what else they've missed off the mot if they can't even spot duff brakes. I'd take it to another garage and get everything checked and get a written report. At least you have finance against the car so you have some protection.

5. Cheers for your advice mate, much appreciated

6. you should have 28 days cooling off period for your finance, look into that quick and tell the finance company you are having problems and may wish to cancel

7. I'd be on that quick too? Sounds like an expensive car, it should be absolutely mint at that price! I'd give 12 months warranty on mine if someone paid £8k (+finance?)

8. I can second the window steamiong issue when flooring it (especially in cold). A car from a dealer should have at least a months warranty on it so id take it back to him

9. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Terrible garage and shoddy standards but most of what you say is either normal for a meg or wear and tear so it's all easily sortable mate

10. Legally they are obliged to give you6 months if a dealer ( main / franchise or trading as a car dealer )

11. Thanks for everyone's input. The car did come with a 3 month parts only warranty. But after speaking to another car dealer. Genuine! Not worth the paper there written on apparently! He said stating the sales of goods act 19?? They dont have a leg to stand on. Every thing happening so soon after purchase! Flooded footwell is common ect. The main gripe is the brakes and how it passed an mot with not even an advisory. . Checking belts tonight so ill let you if they were replaced.

12. Well didnt dig to deep as was freezing outside! But looks as cambelt is new! But serpentine belt is the original renault one and looking worn! So much for agreeing to change all belts!
    See what they say tommorrow.

13. Keep us informed :smile:

14. I note I was not quite correct, a car dealer is not obliged to offer any warranty with the sale of a car, it's completely voluntary but as they've offered it to you it is a legal document so I'd check the T&Cs.

the sales of goods act 1979 inc amendments states that the burden of proof is placed upon the dealer for the first 6 months after purchase. So if the customer makes a claim in the first 6 months the dealer will have to prove your vehicle was correct when it left the garage, showroom.

This said if the MOT has not raised the brake discs you have a legal right to go back to the dealer, regardless of the T&CS of his 3 month warranty. If the brakes have been flagged as heavily worn and unroadworthy after only 3 weeks and replacement is necessary then you would be covered by this act as it's not reasonable to state that u caused the excessive wear in the short time.

The wet footwell may be covered by this but I'm not sure if this would ever be flagged by an MOTmaybe others can shed some light as I recall it's got something to do with blockedscuttled drains,

while his warranty may be worthless your legal rights aren't and the hassle or suggestion of the legalities may force him to just replace them. It might not be guaranteed without involving a solicitor but then you can always inform the OFT if you feel you have been treated unfairly. It's bad press either way for him in a time when car dealers are featuring in the news for selling unroadworthy bad condition cars.

a useful link : http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1242.pdf

15. Cheers pagey. :smile:

16. Well phoned up today and spoke to chap who sold it to me. In a smug tone he said the cam belt has been changed! To which I said yes but not all the others which were agreed. Is his own words on the day " you might as well change all the belts if your changing the timing belt" then why didnt you? All he could say was bring it in saturday and we'll have a look! Talking to me like im a mug! Ive got everything written down, every phone call ect! He tried telling me the rear pads were fine when it went through the mot and must have been a seized caliper that wore the pad down to metal. When i told him the other has hardly nothing left on it so both rear calipers must of seized at the same time in the last 3 weeks!
    He didnt know what to say and went silent for a while!

17. Sounds like a nightmare. How do these wankers sleep??

18. It is mate, dropped it back off today so they can fix everything. List was
    1, engine mount
    2, rear discs and pads. And to investigate why inside pads wore down to nothing
    3, clear scuttle drains and dry all interior. Foam out ect
    4, serpentine belt and water pump
    The way he was talking to me I think hes expecting me to pay or contribute! Kept mentioning ware and tear! Lol
    Thats a fair bit of ware and tear owning the car 1 month and 400 miles.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  19. Well it sounds like it's gonna get sorted, hope he does it all properly and doesnt mess about any more. Let's us know when it comes back

20. Will do :smile:

21. R26

R26

Wear and tear my arse. Glad you're getting it sorted. Hopefully it'll all turn out great in the end and you can start enjoying your car as you deserve.

22. Well cars back, new discs and pads, new belts and scuttles clear and working, floor and foam also dry and smelling nice.
    Hopefully ill never have to deal with them cowboys again!,

23. Glad it's sorted mate, now you can start enjoying it!