250 engine rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Nearly finished on youre cylinder head. If I have time I will try and get rid if the polishing marks, they look pretty bad but its now all quite smooth. Id say alot of welding was done to build it back up during the repair. Couple of air pockets here and there which are not fixable.
    Before and after :sunglasses:

20180304_103823.jpg

20180304_103922.jpg

20180304_103927.jpg

20180304_103932.jpg

20180304_103936.jpg

20180304_155750.jpg

20180304_155804.jpg

20180304_155809.jpg

20180304_155814.jpg

20180304_155818.jpg

dub16, Paul21, Mikeyjp and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nice work there mate, nice to see you have been hard at work today :sunglasses:

Car is nearly ready, just cleaned it, but it is still playing up will have another look in a minute :angry:

Big Uno likes this.
  3. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Any idea whats up? Is it still that same problem?

4. Yes still the same problem, stop and let it tick over, go to pull away and the throttle does nothing, turn off remove the key restart and is okay again.

5. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

What about free revving is the throttle opening normally?

6. No, when it stops it stops altogether only idle, switch off and back to normal, just taken it back to the workshop and it's spot on :angry:

7. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thats quite strange. Have you checked connections to all sensors?

8. Good luck, I’ve been round Spa with him, take some spare boxers with you

Big Uno and Paul21 like this.
  9. Went and Met Ian at oulton park today. Was his passenger for the whole track day. Great bloke. Awesome car and a awesome driver!

Big Uno likes this.
  10. Is his car sorted now, what power has it got now

11. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Top bloke, top car, hope the head does you well mate!

Paul21 likes this.
  12. Ian what power is your car producing now mate

13. I'll let ian fill you in on the power, As he hasn't got the power he was expecting to have at the moment.

14. Only made 310hp, needs a fuel system upgrade, or a swirl pot setup, so will have to see what happens as i need to have it running for Spa again, so might have to wait till after then :angry:

15. Great to meet you Paul, i had a great day as well, apart from all the bloody race cars getting in the way :laughing:
    You have a steady drive back then ????
    I was alright till about 30 miles from home when it started raining, it got heavier and heavier not good on part worn semi slicks :dizzy::dizzy:

Paul21 likes this.
  16. Cheers Karl
    Great to put a face to 500 plus pm's :dizzy: :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Engine looks the mutts in the flesh, does make a great feature in the lounge :sunglasses:
    Not sure if i will fit the head before Spa, my work load is stupid at the moment so i think it will have to wait :sob:

Big Uno likes this.
  17. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thats what I was thinking :tearsofjoy: it is a cool feature :sunglasses: if rst hurry up hopefully it wont be sat around much longer :rage:

18. Why what are you waiting for from them :laughing::laughing::laughing:

19. Are you still running the charge cooler Ian

20. Yes its still on there and working great :sunglasses:

Paul21 and Big Uno like this.
  21. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Something to make use of that bosch pump :tearsofjoy:

22. Ahh yes with 11bar it must be a jet thruster :sunglasses:

23. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

If I ever get it :tearsofjoy:

24. Was great to me you finally. Drive was fine back, not really much traffic at all. How long did it take you to get back?. Them race cars were bloody frustrating, thinking they own the track. If you would have had the extra power you were supposed to, they would have been no where near you!

ianplymouth and Big Uno like this.
  25. Okay not updated this for a long while.

I fitted the 250 head back on along with a newly rebuilt turbo due to a foreign object being found in the intake pipe.

This time i choose to go to EFI for the map tweek, as it seemed a bit of an effort for RS to do the mapping, then 5 days before i was to go to EFI and only 30 miles after the head was refitted, the silly bit of fibre that's on the chassis leg near the alternator got caught in the belt, this then shredded and took the cam belt out, So thanks to Nick @ Pure Motorsport i got a new set of Supertec valves within a couple of days.
    New valves fitted, head back on and engine refitted, drove to EFI for Chris to work his magic, the car was rolling road tested ad it was found to be running very lean, enough for Chris not to do a full power run, the result was that it was indicating power in the region of 260bhp :dizzy: and not the 310 RS told me it was running :rage:
    Chris spent a great deal of time fine adjusting and the result was 310bhp and wow what a difference but still no right, the conclusion was that the exhaust was restricting the flow.

So once home i fudged an adaptor to plug in the second lamba sensor, red line, full throttle in forth showed 4 psi back pressure, so once again Nick @ Pure Motorsport came to the rescue a turbo back free flow system was fitted.

A week later i was back to EFI for an adjustment, we gained another 8hp not what was expected, with the turbo, forged rods, pistons etc should have been 360hp minimum, the only conclusion now is that the compression ratio is too high, maybe i have been supplied the wrong pistons, going to wait till the winter before pulling the engine out again, already been taken out three times this year alone. drove on to Anglesey for a track day, had a great time and the car ran really well.

Booked to do a trackday at Snetterton, never been before, met James275 and a few others there, had a great day until mid afternoon, just comming onto the start finish straight and boom the turbo shatt itself.

So that's it i'm done with this car now, going to put it back to standard, still have the original engine, exhaust, seats etc etc, so will have some bits to sell soon, TD1.3 wheels X2 a set of TD1.2's , pure Motorsport exhaust and i am sure there will be some other bits, these parts wont fit the new/ replacement car so wont be needed.

So this is the end of this chapter, another one will start very soon, as early as next week, the replacement car is a Mk3 265 hope this holds up better than the Inferno has.

Trophyboy, Big Uno and James275 like this.
  26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Shame to hear its the end of the road with it Ian!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with the MK3 thiugh, at least it should be a bit more reliable haha, plans for it?

Big Uno likes this.
  27. I didn't want to give up on it because of the amount of money and time i spent on it, there always seems to be something else waiting to wrong with it, i have had at least 5 trackdays spoilt in the last year, so this was the last straw for me, shame as i like the way it handles its so forgiving if you get it wrong, a bit of lift off oversteer sorts it out.

Will have to see how i get on with this one, no plans yet as its got 3 month warranty and don't want to tempt fate till i know its okay, cant see any reason as it has so much paperwork with it.

See you at Donington :sunglasses:

Big Uno and -Jamie- like this.
  28. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I still cant believe the bad luck you have had over and over again, really feel for you mate, and I dont blame you for calling it a day after all that. It is a shame though after all the work!

Lets hope your luck changes with the mk3, the warrenty will give you time to get all the new bits for it :smilingimp::sunglasses:

29. Cheers Karl, it was a hard decision, hope i can salvage some money back when i sell some of the parts that wont fit the Mk3, but it was fun when it was working :laughing::laughing:

Big Uno likes this.