250 engine rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 8, 2017.

1. fantastic news, bet you cant wait to get it back out on the road again

2. No can't wait, should be this weekend :sunglasses:

3. Awesome work Ian, that first drives gonna put a big grin on your face even if you’re only running it in

4. What sort of power are you aiming for

5. cheers mate, hopefully will get out this weekend, had a big grin when it started :sunglasses:

6. been told i should be looking at 380-400hp, that should do for a while :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Jonny157 and Paul21 like this.
  7. Not much progress tonight as i was late finishing my work, did put the drivers seat back in, along with the stereo and my new gauges, but it looks like the oil temp sensor is duff, think i have another but it's a shit t get to now as the rads etc are in.
    Was going to fit the front bumper tonight, but i thought i would check the fog lights, horn, front and rear washers, as when i put the DCi all back together the washers wouldn't work, so had to pull the bumper off again, well it's a good job i checked, the washers front, rear and the headlight don't work, also one fog light not working, checked it through and it looks like i have 3 wires that are broken, so that is now gong to be tomorrows job.

sunnylunn and Trophyboy like this.
  8. That's what I'm worried about when I come to refit my loom as it doesn't look in the best condition and looks brittle.

Seriously contemplating buying a new loom for £230 :weary:

9. i suppose i am quite lucky that i can make a loom, its only the plugs i don't have, but the original will do :laughing:

10. A man of many talents

11. Okay all sorted with the headlight loom, they must use shit wire as you can't solder it, found that one if the pins in the fuse box plug had popped out of it's holder, the wire for the washers had already had a repair so made a better repair now.
    I still couldn't get the side lights to work, checked all the of the wires but still nothing, pulled the side light lamps out and both are blown, they were working before i removed the bumper, so out come the LED's and standard lamps went in, all now working.
    so checked all the lights etc and now the fog light has started working as well.
    So bumper is now back on, inner arches in, started the engine ran it up, got it up to temperature checked it underneath for any oil or coolant leaks, all good so wheels on removed from the axle stands, wheels torqued, ready for a test drive tomorrow.

Paul21 likes this.
  12. Well don’t keep us in suspense, have you driven it yet then?

13. No going out very soon, home jobs to do first :openmouth:

14. Just got back from my first drive with the rebuilt engine, 133.5 miles, the bit i can't understand is i was driving like a saint didn't go over 2.5k rpm, very light foot, no boost well maybe 2psi max by accident and all i got was 26.7mpg, whats it going to be like when i give it some, i have seen it down to 8mpg around Spa, bet that's going to drop a bit more now :laughing::laughing:

my journey was from Plymouth to Exeter, then on too Oakhampton, nearly anyway, then into Tavistock, Callington, Liskeard, turned around and headed back to Tavistock then home, stopped at Kit hill on the way back [​IMG]

The weather was all over the place, brilliant sunshine, then hail, sleet, snow and rain, car looks a right mess because of the shite and salt on the road.

Car ran very well, stopped after about 10 miles just to check it over, there was a smell of burning i think it was the new wrapping on the decat pipe, it 's all good now can't smell anything.
    It pulls very well it just want's to go, but dropped it a gear and took the revs up a bit more rather than labour it.

When i came out of Liskeard a Fiesta ST was glued too my ass, i didn't bite, but i didn't slow down for the corners either, with a very light amount of snow on the ground and on semi slicks within 3-4 corners no ST, such a shame was looking for a bit of fun.

Going to book RS and OUlton Park now, anyone else interested, looking at the 7th March :sunglasses: also looking at a Chinese Chinese, not a English Chinese in Middlewitch

Victor, Paul21 and Big Uno like this.
  15. mine does 25-27 with mixed driving.
    drops into single figures at max attack.
    270hp/290lb/ft.

bit bizarre yours is doing that MPG with tickled throttle.
    rolling road required..

16. Hi Andrew
    I need to run it in first before i get it back to RS for a map tweak, when it was last done at RS it was running 305bhp and cruising i would get 28-30 ish mpg and that's cruising around 80 mph
    I am looking to get it all sorted at the beginning of March, rolling road and Oulton :sunglasses:

17. I’d like to come to oulton for a passenger ride

Post the date and I’ll see if my mate can make it to in his track r26.

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

This should certainly fly with your expected figures now Ian! Looking forward to seeing it all back to full health.
    You planning Spa in Oct again?

19. No problem mate :laughing:, i have put a post up in the track day listing

20. Yes could do Jamie, i am booked on one in November, paid £199 might be wet but should be fun

-Jamie- likes this.
  21. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cool, Ive already booked the Mon and plan on the Tues as well and then Zolder on the Wed. Missus is coming with me this year so that should be interesting....

22. That sounds like a good plan, was wanting to do other tracks abroad, do you have to pre book Zolder

23. who have you book with ??

24. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

All with Circuit days again :smile:

25. Okay, as there is also one towards the end of the month on a Monday and Tuesday

26. Booked both :sunglasses:

27. Nice to see that you have this all sorted!

28. Been out again today done another 200 miles, went down to Lands End turn around and drove back, had a slight issue after giving it a quick boot, i then lost boost, could only get 5psi max, stopped to have a look and it was only the actuator arm had come off the wastegate, burnt fingers and now back to normal :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  29. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Must be nearly ready for the map now! :sunglasses: hope your not blaming that actuator :tonguewink:

30. It's all booked, still got 3 weeks to get another couple hundred miles on it, it looks like the clip had come off so my fault, maybe :laughing:

Big Uno likes this.
  31. Had a call on Friday that my cylinder head was ready for collection, couldn't get there till lunch time on Monday, but i now have it

Before
    IMG_20171019_153240_zpsiqp83pqc.jpg

After :sunglasses:
    [​IMG]

and the repair done to the hydraulic tappet pockets

[​IMG]

4 months with another company and didn't finish the job, so collected the head and took it to a company in Plymouth, told them not to rush as i had the 197 head fitted and they had it 7 days , Result :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  32. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Like a new head! Great stuff! Did you ask how much they had to mill off :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If you want a polish and volume check let me know :sunglasses:

33. It does look good shame they couldn't have done the other bits as well, live and learn.

Thanks might take you up on that offer, as you will be stuck for something to do once you have yours up and running.:sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  34. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

No problem at all, hope it doesnt come out better than mine :tearsofjoy:

Guess you know who to go to next time then :sunglasses: well... hopefully there is no next time :sweatsmile:

35. Picked up a pair of new rear disc's today as i was getting a bit annoyed at the rumbling the drivers side bearing was making, disc's were in good condition but just the noise, there wasn't any play in the bearing and it had been like it for 2 years, so should be a quieter run up to RS on Tuesday :sunglasses:
    I went out last Sunday and only managed 80 odd miles, was hoping to get out this weekend but not sure yet this weather and semi slicks might not be a good idea :laughing::laughing:

Paul21 and Big Uno like this.
  36. I don't envy you driving to RS Tuning next week.

I know they're closed today because of the weather.

37. They were closed, but a guy on here and another made the trip to keep there appointments and found them closed, they never got a call to say they were closed so contacted Paul and now there getting sorted :sunglasses:

It wont bother me driving all that way, weather isn't looking to bad Tuesday

38. Yeah saw that on the Facebook pages.

39. Apparently they were open yesterday and the weather was worst then, not to bad today and closed but the biggest thing was no phone call :rage:

40. Yeah that's not ideal.