250 engine rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Nov 8, 2017.

1. I thought i would start a new thread with the rebuilding of my 250 engine that's fitted to my mk1 225.
    After it dropping an exhaust valve at Spa and making quite a mess of number one piston and the cylinder head, time i think for forging it, so these turned up today :sunglasses:

IMG_20171108_192848_zpsnok8erzw.jpg
    IMG_20171108_192823_zpsrtbh4xs7.jpg

Along with these :sunglasses:

IMG_20171108_193141_zpsrz0dvlrg.jpg

These turned up a couple of days ago, but are missing the collets, so waiting for them and then they can go to the guy who is refurbishing the cylinder head.

Exhaust valves
    IMG_20171108_193456_zpsit9mvkb4.jpg

IMG_20171108_193507_zpsgsfw63sh.jpg

and inlets
    IMG_20171108_193557_zpsuvszlna3.jpg

IMG_20171108_193605_zpsvc4mh1zb.jpg

It is such a shame that all these nice shiny parts are going to be hidden.

Still waiting for for more parts to come.

So first thing Monday the block is going in for re boring so to get the ball rolling :sunglasses:

Cazper, Paul21, Trophyboy and 4 others like this.
  2. So what's the cost going to be for the full build

3. :sob::sob::sob::sob: i don't want to really think about that

But the 16 new valves were £500.10 delivered
    Pistons and rods were £829
    then there are the gaskets, new cam belt etc, mains and big ends and the rebore will be from a local engine builder so not sure yet.

4. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Great stuff!!
    Looks like we are doing almost the same build :sunglasses: if you need anything just give me a shout!!
    Also have you managed to find standard torques for all engine?? Been unable to find anything so far!

5. Yes i have most, but i have the most important one, will try and PM them over to you, i have tried to put them on here but it won't work for some reason.

6. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks that would be really appreciated!
    At a loss trying to find the Renault big end and main bearing clearences also! Although they are usually fairly generic would be good to know.

7. Engine block and my pistons were taken in for boring this morning, also dropped the crank off to get that balanced, thought while it was all apart might as well.

Big Uno likes this.
  8. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Have you decided on what bearings you are going for?

9. The guy that is doing the reboring is going to supply me with some ACL bearings, he builds engines for racing, mainly classic mini's been doing it for years so going with his advice.

Big Uno likes this.
  10. Picked up my block this morning along with the crank, crank was in for balancing, but he said it was spot on and didn't need touching, he did polish the bearing surfaces up for me.
    Apparently ACL don't make bearings for the F4r engines, so he got me a set of King bearings :sunglasses:, so just because some of you are painting your parts before reassembling, i might do some painting as well, but will see how it goes :laughing::laughing:

Trophyboy and Big Uno like this.
  11. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thats good news for the crank, did you weight your rods and pistons? I meant to weight my stock rods too just to check the difference to the PEC ones but mine are now gone so dont have the chance!
    Also are the king main bearings you have with or without the tang? I was unable to get the without tang type so went with another maker as I didnt fancy milling the slots into the block :grin:

Will look forward to seeing your colour schemes :sunglasses:

12. He said Renault cranks are very well balanced and don't need balancing, so that saved me some rubble's, i only picked them up this morning, was planning to do some work in the workshop tonight but never got that far, should be able to get there over the weekend hopefully.
    Not even looked at the bearings, just picked the parts up, will have a look later and if need be i will return them or get the angle grinder out :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I can weigh the old and new con rods and also the pistons to see what the difference is.
    Not sure on the colour scheme yet might just go boring :blush:

13. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I have heard the same from other people and forums about the cranks being good.

I hadnt got the mineralis for cutting the tangs in :sweatsmile: could do it just didnt want to take the risk.

If you do get round to a weigh in would love to see the old vs new, and how yours balance up together, need to get mine done too just trying to find a decent set of scales in that range!

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nice one Ian, good to see this coming back better than it was.

Now you have a strong engine, Any more plans for turning the boost up some more

15. hi Jamie
    That is in hand :sunglasses: told i should be looking at 380-400bhp, so that will suit me fine :laughing:

16. I will weigh them and put the results up

Big Uno likes this.
  17. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Cheers Ian!

Guessing your going for a bigger turbo? Or are you not spilling the beans on that :mask:

18. Yes a bigger turbo, but they recon i can still have it tractable, with torque and power right across the rev range :sunglasses:

Big Uno likes this.
  19. Hahaha gotta be done Ian :laughing::laughing:

20. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Should be interesting :tonguewink: im going down that road too, but its probably going to end up gutless at the bottom end and all at the top. Looking forward to seeing what your doing!

ianplymouth likes this.
  21. sure has to be done, with all this work and money to get this far, but then don't want to start having to change gearbox's etc by going for stupid power, it then gets difficult to keep a nice spread of power.

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Haha yeah that should work in a Mk2!

I think I'm going to go down a similar setup as Artur has in his Clio but i expect that to be next winters upgrade, 400/420 in mine would be ideal. Shall need the extra power to make up for the weight of the cage thats going in after New year

23. That's what i don't want, it was so nice to have a huge spread of torque across the rev range and i am willing to loose some bhp to keep that.

24. I must admit that is one very seriously nice Clio, so you going down the Clio route then ???
    I might have to loose some weight to take full advantage of the extra power then :laughing::laughing:

25. He’s not going Clio, he’s going for a similar turbo setup. Got something in the works atm....

I have weighed 225, 250 and forged rods, also 225 and 250 pistons. Will share later as it’s on my laptop.

-Jamie-, Trophyboy and ianplymouth like this.
  26. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

As above. EFR powered Megane is the way i want to go.

Be glad to get rid of the TD04 tbh, its decent enough but really not upto the task when compared to the newer turbos

Big Uno likes this.
  27. Following this thread with interest, think I’ll be getting a spare engine to build up over winter

ianplymouth and Big Uno like this.
  28. Okay here is some pics of the stuff i have weighed today :laughing:
    Wossner piston
    IMG_20171118_134839_zpsqh5gfyub.jpg

PEC rod
    IMG_20171118_134937_zpsft9lh085.jpg

IMG_20171118_145738_zpsots66h12.jpg

29. Standard 250 piston
    IMG_20171118_135254_zpssjz3chp9.jpg

Standard 250 rod
    IMG_20171118_135305_zps7mitpp5s.jpg

IMG_20171118_152226_zps3gkbtmrw.jpg

Big Uno likes this.
  30. Standard 225 piston
    IMG_20171118_151754_zpsabdkw6br.jpg

Standard 225 rod
    IMG_20171118_151834_zpsx7lgro7p.jpg

IMG_20171118_152226_zps3gkbtmrw.jpg

Big Uno likes this.
  31. And from left to right, forged, 250 and 225
    IMG_20171118_152409_zpshhmlgcwc.jpg

left to right 225, 250 and forged
    IMG_20171118_152441_zps5fp0vrsh.jpg

Big Uno likes this.
  32. and someone on here said the 225 and 250 rods were the same size :openmouth:
    225 rod
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20171118_152716_zpsbtqgim0h.jpg

250 rod
    IMG_20171118_152640_zpsqrz4wgw3.jpg
    IMG_20171118_152732_zpszlk2z7ts.jpg

Genty, markoc, Nigelo and 1 other person like this.
  33. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Thanks for posting these up Ian! Was expecting the aftermarket parts to be considerably heavier!? At least thats how they have felt to me handling them but the size of the rods might trick you into thinking it. So thats good news the assembly is almost the same weight.

How did the new pistons and rods match up to each other? I will try and post mine too if you want to compare as soon as I get hold of some scales!

34. My scales don't really do less than a gram, i use these for cooking normally, but are more accurate than the wife's dial version, the paperwork states they are within 2 grams of each other, i think by the time i put them all together with the rings and wrist pins there was a max 2 gram difference between all of them, i am happy with that.
    Did fit the crank and main caps, not torqued them as i forgot the oil injectors, so need to get them ordered.

35. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I am curious about the Renault rods and pistons, did you check how they are matched?
    I dont think 2g deviation of 1055g is going to cause any problems, not at 6500rpm anyway.
    I have some that are accurate to 0.001 but of course the range is only between 0 and 100g, and the kitchen scales I have... well... accurate to one egg or two :sweatsmile:.

Looks like you are about to overtake me on the build!

36. In what way do you mean matched ???, there was about 5 grams between the 225 and 250 set up, if i was going to up the red line then i might have had them closer to each other.
    I don't think i will be overtaking you, i am still waiting for my collets for the valves, my car is outside my workshop cuz the wife's Dci 175 is in there with the engine out and that has to be done ASAP.

37. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Sorry I meant variation between the 4 rods / pistons from 225 or 250.

Yeah Id imagine the 175 has taken priority :sweatsmile:

38. well i can only do it for 3 rods and pistons :sob: you have seen the 250 piston and the 225 piston had a chunk out of it when i bought it.

Yes it is taking priority, but i will need some parts so will have a bit of time to put most of my engine back together and leave to one side till this is back in
    IMG-20171116-WA0000_zpsjerpph4w.jpg

39. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

I guessed you only had the 3 250 pistons :tearsofjoy:

Have you got any further finding the damage with the diesel lump??

40. No, not found anything that looks like it could have caused the fail, pulling the crank out tomorrow, number 3 big end failed one half of the shell rode over the other, so i am going to have to pull the head off again to get the piston and rod out, i found a brand new crank for £295 and a rod for £42 oil pump £78 better than 225 or 250 prices