225 Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Dom225, Sep 20, 2018.

1. what is the current opinion on 225 brake upgrades..

Took my meg out last night for its first spirited drive and dissapointingly it suffered massive brake fade and the pads caught fire twice.. bit disappointing for a car that is stock bar a filter, springs and some track tyres.

Discounting ebc I’m definitely not a fan what are good options..

It does zero to little commuting as I have a new car for that. Mainly spirited driving, track days and we’re off to the ring end of October.

My instinct is ds2500? Ran those on my old saxo track tool admittedly with 280mm brakes but they were excellent but chewed a stock set of discs in two cadwell days?

Carbon Lorraine seem to get good reviews but that noise goes through me..

What’s the suggestions?

2. Fluid flush should be your first step.
    Often over looked.Get some Motul RBF600 in there.
    1 bottle would be enough,but get 2 just incase.

PF Z rated pads seem to be a very good compromise for pads.
    Lots using them on road and track with good results.
    Brembo blank disks can be had for not much,if you disks look tired.

I have Carbotech XP8 pads in mine.
    Epic pad,but dusty,expensive and noisy.

I have ds2500 in the rear of mine,and to be honest find they performed no better than the horrible EBC yellowstuff i had in there before.

3. I looked at carbotech do they screach like cl?

Fluid will be done at same time while I have it on the ramp

4. they dont screech..they can grind a little at low speed stops.
    They are a epic pad..but the dust as with all carbon pads ,is very harsh on wheels,and would need to be removed regular.

order direct from carbotech..but you will be looking at £220.

Good fluid is essential..SRF has best temps..but expensive.
    RBF not to far behind,and whats in my car.

My car on XP8`s,brembo blanks and RBF600 will put you through the windscreen,with no fade.

Dom225 likes this.
  5. i have run CL pads in the past, 5's, 6's and 8's, the 8's were criminal in braking, didn't last that long though, using PF z rated as they are the best for the money.

6. how do you find these on track?

7. By Brembo blanks do you mean stock discs Brembo manufacture?

All pads seem in the range of 120-200 just need to decide which is the right pad/compromise for my use

8. yep brembo stock disks..can be had for £80-ish.
    For value for money and performance,it does seem the PF Z rated get nothing but high praise for road and track.

9. The 6's and 8's were great on track, never had any issues with brake fade

10. George@RTR Parts

George@RTR Parts RSM Trader RSM Trader

I can help with your brakes @Dom225 , drop me a message mate and will get some info/options for you

11. I have gone with pf z-rated, braided lines and motul fluid for now see how I get on

12. if you aint changing the disks..rub the faces down with some emmery paper before swapping in the new pads.
    Just to avoid any possible cross pad contamination.

13. Cross pad contamination is a new one on me? What’s theory behind that.

14. Different pads are made from different materials.
    If you swap one type for another,the new pad can pick up debris from the previous compound from the disk face
    ,and potentially glaze the pad over.