2010 Megane RS 250 cup

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by Nigelo, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Better late than never - here's a wee thread about my glacier white RS 250 cup!

Had the performance car bug from the age that I could read the badges on the back of passing cars, GTE, GTI, RS turbo, XR234i, and possible even from the age I could count the number of exhausts.

Once I had a job, I bought a V6 hyundai coupe, which got an air filter, exhaust, springs and alloys.

coupe.jpg

Next up was a Mazda 3 MPS aero in red, before anyone knew anything about them (I suspect there might be some who are on here from the MPS forum though!). It was fun being on the front edge of modifying them, and it got intake, inlet pipe, FMIC, fuel pump internals, decat, alloys, stage 2 map. Loved it until a minor rear end bump led to the engine and clutch being destroyed during the time it was meant to being repaired. Brand new full engine, but the whole experience sickened me (No one would take responsibility, was getting married and all money was going into that.

3mps.jpg

Nearly bought a MK2 focus RS after returning from honeymoon, just missed out so bought a e92 335i se. Again, it got the works.. and I even swapped in the M3 subframes and diff (swapped doesn't really describe the hassle, lol). Really regret selling it, it was perfect, but often too fast for small Northern Ireland backroads.

335i.jpg 335iex.jpg

I finally did get my focus RS, and stage 2+ tuned it. Loved it, the looks, the sound, the punch from the engine. Would never have sold it probably, despite it having its minor flaws, but moved house and needed the money tied up in it.

focusRS.jpg focusRS2.jpg

Which led me to the RS250. I was looking around for a car that had power and chassis capable enough to use it, while also being fun (so that I wouldn't be heartsick at losing the FocusRS). A low mileage (<30k) 2010 Megane RS250 cup appeared at a local dealer.

dealermeg.jpg

Apart from the Steevs it had zero options (no climate, comfort pack, no recaros, no xenon, no drl), which was a bit of a shock coming from 3 cars that were auto-everything, and were maxed out on the added-extras. I have to say, i'd probably have preferred a cup-equipped full fat as I like not thinking about ac, wipers, lights, keycards etc, and I love the look of the drls.

dealermeg2.jpg

First up was a panel filter (cant even remember the brand), then a remap (263bhp up to 317bhp and 342lbft). I really liked how it didnt overwhelm the car with torque, but just gave it a real rush the the redline.

Then some H&R springs and spacers (I know I know, but I really can't discern much if any difference!)

Im not sure if these pics are just springs, or or spacers too! :-)

springs.jpg spacer2.jpg

Plans for the future - get DRLs!!! Exhaust - decat? midboxchop? Something anyway. Haven't managed to give it a full detail as I have had a little one recently which is keeping me busy, but I will give it a full correction during the summer.

Tyres will need changed soon - I put RE050a's on it immediately as it came with dealership ditchfinders, but I got a bargain on 4 sport contact 6's (type R OEM tyres) so keen to try them.

Want to go gloss black on the alloys too!

C&C's always welcome!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Didnt know that they can come so less equipped really :smiley:
    Other than that its a nice low mileage one and looks clean, enjoy!

Nigelo likes this.
  3. Looking good mate, springs and spacers have made a big difference :grinning:

Nigelo likes this.
  4. Looking good. What spacers have you got and from where?

Midbox chop £50-£60
    Decat £150, fitting....shop around its not a nice job.

5. I went for 20mm H&R spacers front and back, bolt on hubcentric ones, rather than bolt-through ones with longer bolts. Had originally went for 15mm up front, but they didnt fit far enough onto the hubs as the centering ring on the hubs sticks out quite a way.

I prefer the idea of a decat as there'll be less back pressure and lower EGT, but keep thinking back to the 3MPS which would overboost dangerously if not carefully mapped (even then...). From what I've read, a few folks have decats without the specific map?

Need to get a Bowen-style front lip going too! :-D

Bowen likes this.
  6. looks good mate, where did you get the spacers from? Has the 20mm reduced the handling response at all?

7. Just off ebay - H&R spacers. I don't think they've made any difference to the handling' although 150kg of stones in the boot did lead to a little bit of arch scuffing...

8. As you fitted 20mm spacers, can you tell me is there some more room to use 25mm spacers or its going to be too wide and catching the arch? Wheels are with the same specs.

9. What suspension are you running? I'll dig a straight edge out tomorrow morning and take a few photos of how it lines up.

10. For now its stock Cup suspension. But some pictures "how much room is there" would be great! :smile:

11. No probs, will be back home around dinner time and will get some pics then! :-)

12. Looks a nice clean example. How is the ride nowwith H&r setup compared to standard cup suspension setup?

13. I'd say pretty much identical - maybe just slightly jigglier at very low speed.

14. @S4BiT

Here's those pics. The highest part of the face of the alloy sits out level with the bodywork at the top of the arch. The tyre just dips inside the arch (just about!!l

20160618_181305.jpg 20160618_181345.jpg 20160618_181422.jpg 20160618_181431.jpg 20160618_181440.jpg 20160618_181450.jpg 20160618_181528.jpg

HASLE and Paul21 like this.
  15. Thank you for the pictures! It looks like its total maximum to use 20mm under there with that wheel spec. I have two sets of 18" alloys with the same spec, so i know i cant use 25mm spacers as its going to be out of the arches.

Nigelo likes this.
  16. Did you use longer bolts with these too? Looks great

17. These spacers bolt onto the hubs directly (i had to buy bolts with lower profile heads so that they would not foul against the back of the alloys). You then bolt the alloys to the spacers. It does mean a lot of bolting going on, but prefered it to longer bolts just.

DavidM and Bowen like this.
  18. Few updates all rolled into one post

Wheels had been refurbed before, but the diamond-cut finish hadnt been sealed so was getting chewed rapidly.

So wheels in with polished alloys for the gloss black treatment. Design of the wheels is an 'acquired' taste so not really worried about losing any detail.

A work in progress shot
    img_6453-jpg.jpg

The finished article..
    img_6696-jpg.jpg

In the middle of all that, a yearly service...
    20160803_205859-jpg.jpg

Couple of wet days, but nabbed a quick pic with the refurbed alloys...
    blackalloys-jpg.jpg

Then thought i'd try a little colour to the front with a little pinstripiness!
    pinstripe-jpg.jpg

In the middle of doing a retrim of the interior... Getting my steering wheel reprofiled and retrimmed by Tiggy Design - got a wee work in progress pic today....
    img_6157-png.png

Paul21, Guy1, git-r and 1 other person like this.
  19. Really like the black wheels with white bodywork. Looks great at that height :smile:

Nigelo likes this.
  20. Really like the black wheels with white bodywork. Looks great at that height :smile:

21. Much better!

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk

Nigelo likes this.
  22. Nice updates.

Nigelo likes this.
  23. Wee update from TiggyDesign who are doing my wheel ... should be here next week!

IMG_6268.png IMG_6269.png IMG_6270.png IMG_6271.png

Jonny157 and Bowen like this.
  24. I thought for a second you'd go for white wheels ....

Nigelo likes this.
  25. Nigelo likes this.
  26. I like how they managed to curve in the cutaways in towards the buttons, classy move!

27. RS Monitor and retrimmed steering wheel both arrived today, but only had time to fit the RS monitor...

20160914_202555.jpg

I'm really impressed with the steering wheel, tiggydesign have basically made a work of art (to my petrolhead eyes anyway)

20160914_161549.jpg 20160914_161609.jpg 20160914_161659.jpg 20160914_161709.jpg

28. It looks like some seriously fat steering wheel now, how it feels under the hands, much better than OEM? If its not a secret, how much this kind of work costs? And ofcourse congrats for the RS-monitor, it really is a nice little extra :wink:

29. It feels like my MSport wheel I had on my 335i - nice and chunky. I have 'long' hands and fingers and although not too bad, the original RS250 one meant my hands where really folded around it.

It smells so good too... :openmouth:

30. Oh, and it was £240 with me supplying the steering wheel. Pricier than a straight retrim, but that was for the flat bottom, thicker, and remolded shape.

31. Got it fitted there without blowing myself up..... Win!

20160916_171426.jpg 20160916_171438.jpg 20160916_171452.jpg 20160916_171501.jpg 20160916_171509.jpg

Right, now someone find me a leather electric drivers seat!!!

Paul21 and scoobyr like this.
  32. That is a master piece mate. Love it. Looks lovely in the car

Megane 265 trophy. Liquid yellow. Rs monitor, fabric recoro seats
    Ds pads front and rear, k-tec braided lines all round, cat back scorpion mid-box delete

Nigelo likes this.
  33. I've been on the lookout for an age, but I finally managed to get 2x drl units and ballasts for a good price - should arrive this week! Yay!!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    StephRS and Meganemike like this.
  34. How did you get the rs mnitor ? I thought this was nearly impossible to get or update from normal monitor ????

35. Managed to get a 2nd hand one from a member on here. Seems getting a preprogrammed early model rs monitor from a car being broken for parts is currently the only way. :pensive:

36. Finally managed to get my leather electric seats, but on plugging the driver side in, it is giving me the check airbag light.

20180129_193425.jpg

I thought initially the side airbag has an issue as the seat has a slight bulge on the side. But it seems that there is a strong possibility that the wiring / connector under the seat might be to blame.

Any thoughts / knowledge on this?

37. Got the airbag warning wired out... seems the electric leather have an airbag less than the cloth? Still to sort the puzzle of the heated switches not working.

In other news though, bought a (barely) second hand akrapovic exhaust from a v pleasant man called Duncan, who recently bought it from KTec. Hopefully it will arrive next week and I'll see how it works with my decat!

38. Did you manage to workout the heated seat issue? Mines got retro fitted Lux leather and mines the same All the electrics work but not the heated part! Do you think it needs Clip to activate it on the Canbus?