'05 Scenic 2.0 T upgrades

Discussion in 'Other Projects' started by gazserm, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Hey guys! I have a 2005 Scenic with the 2.0 T engine (mostly the same as the one in the Megane II RS, my engine code is F4R 776 and the one in the Megane RS is F4R 774 as far as I know) and I'm looking into possible upgrades. First off, I want to get a proper exhaust for my car, but for that I need to know whether the exhaust parts of my Scenic and of the Megane RS 225 are the same or not (or at least interchangable or not), especially from the turbo to the rear silencer). I have my eye on a Milltek catback..... Can anyone help me out with this? I couldn't seem to be able to find oem part numbers for the exhaust components, but I'll check with my local Renault dealer soon. Till then, if anyone could help me wit some info or maybe a couple pics of the bottom of a Megane RS 225, I'd be rather grateful! (Picks with size measurements would be great, then I could just lift my car up and check myself :tongueout:). To finish off my essay with something more interesting, the long(er) term goal is first a Megane RS spec drivetrain with coilovers and possibly RS spec brakes, and later on....who knows? :smile: Cheers, gazserm.

2. A bit of an update: got my hands on a few part numbers a couple weeks ago, and it turned out that a Megane 225 system would indeed fit my Scenic (save for the exit pipes, obviously, so that'll be modified), so I ordered a Milltek catback from K-Tec, which will get here in about a week and a half. Pretty damn excited!

3. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Got any pics? Be great to see this with some RS bits on it.

4. That's the longer term plan looks-wise as well as performance-wise. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow!

5. As promised here come a few pics of the car. (Please excuse me for not being able to use the pic upload thingy properly.)

OttóMotor2015.11.jpg

6. Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  7. Looking good there mate :cool:

8. Thanks man, I guess it's not bad for a Scenic, huh? :cool: :tongueout: Maybe later on I'll add a Megane II RS front bumper and probably the rear bumper as well. After the Milltek catback in around march-april summer wheels will come as well, the plan is a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in 9x18 in white. (Finding proper wheels in 18 inch with a decent width and a lug pattern of 4x100 isn't an easy task, especially with a limited budget :tongueout:).

9. Nmp

Nmp

Looks good, but I'm not a big fan of bodykits.

10. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

23976365540_f08c896855_k.jpg

I gotta be honest... I really like that! Mad to see the engine in a Scenic! Try and fit some OEM sports bits like the wheels and Renault Sport badges, will look awesome then!

Mikey4410 likes this.
  11. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Bar those rear lights, I really like that!

Bowen likes this.
  12. Thanks! It's quite modest, so I'll stick to it for now, but later on I think I'll get Megane 225 or R26 bumpers on it, so on the longer run I'm going for a (non-existent) Scenic RS look :wink:

13. Thanks man :cool: As far as I know there are a couple differences between the RS engine and mine, but nothing I can't replace with RS parts, you know..... :tongueout:
    As for the badges, the front doors already say 'Renault Sport' instead of the stock 2.0T :wink:

14. Thanks! I actually do like the taillights, especially as later on I want to continue with the blue-and-white theme (a bit of a nod to Gordini). Hopefully this spring I'll also get a set of white wheels, just meed to get the money together for it :tongueout:

15. Wee bit of an update: the Milltek catback arrived today, and.....of course I'm not home :mad: My dad picked it up for me, though, so I'll hopefully be able to get it fitted next week! Looking forward to that a lot :smiley:

16. The Milltek arrived, happy days! Can't wait till some time next week when it'll be fitted! The quality seems to be rather good as well, I guess there's a reason Milltek is quite well known :tongueout: The stock exhaust looks like junk compared to this beauty... I'll post some proper pics up once I figure this pic upload sh*t out....

Attached Files:

17. That looks great mate.

Renault should have made this as a rival to Vauxhall/Opel Zafira GSi/VXR

18. Exactly! That's about my long term goal with the car, a slightly tuned Scenic RS :smiley: Later on I'll actually want to put Meg 225 or 230 bumpers on it!

19. Nmp

Nmp

20. Yeah, bad weather, a freshly removed rear bumper extension and a cut up bumper results in a miserable status haha. Thanks though! I'll probably get the car cleaned in a few days, and after that it'd be nice to get the bumper done as well. Till then I'll be enjoying the sounds from inside...where I can't see how it looks lol.

21. It's been a while since I last updated this post, so here we go: the Scenic got its new shoes in may in the form of a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in 9x18 ET35 in white wrapped in Michelin Pilot Sport 4 rubber. I'll post a few pics up as soon as I can finally figure out how to post them properly....:smirk: Now to get the rear bumper sorted and an oil change for both the engine and the gearbox done, plus figure out the throttle problem.... speaking of which, if anyone knows why when on full throttle the car goes then goes into limp mode for two seconds and then goes again for a few seconds and then limp mode again and so on, I'd appreciate some input. I was thinking probably a sensor or some bad connection, hopefully nothing more...

22. One shot of the Scenic on its new shoes:

29306459271_330a5e748b_k.jpg

Xanda73 likes this.
  23. That is freaking awesome!

gazserm likes this.
  24. Thanks man :smile:

25. Finally got the rear bumper sorted along with an engine and gearbox oil change (the latter only for my peace of mind) as well as a bit of paint correction here and there. I've had a bogging down problem quite a few times lately where on full chat the car suddenly lost all power for a second or two, then came back, the no power again and it went on and on until you let go of the throttle. It was diagnosed as an occasional misfire in cylinder 1, so as ignition turned out to without any mistake, the car will soon be off for an injector cleaning. Hopefully that'll solve the problem. As it is with most problems like this, though, I can't be sure, so if anyone knows anything about it I'd appreciate some input! Anyway, a few pics:

30136271841_60fc7c8181_k.jpg

29925455990_c80a933e23_k.jpg

30186755736_ac6127f8e0_k.jpg

29925446440_4e81543d60_k.jpg

More and better pics will hopefully come soon when the weather will be good enough to be worth it to clean the car properly.

26. Awesome work dude, I´m from Spain and I have a Grand Scenic 2.0 T "like" yours.
    Since I bougth my GS I always asked to me how many parts are similar between F4R 776 and F4R 774.

Great work

gazserm likes this.
  27. I really like this, how Renault should've made it in the first place, keep up the good work mate!

gazserm likes this.
  28. looks cool but rear lights are tat

gazserm likes this.
  29. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Brilliant that.

gazserm likes this.
  30. Thanks malignosc! Good luck with your GS, let me know if you have any questions! :smile:

31. Thanks Poppaboost! :smile: I think so, too! Next up is probably the suspension, but more power is very tempting as well...

32. Thanks harveym3! Yeah you're not the first who's not fond of the taillights, but I'm keeping them for now... :smile:

33. Thanks Naith! :smile:

34. Update: the engine limp mode issues solved by tightening the battery connections.....hopefully. Hasn't done it since so it's a good sign! *knock on wood* Also talked to Paul from RS-Tuning and learned that as the rods are the weakest link in these engines and my rods are the same as the 225's, my engine can most probably cope with the same amount of power, which means 280-300 hp on stock internals....Useful bit of info.....now to get the money together! Thanks for all the input guys! Cheers, gazserm

35. So acording to that, some internals between F4R 776 and F4R 774 are the same? Here in Spain there isn´t a lot ot Scenic 2.0T. This engine is mostly fitted on Megane GT here. Because of this, there isn´t a lot of chiptuners that works with this engine.
    Have you flashed the ecu? if the answer is yes, How many horse power did you increased? How about fuel consumition?

36. Compression is also higher so i doubt you'll be able to extract the same amount of power tbh

37. Yeah some of the internals are the same, in fact, most of them are, just not the pistons. My car got mapped about 10 years ago and it got 200 hp bone stock. I'll update this thread once something is done to the car, but if you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a pm! :smile:

malignocsc likes this.
  38. Yep, you are probably right, although I think it only means that they'll have to map the car differently than a Meg RS, resulting in a different engine character. I believe knocking will be the interesting part... All I can say right now is that we'll see, but I don't think it will happen in 2017, my budget's way too tight for that. I want a set of coilovers and an LSD first! :smiley:

39. Power will be limited because of the CR.